TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 am 

I am trying to retrofit rear disc brake on my Swift 1.3L , SOHC 16v swift sedan, Esteem here in India. It has drum on the rear. I have been trying to find parts for the modification and found the following companies supplying rear brake caliper for upto 1999 , 3/5 door hatch as well as sedan style.
Following are the parts i have found on the net.
Centric Parts 141.48602 Brake Caliper Rear Left and RAYBESTOS FRC10052 Rear Brake Caliper
Now the suppliers for both keep saying that they wont fit my car. I need advise on these calipers. should Use them or are any other calipers which can be used for my modification.
Any help on this topic will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 am 

You do realize you need much more than just the calipers, right? In my opinion, it's not worth it, unless you're racing. Drums are good enough for the rear, but if you want something extra, brembo make drums for our cars.

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 am 

I know the parts needed for such a conversion, I am just curious as to whether these calipers. Discs , mounting, etc I can source and/or make, just need to know if these caliper are used on the GTi or no and
I need the disc conversion as the car has a turbo conversion, need more stopping power for track use soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 am 

drums actually have better stopping power than discs. they just dont dissapate heat as well.

since you are in another country im assuming your car is the same as our 89-94 so youll need the GTI knuckles, hubs, brake lines at the rear, park brake cables, discs, and calipers.

quite honestly rear discs are more for bling than anything else when on a car this small.

too many others to list

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:13 pm 

VR4 wrote:
drums actually have better stopping power than discs. they just dont dissapate heat as well.

since you are in another country im assuming your car is the same as our 89-94 so youll need the GTI knuckles, hubs, brake lines at the rear, park brake cables, discs, and calipers.

quite honestly rear discs are more for bling than anything else when on a car this small.

Exactly what I'm thinking, very little stopping power is needed in the rear.

99 Honda CB600F Hornet
90 Suzuki Swift 1.6 GLX 4WD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:45 pm 

I think Inspect the bearing and replace if bad or clean out old grease and repack, second thing is seeing if your frame is compatible. The only thing you have to supply to complete the axle end of this upgrade is the calipers you want to use and a hose to connect them up.