TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:52 am 

Hello, looking for any advice on best
plan for winter performance tires...

have a metro with 12 inch rims

any help appreciated

Joe :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:26 pm 

I don't recall my friend in Grand Forks having studded tires for his van... Anyway, depending on how much precipitation you get, less than an inch per month may only warrant All Season tires. IF NoDak knows how to clear roads and you don't do Deer Mountain.

Narrower tires are better in snow. Sink in. Studded tires are better on ice and frozen pack, OK in snow. But you knew that. Personally, I like the studded tires.

Get an extra set of wheels and have the tires mounted once. You can change them at will in your garage. My Geo came with 4 Goodyear Ultra Grip P145/80R12 studded tires on it in Nov. 2006. Two 1500 mi. seasons, no wear. At $40/swap or $80 per year it was easy to fork out $125 for 4 OK junk yard wheels. Needed cleaning and painting. Watch eBay. Got some nice sport tires mounted (Spring) on the best set of wheels.

Save money and just get 2 wheel/tire sets for the front and practice drifting. :D Actually FWD is really good on winter roads. Might put some weight in the trunk w/o 4 wheel studs.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:59 pm 

i can confirm this. climbing up a high slope hill on all-seasons no problem and then another time up a hill while 'big pickup trucks' struggling while i pass them . i sensed the great animosity their beady little eyes when they glared over to their left.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:18 am 

How 'bout these?

23x8.50x12

:D Kidding....

Any skinny stock type tire with good tread depth will do the job. Two winters ago, with 195/50/15's, I couldn't go anywhere. Prior to that, with the 12's, I could go anywhere, as long as the body didn't drag the top of the snow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:23 pm 

Your best bet is to upgrade to 13 inch geo rims. You will then have a much better selection of tires to choose from. There are very few 12 inch tires being made now.

I found all season 12 inch tires to be worthless in the ND winters.

I have upgraded to 13 inch rims and installed all season tires that are suppose to be better in snow. I haven't had snow yet, but the ride with the 13 inchers is 10times better than the old 12s

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbullet ... p?t=901753