TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:58 am 

Greetings,

I've been modelling and machining suspension parts for my 1995 Geo Metro for rally racing. The rear is mostly sorted, and now I'm working on the front. After a lot of research and back and forth with Bilstein, and a little help from Jen, I found some "36mm" inverted shocks to work in both the front and the rear. I decided to show you all what I'm doing for the front, as it is a bit more sophisticated than what's required in the rear.

I just need to make one minor revision to the design of the upper mounts pictured below. Hopefully, materials come in this week and machining can start next weekend :)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am 

This looks good....keep us posted, especially if you decide to go into production on them. What application Bilstein strut did you use?

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 pm 

If I sold kits, they'd probably end up over $2000, not sure how many people are spending that much on their suspensions on here :)

I'll post some specs and part numbers later.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:05 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Wow thats an expensive strut top, a very large and thick peice of alloy is required when mounting the bearing up that high, I suspect you are looking at some long struts, Subaru wrx struts would work with the extra length you have gained, did you offset the bearing for a little camber and castor increase?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:23 pm 

The mounts started as a 6"x6"x2" chunk of aluminum, and the spring cups started as 3.5" aluminum rounds.

Ideally I would have used shocks that were about 2" shorter but with the same amount of travel as these, but I couldn't get the folks at Bilstein to find any in the catalog that had these properties, hence the slightly complicated design. I'd have preferred to just have some flat camber plates to mount to.

My plan is to drill the lower mounts for camber. I'm only aiming for about 1.5-2 degrees, so it shouldn't be that hard to hit the target.

It's only a little money and a lot of time if I don't like how these turn out, since I'm machining them myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 pm 

Hello,

Im impressed your work, but I have few question :wink:

Which one of bilstein it is? We also have some bilstein struts in our race&rally SS GTI and we made camber plate for this spec.

how you want to secure uniball (spherical bearing) against puling it from this upper alu part ? only close fit?

Dont You use any bushing for spacing bearing and cup? Cup have enough space for moving without touching upper part?

Regards,
Maciek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm 

Front shocks are: F4-V36-0104-H1

Which are you using? Bilstein couldn't find any for me that fit. I had to keep emailing with part numbers to ask for measurements. Really tedious.

The spherical bearing is prevented from moving up by the upper mount, and downward due to press fit.

I've designed some stainless bushings to place between the spring mount and the spherical, and between the nut and the spherical.

The cup has enough clearance. I think, from memory, I calculated 16 degrees of rotation is needed, it's got more than that.

- Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm 

Yes that probably the same strut but i dont rememeber S/N only that it was came from some VW model.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 pm 

darksmile wrote:
Yes that probably the same strut but i dont rememeber S/N only that it was came from some VW model.

If it's the same part, then I probably have an extra 1.5" of compression travel over yours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 am 

So if that is the same strut how you made that 1,5" travel more?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 am 
Teamswift Racer

darksmile wrote:
So if that is the same strut how you made that 1,5" travel more?

:lol: this is why I politely mentioned I didn't like your design, not a dig at you as the quality is excellent but making it adjustable wastes valuable space at the top of the shock.

Key word you missed out was 'compression', with the bearing mounted higher you run less droop, the strut is so long anyway that there is plenty of droop at your prefered static ride height, with out knowing and crunching all the numbers Empedocles99 might be running 3' of droop and you're probably running 4.5' of droop, difference is he'll need shorter tender springs or none at all depending on rate and is 1.5' less thru the stroke so has extra compression travel for the SAME ride height.

Here's my Koni's, those strut tops were from an airbag kit, cost a whole $80 for the pair, had to replace the bearings as they were rubbish quality, just trimmed them down, redrilled the studs and machined out the inside a fraction, load spreader is in there between the bearing and the Asco spring top, clearance looks tight but my angle of articulation is small due to the 125mm shock travel, top of shock can fit up inside the spring top by 0.75' although bumpstop shouldn't let it get quite that close.
Attachment:
Koni11.jpg
Koni11.jpg [ 76.69 KIB | Viewed 1674 times ]