TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: camber adjusters
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:27 pm 

ive been reading up a bit on here about camber adjuster particularly the rear couldnt find a hooj amount of help but did find some info on making the adjustments at the botom hub end instead of at the top in the boot, i then had a look at my car and have had an idea - fabricating the rear wishbones were the hub bolts on to make it adjustable there by means of fabricating a slot in the wishbone (extend the wishbone slightly aswel then put sum tabs on the face of the wishbone and use a bolts with offset washer to push against the tab to move throught the slot (a copy of the design on the rear trailing arms were they bolt on to the chasis in the middle of the car)

also make a simular design on both the holes on the front shock at the bottom were it bolts onto the hub

any thoughts or suggestions about these ideas

Post subject: Re: camber adjusters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:25 am 

Front camber is easy, you just have to enlarge the holes on thhe shocks and hit the wheel alignment service. I guess the back end is the same thing . I used strong bolts to hold the shock and hub so that it doesn't move when hitting large bumps or potholes(plenty of those in roumania).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:10 am 
Teamswift Racer

swifty -norfolk wrote:
ive been reading up a bit on here about camber adjuster particularly the rear couldnt find a hooj amount of help but did find some info on making the adjustments at the botom hub end instead of at the top in the boot, i then had a look at my car and have had an idea - fabricating the rear wishbones were the hub bolts on to make it adjustable there by means of fabricating a slot in the wishbone (extend the wishbone slightly aswel then put sum tabs on the face of the wishbone and use a bolts with offset washer to push against the tab to move throught the slot (a copy of the design on the rear trailing arms were they bolt on to the chasis in the middle of the car)

also make a simular design on both the holes on the front shock at the bottom were it bolts onto the hub

any thoughts or suggestions about these ideas

Yep just file the holes out where the rear hub bolts to the lower arm, put some washers on, one you have set up both sides then tack weld the washers in place, once you have dialed in the rear camber you won't want to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:46 pm 

started making some rear camber adjusters up this week with spare time at work here are the pics what you guys think

all hand made using mill lathe and piller drill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:00 am 

Any updates on your conversion as I could do with getting some more -camber on the back of my rally car.
Any idea on cost if I sent you a pair of rear arms?

Andy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 pm 

no not yet sorry bought a house so funds are holdin me up and want to get moved in etc before i pull the car apart hopfuly soon tho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:34 pm 

Have any of you guys looked at offset bolts for the bottom of strut. They fit in bottom of strut to hub and are ajustable. just thought that would be easy compared to slotting arms.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 pm 

hotrodray1 wrote:
Have any of you guys looked at offset bolts for the bottom of strut. They fit in bottom of strut to hub and are ajustable. just thought that would be easy compared to slotting arms.

Have you actually looked at the rear suspension? Take a look and tell us where you would put the offset bolts of which you speak.

Personally I'd say that slotted arm is probably the easiest way to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm 
Teamswift Racer

The bolts on the front struts are bigger than the one used on the rear to bolt the hub to the suspension arm so using 'swift' camber bolts won't work, if you get a smaller set then they MIGHT work, personally it took about 30mins to file out the holes an equal amount on both sides and tack weld in some washers, it's a no brainer decision, costs nothing and makes a massive difference, especially on cold tyres. One word of warning though is it will increase the rear track slightly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 am 

is this mod worth doing? ive never really had any issues with the back end handling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:54 am 
Teamswift Racer

If you drive your car at ten tenths then yes, for a road car probably not.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:52 am 
'zuki addict

Is that your car in your profile pic stevieh6? If so as Dattam suggested, rear camber isn't the way to go, look at a 20mm rear sway bar, that will solve all your problems.

http://www.bdmotorsports.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Rear camber will INCREASE rear lateral grip where as a bigger rear bar will actually increase the slip angle (basically DECREASE rear grip relative to the front), increasing the rear slip angle reduces front understeer which is the dominant handling characteristic in these cars.
Adding camber all around is an easy way of increasing overall grip, bars are used for balance and reducing body roll, there is much more to it than this but it will suffice for now. =)