TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 pm 

Hey all,

So I been searching here, there, and everywhere, the last few days. There is a ton of conflicting info, so forgive what looks like a repost. I'm burnt out from the endless search.

I have my mk2 lowered on h&r blues and KYB GR2's (Ice cream and apple pie compatibility, as another member once posted).

I have ordered a set of +38 15x6.5 wheels.

Without having to roll fenders or get insanely creative, am I allowed to run 195/50/15's without rub, or should I start sending bounty hunters out to find a 195/45/15 (lot rarer, especially in Canada, and Alberta specifically).

Has anyone run that 50 series combo with that offset, those springs and shocks, in a mk2 turbo coupe?

Has anyone run the 45's in that exact recipe?

Can 50's fit with a little bit of alignment wizardry?

I'll probably have half an adult's weight in gear in the car most of the time.

By the way, these on a red slot car turbo should look quite nice, I think ;) --At least when they get a little dirtier.

[URL='http://qikr.co/fkkn2']Image

Last edited by lilredwagon on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm 
Suzuki Elder

6.5" width rims on a 38mm offset lets the inner tire wall contact the contour of the rear inner fender where the strut is covered. there's also a bolt in there on the verts that interferes with a 6.5" wheel and tire set.

the only way to be sure of the fitment is to mount a set and take a close look.

6.5" wide 15" rim and tire sets will rub the front inner fender at steering lock one way and contact the rear of the front wheel house at steering lock the other way. even with 50 profile 15s i had contact with the gt side skirts where they wrap into the front wheel wells.

i use the same suspension setup, h&r sport springs and kyb gr2 struts for a 1.4" drop.

that's about the straightest answer i can give you. :wink:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm 

That's quite excellent. Thank you :)

So by the looks of things, 45's will be in order, and likely a little rub expected no matter what. I suppose that's the price for making things less than standard, in terms of fitment.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:20 am 

Don't know if this will help you but,
On my 90 gti I had 15x7 +38 with 195/45/15 tyre. No rubbing at all unless I had 4 people in the car and even then only when going round corners and hitting bumps.

I now have 16x7 +40 with 195/40/16. Haven't had anyone in the back yet but with 2 people up front there is no rubbing at all! Even when driven hard!!

Car is lowered, first wheels were with spax springs now on white line flatouts, both with Koni sport shocks.
Hope that of some use to you.

I would recommend 45's regardless.

Good luck :D