TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:21 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Konig rewinds
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 pm 

Hey i am new hear just read everything on this thread on the tire and wheel size but did not find much on 14 My question is if i can use 14x7 with a -9 on the ssgt i read a bit on offset but not sure if that means -9mm or what i want to use the konig rewinds since i like the race car look back home where i am from 13x7 and 13x8 are very common but i don't want to loose top end speed because of the tire sizeImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Konig rewinds
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:13 am 
Suzuki Elder

tire diameters that are larger than stock actually change the ratio to favor speed. if you consider the circumference of the tire, a larger radius translates to a larger circumference.

that means that for every revolution of the tire, it covers more distance. hence, a single rev of a smaller 13" tire would travel a shorter distance than a single rev of a 14" tire having a larger circumference.

the biggest thing is that the larger tire diameter trades that top end ability for torque. it also might drop your developed hp at the top end and result in an engine situation which actually makes the car slower.

another consideration is the weight, or rotating mass. generally, the larger the wheel, the more it weighs and the harder the engine is pressed to make it go around. on top of that, the larger diameter results in a longer lever arm which affects braking. brakes that are designed for the 12" wheels just don't cut it with 14" wheels. the braking effect is diminished. bolt on a larger rim with a larger diameter tire and you may end up needing to improve your brakes.

i know that with anything over 6" width rims on my vert, i run into problems rubbing the inner fender with the sidewalls and tread shoulder on the rears. anything over a 14" rim and a 185 width and i run into trouble with the tire clearing the wheel house (especially at the rear with the gt side skirts) and rubbing the front inner fender at full lock on the steering. with a lot of test fitting and suspension mods, i was able to get 15" x 6" rims and 195/ 50 15 tires on with a 1 and a half inch suspension drop.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:39 pm 

yeah i understand the tier size my car came with the factory steelies 14" and i want to keep them in the same range i just think that the minilite style is sick and that konig offer 14" in the same style well even better but i just go with what has been provenImageImageImageImageImage 13x7 or 8 will be just fine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 pm 

RP91gt wrote:
yeah i understand the tier size my car came with the factory steelies 14" and i want to keep them in the same range i just think that the minilite style is sick and that konig offer 14" in the same style well even better but i just go with what has been provenImageImageImageImageImage 13x7 or 8 will be just fine

So are these a 13 or 14 rime if there 14s what size tire are they running? Im running a 175 60 14 and want a smaller sidewall?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 pm 

the red car and grey are 13 by 8 the white and black are 13 by 7 i think they are running 50 series and that grey one are 60

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:03 am 

Here's a useful thing I found for matching tire sizes when changing to bigger rims. Obviously if you're getting bigger rims, you need smaller tires.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:07 pm 

These will be on my wish list for Santa ! Haha but no serious where do I get a set of these ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:21 pm 

Rota has some called RB they are at good price.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:55 pm 

RP91gt wrote:
Rota has some called RB they are at good price.

Dam those are nice just looked them up ... Ima look on CL maybe Ill be lucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 pm 

too many others to list

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:33 pm 

Based on research I've done (haven't owned any) Rota's aren't really that bad: cast is cast, forged is forged. I do know people who own them and race them with no issues. I expect the Rewinds aren't forged either, so similar product.

Also probably a bit heavy (~15 lbs is my memory from checking around but do your own research). And then there's tires. I only know of one supplier for 185/60 R13 street tires (Falken Ziez 912: not rcomp, not truck tires, but "all season" performance tires) in the U.S. and I'm not sure you really want to stretch them on to rims that wide, though maybe that's what this is all about...

The Incidents are $300 shipped, but might not suit your style--I admit I like the Panasport rip-off look as well, but they are both too heavy and out of budget (not a good combo) for me. Also I do like to have tires that are well matched to the rim width but see no reason to stretch them to fit rims that are 2" wider than necessary just to make a fashion statement.