TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:27 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:32 am 

Went to the local stock car races in Stockton CA.

I noticed that the Legends (1.3L air cooled Yamaha spec racers) cars run 13" tires on 7" wide rims. I asked one of the crew chiefs what they did with their take offs. He said: "Nothing, nobody wants them. We just stack them up". I went by his shop the next day and picked up 6 decent tires for free :D

I was hoping to get some decent race tires, but these are actually DOT legal street tires that Federal sells to consumers in Europe as ss595 models. If anybody is running wide-ish 13's and is looking for some tires it might be easier to find these than to find a source in the U.S. where you can buy anything similar. They are 205/60 R13, which is a little tall, but about the same as the stock 175/60 R14s and much wider.

The tires are made by Federal (not great) and they are "Ultra High Performance" tires--not as good a "Extreme High Performance", but better than "Ultra Hard All Season Crap" that describes almost every other 13" tire available.

The real problem with finding a good set of free take offs is that they are "camber cut" for circle track, meaning they are shaved diagonally. If you can find some used for a road course that's no problem, but if they are only circle track you might have to mount them backwards on one side to get them to match up correctly--not sure about safety issues doing that. If you don't want to deal with that they are also be found new for around $100 each. Search INEX Legends tires.

Maybe not as earth shattering news as it sounds, but I thought I would share this tidbit for those struggling to find a 13" performance tire.

As soon as I have mine mounted up I'll post photos.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:54 am 

I ran these type of tires on my t-fly many years ago.awesome traction,white lettering,mine were made by BFG.
got them from the track as well(legends racing) same issue as well,they were shaved camber tires
I could drive the car because I knew what to expect from the tires
but the wife hated them,and it was her car,so off they went.
installed 16's after that.wore those out.back down to 185/60/14 for now

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:14 am 

I've had them in the garage forever waiting to wear out the little Falkens I had completely. I put them on the car today:

They were hard to balance for some reason, but I actually like the way they ride--they make 95/50 15s seem low profile. I also like the way they fill out my ridiculously flared fenders.

I hear the BFGs were better and they weren't directional either :(

I am pretty sad that I am moving away from the bottomless sources for these tires--the camber shaving means they only have tread where I need them to have tread 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 am 

the ones I had were camber shaved, made the car handle weird....but looked cool with the white letters, and the profile was nice...I guess I could have had them shaved flat at the retread shop next door....or do burnouts till they were flat 8)

3 tech turbo grind cam
3 tech cylinder head/w/port,polish,blend,oversized s/s valves
gti brake swap
89 white gti twincam....need I say more?
92 metro aka ''blue lump of coal''
92 white metro lsi vert
91 blue chevy sprint (gas sipper)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:39 am 
Suzuki Elder

i would think that the biggest issue would be finding 13 rims that will clear the gt brake calipers.

i have only ever had one set of 13" rims that would clear and even at that i had to grind a little flash from a casting parting line on the calipers.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:49 am 

Honda CRX calipers FTW 8)

These are camber shaved, and unlike the BFG's, they are very directional so I had to mount them backwards on one side. Even so, I haven't noticed anything weird--they are actually very nice riding due to the tall sidewall.

Then again, I've already got roughly 3 degrees of negative camber, substantial toe out, and I'm running #375 springs over Koni race inserts so maybe I don't know what weird is?

I like weird =)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:31 am 

I got a set of hoosier slicks from legends guys for when I was trying out my gt turbo swap car at the drag strip. These were a nice width, but totally tread free tires as far as street use, no way! They were nearly free, and at 5psi they hooked quite well considering I never did a burnout to warm them up or anything. They stopped the car from breaking the tires loose through second which as fun as it is, can't be good for quarter mile times. Haha. I think these would also work well for autocross if I were to guess. Legends guys indeed basically throw them away and not many other platforms can use such a small tire like we can.

1967 Mustang 428 auto, never ending expensive project
1993 Civic si h22a, fell in my lap, couldn't resist!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:38 am 

I really miss the sumitomo tiers. They had the 205/ 50/ 13. No one makes them. They would be taller than my 175/50/ 13. that i own.Image So Far the Suzuki enthusiast have found a 13 Rim that clears the Gti caliper sense the mid 90's around the world. And i proven it. The old school minilight :cheers: