TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1992 brake problems
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:09 am 

I have a 1992 Geo Metro Vert with a brake problem and need some insight into it. I had a Right rear wheel cylinder fail, the piston blew out from being out of adjustment I think. I left the car sitting for 6 months until I had the $$$ to fix it after driving a few weeks locally with just the front brakes. I replaced both rear wheel cylinders and shoes. I found the LR brake cable seized so I installed a new one during the brake repair. I bled the brakes and still could not get a good solid pedal feel so I installed a rebuilt Master Cylinder. I still do not have a good full pedal feel. When braking hard on dirt, the front brakes will slide, but not the rear. I adjusted the rear brakes up as tight as I can and still get the drums back on. Pumping the brakes does not give a full pedal feel. I thought if the rear brakes were out of adjustment I would get a full pedal if they were out of adjustment after pumping but I do not. I still have a lot of travel in the pedal after several pumps. The RR brake drum looks fairly smooth, the LR has a fair amount of wear. I just hate to keep throwing money at it. I figured I'd ask in here before doing anything else. Could I have a brake porportioning valve problem? Where is it and how or can it be reset if it's shifted? I'm open to suggestions.

Post subject: Re: 1992 brake problems
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 am 

Are you getting fluid to rear wheels?? Porportioning valve Is about in middle of firewall I have heard of problems with this take a Rubber hammer and tap on it it may very well be stuck.If you have some one with a fluid injector that would be a great help also. A fluid injector injects brake fluid in at wheel cylinders to master cylinder it will move porportioning valve back in to position some times.Good luck Keep us up dated here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 am 

I'm getting fluid to the rear. I was able to bled the rear cylinders with the help of the non-thrilled-to-help-lady of the house. I see you're from SC, I just got back from down that way. We were at Hilton Head for a horse riding clinic. I'm going to make another stab at it this afternoon after work. The F350 Powerstroke is killing me to drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm 

I ordered two new rear drum today, they should be here in the morning and I'll put them on tomarrow night and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:13 pm 

Update on problem:
I got two new drums from Advance Auto Parts. Guess what, they would not work, the center hub was so big, it rubbed the backing plate bolts. I then stuck it in my lathe to see how they looked turning, the centers are .100 too large and NOT CENTERED. The hub center was out by about .200 in. Wear Ever was the brand on the box. I then took my old drums to a buddies shop and turned them smooth and reinstalled with all new wheel cylinders and hardware . Still does not have a full pedal. I adjusted everything up as tight as I could before installing and you could even hear the rear brakes auto adjust ratchet when I applied them. I've used the Parking brake going forward and reverse, it takes very little to lock them. So now it has a new master cylinder, flat, straight drums, new wheel cylinders and a new parking brake cable. If you sit and pump the brakes they will not get solid. If you hit the brakes and hold them and crank the car the pedal drops as it should when the power brakes vaccum comes in. on the road or on dirt, if you "panic stop" and slide the wheels, only the front will lock up and slide. I'm open for ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 pm 

try re bleeding the car starting with the RR then LF then LR and RF. if you still don't have a full peddle try adjusting the rod for the master. having the rear tires lockup is not likely to happen unless your on ice.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:48 am 

Brakes have been bled again and in that order. No need to adjust the rod, it's the right length. There's no "slack" in the linkage to the master cylinder. As I apply the pedal, it's going against the master cylinder piston.