TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 pm 

I have a 87 Sprint Turbo. I'm currently doing a makeover of the front end. Years ago I had a bad wheel bearing. A shop did the job. Instead of a bearing replacement, they got a junkyard knuckle and slapped it on. Now I'm working on it and I don't know what year knuckle they used. The bearing is completely different. The hub bearing diameter is different. The strut mounts points are different.

I would gladly buy a replacement if I can find one. Can anyone help with an ID of what I have to work with?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:53 pm 

Man, somebody ought to sticky this thread, or move it to the MK1 section.

Yeah, I'm only going to say this once...(yeah right...)

and take a close look at this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29003

Any bets this raises more questions?

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:50 pm 

I didn't realize there may be that many differences in the spindles, but the bearings are a dead giveaway that the used spindle was off of a n/a car. Is there a chance that those angle/dimension differences are because it's actually off of a mk2/3 car? I did tons of mk1's then moved to mk2+ but didnt do both styles at once so never did compare things such as spindles closely. I could be dead wrong about them bring remotely compatible, but from memory think they may generally resemble each other. I'd really try and find a mk1 turbo spindle, just to make it proper, regardless of what the mystery spindle is from.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:08 am 

Phil N Ed, i had seen your picture, but I couldn't remember how things should line up when I was away from the computer and out in the driveway. I also read the thread you linked to. Now I'm confused about the possible year (MK1,MK2?) of the donor knuckle.

codyb76, I wasn't aware of the double roller bearing being the giveaway. Now it's not just a replacement knuckle. I would also need a different hub.

If anyone has a line on a complete LH Turbo knuckle, give me a heads up. By complete I mean knuckle with hub, backing plate, and associated spacers. The price of needed seals is comparable, as is 1 double roller vs 2 single bearings. I'm out the same cash either way. I really hate to put it back together the way it was, but I will if I have to. These little cars aren't very plentiful!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:39 am 
@ssclown

What a totally awesome thread. I've got four Mark1 turbos and four mk1 non turbos that have all been daily drivers plus another Mk1 turbo and 2 more Mk1 non turbos that haven't been daily drivers yet but will be in the future and almost every daily driver non turbo ended up with severely hooped wheel bearings , which I got tired of putting new bearings into so eventually I put complete turbo knuckles on non turbo cars but now thanks to the pictures in this thread I can figure out which knuckle is which and sort them out. Thankyou.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 am 
@ssclown

kevin206 wrote:
Now I'm confused about the possible year (MK1,MK2?) of the donor knuckle.

That would be awesome if Mk2 spindles can be bolted to Mk1 cars. Next time I'm at the wrecker I will get a Mk2 spindle and see if I can bolt it on to one of my Mk1 Cars.