TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:48 am 

Many times our cars are destroyed because we need to replace the control arms and when you remove the bolts from the mounting points on the body, you strip the threads of the captive nuts in the frame horns because the bolts holding the control arms to the cars stick through the nuts way more than they need to and become rusted thus galling the threads as you remove them and you can't properly re-tighten them. Some of us scrap those cars but others just sell the problem "down the line", not nice a**hole!

Drill out the hole and re-tap it to the next larger size (only take out as much metal as you need to re-tap for a larger bolt). This method has been approved by licensed inspectors where I am and should be fine in your area. As long as the rest of the structure is in good shape, you are good to go. Most inspectors won't even know you've done anything and it should add a number of years to the serviceable life of your car. Don't use a coarser thread. Only use the same type of thread (be it coarse/fine). If you can, use replacement bolts that just barely clear the welded nut in the frame horn and maintain the bolt by coating it every year with an anti rust compound where it does stick through the nut (hard to get at but worth the effort).

I hope at least one person will find this helpful when they confront this eventual reality with their car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:40 am 

great post

I've done this before

I also recommend using stainless bolts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:33 am 

i just put some graphite/copper grease on bolts and nuts and there is no problem.. my 1991 mk2 gti is still on all stock bolts except front anti-roll bar (2 of them was eaten out by rust already when i bought car..) and i drive it in winter conditions too..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:42 am 

Had this happen to me before. I drilled all way thru floor an then a small hole saw then put new nut and longer bolt in mine. Guy I bought car from had tried retreading it and really messed it up. Not enough room to go 2 sizes over so did it my way tacked nut in place now just like factory with longer bolt.