TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: OPEN - tire rant inside!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm 

As you may have read in my other posts, I am (slowly) restoring my 89 metro 2 door. Well PO had 155/80/R12's on the front 2 tires and 155R12's on the rear. The psi rating on the 155R12's were "max" at 44psi and the fronts were at 35. I was running them at 5psi over max for best fuel efficiency. The rear tires were pretty worn and in need of replacing and I have been putting it off with the plan to do a swap of brakes and suspension from the newer Metro's with the 12mm studs AND get a nice set of rims wrapped in new 195/50/r15's all at the same time. Finances are a bit slower than I planned and have reached a point that I HAD to replace the rear tires to get me by. Went to the local Discount Tire and got 2 new 155/80/r12's on the rear and they re-balanced my front tires and spare for me too. The smoothness was instantly noticed in a fantastic way...on the surface roads. :? Then I got out on the freeway.... :( The tire place had set the psi in all 4 tires (now all matching 155/80/r12's) to the "recommended" 35 psi. Instantly noticed how my rear end was super "swimmy". HAD to get in the slow lane and do around 60 to keep it stable! I got home and checked the car out thinking something in the bushings or suspension was lose or something and found nothing out of place. Looked online for answers and found that my old 155/R12's had a much stronger sidewall and the higher psi rating was the whole reason for my non-swimmy rear end. :cry: So. .. Now I am even more motivated to get the parts and do the swap and get those new rims and tires and regain my go-cart handling.

/rant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm 
Suzuki Elder

drop from 50 to 45 on the sidewall ratio.

unless you have set up your suspension rock hard, the 50 profile 15" tires will catch the rear wheel house lip. they'll also get up against the inner fender on the front at full lock. the 50 profile 15" tires just barely clear the rear of the wheel house (at the front of the rocker) as well.

195/45 15 will clear on a hatchback all the time except with full compression of the struts.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:09 pm 

So, I dug around the interwebs and found that these 12 inch tires are tough to find and "options" are sparse. I didn't see a positive solution if I went back and got pissed at the Tire shop if they didn't have other options. I still felt like the sales guy should have said something like, "sorry, but these are gunna be softer and handle shittier but there arnet any other options avail." So...I wrote a long winded email to their corporate offices recounting the experience. I

I got a call this afternoon from some big manager guy apologizing and informing me that he found 2 tires in Califorinia that he can have shipped here and swap out the ones I bought at no extra charge. The new ones from Cali have a psi rating of 44 max like I wanted. They should be here after the weekend. Will give an update after they are installed.