TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:31 pm 

I was having some issues with one of my calipers since I did all four corners that I would like to share...
So I was hearing a little bit of brake-dragging and rattling at the FR-side of the car when driving slow. During inspection I noticed there was some play at the caliper cuz of what seemed to be worn out guide-pins. However that wasn't the case apparently...
As you guys can notice in the pictures my calipers don't have matching pins and I couldn't find the exact same ones online. The different sites out there either offer you a set of pin numbers 2 or a set of what appear to be numbers 1 but without the black-bushings. I don't know if these are the original pins of this car, so it gets difficult to make a conclusion without a reference.
Attachment:
IMG-20130609-00105.jpg
IMG-20130609-00105.jpg [ 416.42 KIB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Anyway I switched the pins and installed the caliper again, matching the other side of the car. The caliper is not "loose" anymore and the dragging and rattling are now gone. This is where each pin should go:
Attachment:
IMG-20130609-00108.jpg
IMG-20130609-00108.jpg [ 376.25 KIB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Although my problem is solved now, I would like to know what pins you guys normally order that are a direct fit and won't allow any play at the caliper. Keep in mind that the play I'm describing is not caused by the diameter, but by the shape of the pin. I suppose others may be interested as well for future servicing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:40 pm 

my gt has the same pins. one of each per side, i guess its a factory thing, kind of strange that they would use different pins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:58 pm 
Suzuki Elder

oem is one solid pin and one that takes the rubber bushing. the old replacement bushing/ sleeve kits came with 6 pieces, 4 pin sleeves and the 2 pin bushings.

the brakes i rebuilt using 2 solid pins had a bolt back out on me. i haven't ever run into that problem with the oem parts (using one pin with the rubber bushing.)

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:01 pm 

As mentioned above, each caliper has one solid steel pin and one sleeved pin.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

Well it looks like I've the right ones than... did you guys ever had problems with using the mixed-type pins in the "right hole"? And do you have a link to the oem bushing-type pin? This is what Rockauto/E-bay sell:
Attachment:
getimage.jpg
getimage.jpg [ 20.07 KIB | Viewed 1260 times ]

Apparently without the bushing...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
oem is one solid pin and one that takes the rubber bushing. the old replacement bushing/ sleeve kits came with 6 pieces, 4 pin sleeves and the 2 pin bushings.

the brakes i rebuilt using 2 solid pins had a bolt back out on me. i haven't ever run into that problem with the oem parts (using one pin with the rubber bushing.)

I went haunting for parts today and had a chat with a guy that's selling all the Gti parts he's got left. He told me he had a serious accident (you can still see scars in his head) in his turbo GTi @ around 200km/h, cuz of a caliper-bolt that came loose... causing the caliper to get stuck in the wheel. So maybe he didn't know about the bushings in the pins.
I started to hear the rattle at the caliper again and it feels loose just like before. I guess ordering new pins is the next step, unless the housings are worn out. Do you or somebody else have a link to a set of oem-pins that comes with the bushings?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:30 am 

Never mind, rockauto sells this boot-kit. Apparently the smaller pieces are the caliper bushings...

Attachments:
getimage.jpg
getimage.jpg [ 6.52 KIB | Viewed 1161 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:44 pm 
Suzuki Elder

the smaller bushings fit onto the pins. the larger bushings fit between the pins and the calipers.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:06 am 

t3 ragtop wrote:
the smaller bushings fit onto the pins. the larger bushings fit between the pins and the calipers.

Thanks for confirming man :wink:. I'll be pushing the car more than usual so I'll need the brakes to be 100%.