TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm 

Does anyone know how to retract the rear calipers so I can put the rear pads on the rotors? They have the built in emergency brake, therefore I do not believe I can use a C clamp like you can on the front calipers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Shimaze

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:48 pm 
Teamswift Racer

You need to rotate the piston, it's on sort of a worm drive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 pm 

What about the caliper slides? They don't appear to be able to be pulled apart like they normally do? How did they come apart so I can grease them? They appear to be permanently fused to the slides. I can't get the rubber boots to come off?

Thanks, Shimaze

• 2001 S10 Xtreme
  • 1996 Impala SS
  • 1994 Camaro Z/28
  • 1988 Honda NX650
  • 1980 Honda PA50
Shimaze's cars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i just rebuilt a pair of rear gt calipers for my red resto-rod vert project so i'm fully refreshed on them.

the caliper pins are pretty much like any others in that they just thumb press into the calipers. the rubber boots fit into the little pots on the calipers and you have to pull out the pins before the boots will release. one of the pins has a rubber bushing on it which makes it a little difficult to remove. some replacement pins don't use that rubber bushing.

if they are locked by rust into the pots, you may have to destroy the rubber boots and twist the caliper pins out using some aggression.

the caliper pistons are, as you have identified, different than most calipers. to return the pistons to replace the pucks, you have to rotate them clockwise to screw them back down. after you replace the pads and re-assemble the brakes, you step on the brake pedal and then pull up the e-brake handle which causes the piston assemblies to rotate into proper adjustment. to get the calipers to self adjust properly you must rotate the pistons fully until they hit their internal stops.

usually, i have found old crusty calipers to be pretty stiff when you try to rotate them back in. a little silicone brake grease under the lip of the outer dust seal where it contacts the piston will help you keep from tearing up the dust seal. i use a pair of vise grips to catch the very small exposed lip of the piston to get things started. i also have a multi-fit tool with pins that engage the caliper piston which allows me to turn the piston using a 3/8" ratchet and extension. it won't fit with the piston fully extended so i use the vise grip pliers to turn it in until the specialty tool fits. along with the new silicone grease under the lip of the outer dust seal that usually gets things working to the point where the tool is effective.

caliper pins, renewal boots, and piston rebuild kits are available.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carlson-16014-B ... 11&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BETTER-BRAKE-PA ... es&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLSON-14082-B ... 9e&vxp=mtr

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:06 pm 

For the rear slide pins. The one with the rubber on the pin, which hole does it go in? does it go towards the front on the car or to the rear. I have 2 solid pins and 2 with rubbers. 1 on each side. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:31 pm 

crazy_cowboy_01 wrote:
For the rear slide pins. The one with the rubber on the pin, which hole does it go in? does it go towards the front on the car or to the rear. I have 2 solid pins and 2 with rubbers. 1 on each side. Thanks.

That's the "one million dollar-question". I started a thread related to this some time ago: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=56268&hilit=+caliper, I still can't say where the pin with the rubber bushing is supposed to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 pm 

I will check Tuesday after noon I have 2 rebuilt rear calipers and brackets in the box.I will look and see how they are on them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:04 pm 

Anyone have a chance to take a look yet?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:06 pm 

I pulled my reman calipers brackets off mine were to the top of bracket.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:10 pm 

When the bracket is on the car would that mean the ones with the rubber are in the holes towards the front of the car or towards the back?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm 

What do you mean by the top of the bracket?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the pins with the rubber bushings are mounted so that they are on the trailing end of the caliper. the solid pins are at the front, the rubber bushed pins are at the rear. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II