TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm 

Forgive me if this post is loooooong =)

Here goes, I recently came across a complete Front brake setup of off a JDM spec. 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer GSR (1800cc Turbo AWD). I know as a fact that these brakes were also used on the Galant E33, which was sold in North America & Canada. So hit the breaker yard folks! 8)

GSR Lancer Front Ends

This is a similar Lancer from which I got the above front ends

The same brake setup came on this model Galant

The specs are as follows;

Lancer GSR 4WD Turbo - CM5A - 4G93T
Size/Orientation
256mm Diameter
45.5mm Height
24mm Thickness
Vented

Suzuki Swift GTi
Size/Orientation
250mm Diameter
42mm height
18mm Thickness
Vented

I know the diameter increase isn't that much, only 6mm increase, but I was impressed with the extra thickness for its heat sink capability, and if you look at the pictures below, you will see that the pads have quite a bit more surface area! Another important observation was that the Caliper Piston is the same diameter as the GTi - 50mm. So in theory, the brake biasing 'shouldn't' be affected too much.

Installation

Mounting the rotor was the easy part, this model Lancer has the same PCD pattern as the GTi; 4 X 114.3mm. you can drill and countersink the Mitsubishi rotor in the same method that the Suzuki rotor is attached to the drive flange to stop the rotor from flopping around when the wheel is off, I chose to do this later when I'm satisfied with the performance.

Now unfortunately, fitting the caliper bracket was not quite as easy. The original Suzuki hub has a caliper bolt center of 140mm exactly, and the Mitsubishi caliper bracket was only 128mm and at the wrong position to match the pad correctly to the rotor edge. I first thought that I could just easily have a machine shop weld in the Mitsubishi holes and re-drill the Suzuki 140mm centers, I was quickly informed by my buddy at the machine shop that after he welds the caliper bracket, the metal will become quite hard, and may not be able to be drilled and he didn't think that it would be safe! I heeded his advice and left with my head hung low, but soon enough I came up with another plan! I could use regular mild steel bolts (not hardened!!) to 'fill' in the holes, cut them short, and tack them in place. The next move was to correct the alignment of the caliper bracket outwards (see the 'height' difference of the rotors above) by removing about 2.5mm of the surface where the holes were to be drilled (see pic below). The next step was to fit the rotor to the drive flange, put the caliper bracket (less the caliper of course) in place with the brake pads installed onto it to properly align the pad to the outside of the rotor edge. I clamped the pads to the rotor with a simple wood working clamp, and carefully marked using a thin steel scribe the exact position of where I had to drill the new mounting hole. I used my bench top drill press and drilled one hole at a time, tapped it to the 12mm X 1,25 thread, fitted it to the hub, re-aligned the pads to the rotor edge, clamped them again and marked the second hole. I drilled & tapped the last hole, and fitted it to the hub, SUCCESS!! :twisted:

The stock Suzuki brake line fitted perfectly onto the Mitsubishi caliper also! with the caliper bracket installed and the caliper fitted, I was ready to bleed the brakes, and take a careful road test. :wink:

Anyone with questions feel free to ask me, I want to help you guys as much as the input from this forum has helped me! :D

Impressions:

I immediately felt that the brake pedal was more firm, and the initial application of the brakes was night & day in comparison to the stock brakes. It has been a week now since I installed them and the brakes are simply amazing!! there are no front to rear biasing issues, and they are impossible to fade!

Cheers,

Daniel

Some links I compiled while I was researching the brake upgrade. You can get a better view of the caliper, pads, etc.

Standard Brake Pads from Camskill.co.uk - Standard Brake Pads Link
Mintex Brake Pads from Camskill.co.uk - Mintex MDB1509 - M1144 Link
EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads from Camskill.co.uk - Green Stuff Brake Pads Link
Front Brake Caliper from Camskill.co.uk - Front Brake Caliper Link
Front Brake Caliper seal kit from Camskill.co.uk - Fr Brake Caliper Seal kit Link
Standard Brake Disc Rotors from Camskill.co.uk - Standard Brake Rotors Link
Cross Drilled Brake Rotors from Camskill.co.uk - Cross Drilled Brake Rotors Link

Picture time!!

Rotor thickness comparison

Brake Pad comparison
Suzuki Below, Mitsubishi above

Caliper Bracket showing the filled holes and the re-drilled Bolt hole center lines

Other views

Last edited by Swifted on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:31 am 
The Smuggler

Excellent post nice work!

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:03 pm 

Thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 pm 

Have you corrected the caliper off set?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:47 pm 

lol, sorry 'bout that, it looks like the caliper really is crooked, but it is because I only caught the 2 bolts (not tight) to take the picture. if you look at the picture below of the caliper bracket, you will see where I actually had the machine shop mill down about 0.150" of the face to properly center the caliper bracket.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 am 

From the Galant which year would it be here in North America ???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:36 pm 

Turboraz wrote:

It's the 8th Generation Galant in the US, but I do see a potential problem; in the US the wheels were 5 lug, in our market we have the 4 lug (4 X 114.3mm). so some redrilling of the rotor hats would be necessary. :huh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 am 

Swifted wrote:
Turboraz wrote:

It's the 8th Generation Galant in the US, but I do see a potential problem; in the US the wheels were 5 lug, in our market we have the 4 lug (4 X 114.3mm). so some redrilling of the rotor hats would be necessary. :huh:

Thanks and congrats for an excellent write up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 pm 

Great write up swifted...can't wait to get my hand on a set!

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 am 

I wonder if this would apply to a 1.6 4wd :roll:

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD