TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:24 pm 

I have a full set, front & rear, of WhiteLine Bushings on the way.

I have not installed urethane bushing before. Any tips on making the install go smoother?

Extreme Make Over....SnowFish Addiction

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm 

OK, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other! :roll: I'll read through the sticky............. :oops:

1991 Metro Xfi Sport, Crower F12142 Cam, +2 degrees on adjustable sprocket, .020 Over, Balanced & Blue Printed, 3.79 final drive, WhiteLine Bushings Everywhere, 185/60R14's, TBI Bridge Delete, Edelbrock Air Cleaner, Stainless Header, 2 Inch Exhaust, Magnaflow GlassPack, Swift Twin Exit Muffler.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:38 pm 

Kindly link the sticky, please.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:10 pm 

5th down from the top.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1230

Lot's of struggling, and cutting, but no real smooth, successful solutions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 pm 

I've had luck with using a torch to catch on fire / degrade the rubber to a point that the center metal tube falls out, then use a sawzall to cut the remaining section of rubber out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:02 pm 

I'm not concerned about removing the old stuff. I'm good at destroying things. It's Installing the New Urethane Bushings that I could use a hand with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 pm 

Before I bought a press I would use bolts and large washers to pull them through with a little dish soap for lube.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:03 am 
Suzuki Elder

what a hoot! :lol:

that link is soooo old. whatheee, for the sake of history, was a founding member who wrote up one of the first low cost (junkyard) boosted twincam projects back in the ezboard days.

in his first post in the linked thread he refers to the whiteline endlink bushings as being blue. i recently found a bag of those, new and saved in my box of rubber "stuff." :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm 

All i did is take the the bushings; and the new and control arms to a muffler shop . and they put some oil with a hydraulic press . pushed the suckers in ! no problemo.

Last edited by RP91gt on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the worst of the bushings to deal with are the ones that fit into the "ears" on the rear knuckles. they have to be pressed out - and very skillfully or you could snap the castings they are set into.

the front (cylindrical) bushings for the front control arms can be a bear to remove. once they are pressed out i slice the whiteline bushings in half and push them in from either end, then insert the crush tubes.

the whiteline bushing sets all come with some blue/ green paste lube. use that to grease them up good and slimy. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II