TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 95+ Suspension on 92?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:21 pm 

I know that the control arms on the later models are slightly longer, but would you be able to swap over all of the suspension pieces from a later model onto a 92? I've read through the forums pretty extensively but didn't see anything about it :/

I've got a line on a pretty much new front end for a 95+ model that would save a ton over getting new parts for the 92. Unfortunately, its too far away for me to make the trip if it isn't a sure thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:22 pm 

I put a control arm off my 95 on my 91. Had to fix the toe but other then that is seams to be working just fine. But a wheel alignment might say otherwise. If you do try. Do one at a time and adjust you toe each time so your alignment stays on.

95 geo metro. 1.3L auto parts car. (Scrap)
91 chevy sprint turbo, blueboy keeping it "stock"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:55 pm 

Just out of curiosity, are you talking front or rear control arms?

I've pulled a bunch of junkyard springs to cut for my GT, but figured the control arms were too different (they certainly look different in the front). I've slotted my control arms where the hub-carrier bolts on in the back for extra negative camber, but there' s not much material there to get more. If the 95+ arms bolt up, it would probably solve that problem.

Spanish Inquisition Racing chip burning service--build yourself a custom chip!
http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=57216

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:31 pm 

I am referring to the front. Have not pulled the rear springs or arms yet to check.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:29 am 

I just checked and rock auto shows 94 and prior as one part number and 95 and later is a different one

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:45 pm 

Probably would work for a track car, not on the street. The axles are about 3/4" longer on the later cars, so check that the axles have enough travel. Easy way to get a couple degrees negative camber.

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:21 pm 

Suspension has always been my weak point. Much more of an engine guy, so my apologies if this is a dumb question...

What if I just take all of the suspension parts and the axles... wouldn't that just push everything out 3/8 on both sides without borking up the suspension geometries?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 pm 

The front 95+ control arm is about 1/4 longer the the Mk2. But it worked for me. I'm a cheap ass and didn't want to buy a new one when my parts car (the 95) had good ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:53 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i ordered new front control arms for my white 92 gt and did not notice that the seller sent
mk4/5 arms. i bolted everything up and noticed 2 things as the car went back onto the ground.

first, the tires were toed out at an angle that was about 20 degrees of arc on each side. second, the axles were way too short and the left axle was perilously close to becoming dislodged.

the bad thing on the gt was that you can't swap axles to the longer non-gt mk4/5 units as the hub end splines differ in length. you might get away with using the longer late model control arms if you also use the late model axles on a non-gt variant.

i won't guarantee that your tires will fit in the wheel houses, though. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:35 pm 

When I first put my current mk3 on the road i was running mk4/5 LCAs and mk4/5 struts springs and hubs with the cyl axles. the only issue i had has with the toe being out and the inside diameter on the front bushing on the mk2/3 arms is smaller then the mk4/5 arms I fixed this by using the mount from the mk4/5 car and some spacers on the bolts that go into the frame horns with a turbine tech brace to keep it all together.

the axles seem to have enough play to work fine. I used to run mk3 gt axles in my gt swapped mk5 without issue.