TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:32 pm 

Attachment:
DSC01821 (640x480).jpg [209.15 KIB]
Downloaded 250 times

I have a second hand front set of hotbits coilovers, and as they came out of the great rusty north the adjusters are siezed up and it sits WAAAAY too tall (basically stock height). Wondering if anyone has any more ideas than what I've already tried.

I wire wheeled all the crud off, then doused them in PB blaster and let them sit upside down for a week so the PB would seep down into the threads. Installed them, then bent up a standard coilover spanner wrench trying to loosen the lock nut. Burnt another wrench out of 1/4" plate with a 3' handle, then bent that as well. I tried using a punch and mallet also, and that just buggered the tang on the nut. I'm nervous to try to use heat on them as they are a gas strut. :?

My next step unless others have an idea is to cut the nuts off, slip an ebay sleeve over the hotbits body and run my eibach 350 lb springs I've had forever and never used... though I'm sure the valving on the hotbits struts aren't optimized for that stiff of a spring. That or just sell them and get some money back disclosing that they are basically stock height and non adjustible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:59 pm 

have u tryed hitting the rings with a hammer? just like u would a steel bolt frozen in alu. I dont think a little heat will hurt them. when i cut of the stock spring perch on my gr2s i didnt think about heat till after but they work fine still.

1990 swift GL Twincam swap
Hyundai trans swap- in progress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:31 am 

marvel mystery oil or if you can find it try using a product called kroil, very expensive but super penitrant

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"