TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
Hi guys, been reading this forum for some time now and this will be the first opportunity to post a question here...

I have a 96 Gti... I am currently using H&R springs all around with Koni shocks... The combo certainly makes a difference with the handling... But I am facing an issue with the rear springs compressing the
moment something or someone is placed in the back of the car... The problem is evident when they are just two persons sitting up front... Besides the odd look with the front in the air all the time, the
shocks are suffering as well since they no longer have 'full' travel when the rear is compressed...

So, options... does anyone know of a brand and model spring I can get (in the US market) for the rears that will reduce the effect of 'sagging'... I know 'comfort' will also go away, but I am prepared to
deal with it... the car is a everyday driver and I am photographer with gear that is occasionally stuff in the back...



Thanks
Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
No one? :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:37 am
Posts: 1059
Location: Vancouver, Best Cannabis
replace with geo metro rear springs

_________________
Silver 2000 Firefly 4DR; 16V SOHC, 3 to 5 speed swap, install PS and AC, remote and auto start, PL, PW, kill and start switch, Valentine 1, behind-bumper CAI, 55MM TB with coolant-bypass, polyurethane-fill engine/shifter mounts, modified to short shifter, upgraded electrical system, CS130 alternator, 90/160W headlights + relay mod, ceramic H4 plug/harness
To do: finish stereo, 4000K H4 HIDs, short block replacement
'sponsored' by Captain Crunch, Lordco, Felpro, Permatex, Royal Purple


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 pm
Posts: 645
Location: brainerd MN
A friend of mine has the same problem when transporting his mother-in-law in his 3/4 ton suburban :ROFL: :ROFL:

_________________
Current stable:
1987 Sprint Turbo (Porsche Guards Red) 75k 5sp,AC, w/cruise, Resto-Mod,owned since 1997) (looking for dash-pad)
1989 GTI (white)104k 5sp,AC (Resto-mod completed 1999). (looks great, But rusted out ,need clean southern body.)Help!?
1991 Vert (red) 129k 5sp,AC, Resto-Mod, 75% Done.(Clean SW car)
1993 GT(Teal) 103k 5sp,AC,w/PW (Resto-Mod,60% done.)(Clean SW car)
1994 Swift GS 4Dr sedan (Painted 2005 Ford Kona Blue) 95k 1.3 SOHC 5sp


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
TheSilverBullet wrote:
replace with geo metro rear springs


Are the rates much higher than the H&R's? and they are no options on this of the planet for rears with rates of 400lbs through 500lbs?
i really would like something that retains a similar ride height as the H&R but much stiffer...

Thanks for the response guys... i would appreciate any other..

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:45 am
Posts: 405
Location: Palmyra,VA
Havin that front end up alittle higher is helping your handling. Unless you guys wieght 200+ each or have 200lbs of speakers in the trunk. Are they bottoming out?

If there not bottoming out change the rubber donuts on the rear springs with thicker poly ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 1047
Location: Canby, OR
You can also get USDM MK4 rear springs, and cut them. They start life out longer than a MK2/3 spring, so by the time you cut them to give the ride height the H&R's are giving you, they should be substantially less squat prone.

_________________
Anyone who's been around children will tell you that they are in fact quite stupid. Many of them cannot even read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
airwerks wrote:
You can also get USDM MK4 rear springs, and cut them. They start life out longer than a MK2/3 spring, so by the time you cut them to give the ride height the H&R's are giving you, they should be substantially less squat prone.


Hmmm... wow... never got a notification for this response... Thanks, I will certainly look into this...

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 789
Location: lisboa;Portugal
i´m in a process of replacing my sedan rears, wich is using gti cutted springs, to the fronts of kia sportage, wire diameter 14, 5 cm , vs the gti wire 13,5, and besides they much are longer thsan gti´s, and that means tha in cutting them , they will ofer much more rate vs the gti
i´ll probally will do it till the end of this week, if you want i´ll keep you posted on this :D

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/811447


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:10 pm
Posts: 880
Location: Vancouver, WA
airwerks wrote:
You can also get USDM MK4 rear springs, and cut them. They start life out longer than a MK2/3 spring, so by the time you cut them to give the ride height the H&R's are giving you, they should be substantially less squat prone.

I still need to do this. Mine bottoms out pretty easily with the h&r mk2 rear springs.

