TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:22 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:34 am 

My issue is 2 fold....

The idiot that bought my 90 Geo Metor from, put on 16" wheels so now I am stuck with a 205/40/16, which is a mythical tire with some shops. I just had to replace the front 2 because my fender is LITERALLY filleting the side was, like a fish! :banghead

Since I had to get new tires, we rolled the fenders with a bat. Needless to say, they now look like crap and I got no better in results. I'm really giving it thought to cutting the damn fenders and getting some fender flares to cover it up, but I think the REAL issue, on top of the damn wheels being 16", is that my suspension is shot!

You can sit a baby on my hood and the front end will squat the suspension so I am assuming that is having a lot to do with it too, plus my 280lbs fat ass in the driver seat, lol...

When I'm not in the car, there is a good 2.5 to 3in gap, but when I plop my fatbody into the seat, it's a low rider. I want a nice stiff suspension that will maintain a good wheel gap. I don't care if it's as stiff as a Vette, lol...

Now I've been talking with some of the guys at GeoMetroForum.com and they have been a help, but a few have suggested that I also try here for extended help.

In our conversations, I have been directed to the KYB strut as one of the best for our cars for the price, but I also am looking for a stiffer spring rate. I am good with the natural gap that is between the tire and fender, but I need to stiffen up the springs so it doesn't squat into negative space, lol... What stiff spring would you suggest? I was also told to look into a Frame connector and while I'm at it, I might as well get a strut tower brace and front sway bar too, since the car has A LOT of body roll... not just my body rolls, lol...

Struts = KYB
Heavy Duty Springs = ???
Sway Bar = ???
Strut Tower Bar = ???
Frame Brace = Turbine Tech ALU BODY BRACE MKII

Thanks guys and Happy New Years!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 am 

If you can live with a little drop, H&R springs work very well. If you want to maintain the stock height but go stiffer, try a set of 95+ springs cut down for the height you want.

Spring thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26246

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm 

Thank s for your post!

So this is what I got...

Struts = KYB (Per GeoMetroForum)

Heavy Duty Springs = 95+ (Per TeamSwift)

Sway Bar = 95+ (Per TeamSwift)

Strut Tower Bar = M.A.C.'s_Fabrication (Per Old Man)

Frame Brace = Turbine Tech ALU BODY BRACE MKII

Does that sound about right? I just can't afford to buy new 15" wheels and tires right now so I hope this will help to stiffen up the suspension and alleviate the rubbing from the front tires.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 pm 

Sounds good to me. Don't bother with an upper brace. They're so close to the firewall, you don't need it. The bottom one is important.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:09 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
Sounds good to me. Don't bother with an upper brace. They're so close to the firewall, you don't need it. The bottom one is important.

Thanks!

Let me ask another Q... If I don't cut the 95 springs, will the wheel/fender gap be bad, while running the 205/40/16?

Oh and another, unrelated, lol... I saw your head and cam service for $3xx. Will that do anything for MPG? I am not concerned with HP, that's what I have my 600hp Trans Am for, lol ;) I'm interested in MPG with the Metro.

Thanks again Bro!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:24 pm 

It will sit so high it will look like a 4x4. I had a pic of my Metro with those springs and 16's but I can't find it. Don't do it.

There's a thread on the head pkg's in the manufacturers section. Check it out, or email us and we'll send some info your way..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:27 pm 

suprf1y wrote:
It will sit so high it will look like a 4x4. I had a pic of my Metro with those springs and 16's but I can't find it. Don't do it.

There's a thread on the head pkg's in the manufacturers section. Check it out, or email us and we'll send some info your way..

Yeah, I don't want that! How many rungs did you have to cut to get a proper gap for your 16s? I never cut springs before so I have no idea how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:37 pm 

I didn't.
I put those on my rallycross car to stiffen it up, and lift it. I was running 12's. Look at the thread I linked to. You'll find the answers in there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:46 pm 

I was told that a 95+ Sway bar was too wide and would have to be bent to be used on my 90 Metro, is this true and if so, which sway bar should I use?

Thanks!

EDIT: Well apparently it fits, but hits the exhaust bad. A 1" spacer was used so to have it clear the exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm 

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 95+ (aka Mk4) sway bar will work if you simply connect the end links to the other side of the bar--or maybe you don't even have to do that. Aftermarket suppliers use the same part no. for mk2/3 and mk4.

Ditch the 16's and stop worrying about "gap". The car came with 12's--with 16's it is practically a "donk". If you have to have giant wheels that will ruin your acceleration and braking, don't go bigger than 15. 195/50 R15 with about +40 offset shouldn't rub at all, but 14's or even 13's are better still. I run 13's on my GT and like them better than the 14's it came with, but I admit it's probably even harder to find good 13" tires than ultra-low profile r16s.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 pm 

Quote:
with 16's it is practically a "donk"

That's the word I was looking for when I posted, but couldn't remember it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm 

I don't think it looks bad as all with 16s and I HATE that DONK look!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm 

Teeth wrote:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 95+ (aka Mk4) sway bar will work if you simply connect the end links to the other side of the bar--or maybe you don't even have to do that. Aftermarket suppliers use the same part no. for mk2/3 and mk4.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

Who makes an aftermarket sway bar, at a good price?

Thanks guys and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:16 pm 

Uh, dude, there's a whole sticky topic on sway bars:

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42075

Read it.

Right up there in the first post both Whiteline and Addco are mentioned as aftermarket manufacturers. The 22.2 mm Addco bar is the easiest to find and I have it on my car--it might be a good choice if you do other things to the car that push the balance heavily towards understeer (this can happen if you cut springs, also a sticky topic) but if you're going to use aftermarket springs you'll likely want a bar on the front too, or just stick with the 95+ bar as you might end up with a bit of a drift-car with just the large Addco in the back.

If you are serious enough about suspension to do it right, I'll suggest again that you simply swap out wheels for something smaller. I race my car and I went so far as to swap brake calipers for the privilege of running 13" wheels over the stock 14's on my GT and the improvement was huge. The tire size you are running isn't unreasonable, but if the offset's wrong you might just be SOL with keeping them in the wheel wells. FYI, you can get sub-12lb 13" wheels new for $75 shipped.

If I were you I'd pick through the whole Suspension/Braking/Tire Advice section to get an idea of what other members have done. I am aware that a lot of pictures have been lost and sometimes there are some weird formatting issues in the critical threads, but if you look at the most recent posts in addition to the oldest ones, you should find tons of useful information.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:52 am 

Ditch the wheels, get 15's ,at the most, with 195/50/15 , go to junkyard get Mk4 sway bars with all the hardware and bolt them on , don't waste your money on aftermarket sway bars. When you are done with that , order KYB struts on RockAuto or Ebay , H&R springs and you are done. It will handle and look great. Enjoy............... :D