_________________
98 swift 1.6 16v swap
03 cobra bolt ons
97 3000gt vr4 e85, high comp, bolt ons
too many others to list


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 789
Location: lisboa;Portugal
data taken from on a replacemente parts website
the front kia sportage springs are the same diameter that the swift rears, inspite they are much taller

they are a direct swap, but have to be cutted, and get more stiffer

swift rears:
thickness 13,5 mm
outside diameter 121 mm
tall : 241 mm

kia sportage fronts:
14,5 mm
outside diameter 121 mm
tall: 319 mm

the swap after cutting them was a hit
the rear doesn,t dance any more on the corners
had to cut them a lot in order to just fit 3 fingers between the fenders and the tyre, but the cornering was great and stifness also
great results


Attachments:
kia sportage frente.jpg
kia sportage frente.jpg [ 37.17 KIB | Viewed 2156 times ]

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/811447
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
Very interesting... do you have photos of the car in its current state? i would love to see images of it when it's drive only and then with some sort of
load in the rear (cargo/passengers)... I was also wondering recently if the increased 'Spring Rate' would affect the performance of the sway bar...

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
Hi all... I went searching for other options at my favorite cheap store... I found a few candidates... not sure if they will do the job well though... your opinions are welcomed...
have a look see at the below links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280719571213?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280719571887?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220824846932?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 789
Location: lisboa;Portugal
Angry-Alien wrote:
Very interesting... do you have photos of the car in its current state? i would love to see images of it when it's drive only and then with some sort of
load in the rear (cargo/passengers)... I was also wondering recently if the increased 'Spring Rate' would affect the performance of the sway bar...

Alien


i ´ve cutted 3 coils on the kia front spring
the car seats great and handling it´s better that i´ve ever seen
i´ll try to take pics with two persons in the rear seats and empty
but the distance betwwen coils in kia springs it´s half compared to the gti rears :D

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/811447


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 789
Location: lisboa;Portugal
Angry-Alien wrote:
Hi all... I went searching for other options at my favorite cheap store... I found a few candidates... not sure if they will do the job well though... your opinions are welcomed...
have a look see at the below links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280719571213?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280719571887?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220824846932?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Alien

they all have 8 coils
so to cut them about 3 coils it´s ok
i had to fill the first coil in rubber to fit decently in the stock rubber donut, but it went very nice :mrgreen:
mine were used in decent conditions and shape, the car was form 2002 :D on a scrapyard they cost me here in Portugal with postage, about 60 euros, more or less the same in USD

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/811447


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
swift1.0 wrote:
i ´ve cutted 3 coils on the kia front spring
the car seats great and handling it´s better that i´ve ever seen
i´ll try to take pics with two persons in the rear seats and empty
but the distance betwwen coils in kia springs it´s half compared to the gti rears :D



Cool... I may be removing my full size spare and replace it with a donut to cut weight in the rear...

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
swift1.0 wrote:
they all have 8 coils
so to cut them about 3 coils it´s ok
i had to fill the first coil in rubber to fit decently in the stock rubber donut, but it went very nice :mrgreen:
mine were used in decent conditions and shape, the car was form 2002 :D on a scrapyard they cost me here in Portugal with postage, about 60 euros, more or less the same in USD



What's the significance of the numbers of coils? do you have photos of the rubber donut and spring combo?

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 789
Location: lisboa;Portugal
Angry-Alien wrote:
swift1.0 wrote:
they all have 8 coils
so to cut them about 3 coils it´s ok
i had to fill the first coil in rubber to fit decently in the stock rubber donut, but it went very nice :mrgreen:
mine were used in decent conditions and shape, the car was form 2002 :D on a scrapyard they cost me here in Portugal with postage, about 60 euros, more or less the same in USD



What's the significance of the numbers of coils? do you have photos of the rubber donut and spring combo?

Alien


the number of coils it´s because those ones are from a 4x4 (fronts), so put in our rears has they are and you see :D
i cut one coil at the time to adjust the drop and don´t smash down a good pair of springs
but i can tell you that, the differences are in cornering, much stiffer and no bouncing on corners, and even wiht four persons on the car , plus the rear cargo compartiment almost full, it doesn´t it the rear bump stops on the shocks
i forgot to take photos :oops: :oops:

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/811447


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
Photos! :) ... I am getting some other issues on the car worked out before I purchase a set of those springs... As soon as you can,
post up those photos... :)

Alien


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
Posts: 789
Location: lisboa;Portugal
Angry-Alien wrote:
Photos! :) ... I am getting some other issues on the car worked out before I purchase a set of those springs... As soon as you can,
post up those photos... :)

Alien

it´s a promise
tomorrpw i´ll take some photos

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/811447


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:29 pm
Posts: 62
Location: JAMAICA
swift1.0 wrote:
Angry-Alien wrote:
Photos! :) ... I am getting some other issues on the car worked out before I purchase a set of those springs... As soon as you can,
post up those photos... :)

Alien

it´s a promise
tomorrpw i´ll take some photos



No worries man... :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group