TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:56 pm 

I have a 93 hatch and a 97 sedan parts car, i want the bigger 12mm studs and brakes plus I think the 97 has a wider stance which is more ideal.

From what i've read I get mixed reports that they swap with no issues but some people run into problems.

What do I need to swap things correctly?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:46 am 

I used the complete strut from the ball joint up to the top, transferred early springs and had no problems. You will have to replace the inner wheel bearing seals with the early style. I used GT rear discs on mine but the sedan brakes are 200mm. The coupes have 170mm brakes. Just get a set of 95+ coupe drums and you should be good.

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:43 pm 

me and my metro wrote:
I used the complete strut from the ball joint up to the top, transferred early springs and had no problems. You will have to replace the inner wheel bearing seals with the early style. I used GT rear discs on mine but the sedan brakes are 200mm. The coupes have 170mm brakes. Just get a set of 95+ coupe drums and you should be good.

Thanks for the info. Question, what year and type was the car you transfered from? also why replace the seals what year seal is needed? When you replaced did the tires widen out some? I think i read someplace that the sedan set up is half an inch wider?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:26 pm 

I used 98 front struts, and no it does not widen the stance. The lower control arms are longer on the 95+ cars don't use them. Do use the sway bars at both ends, you will have to make mounts for the rear one. You will need to put a kick in your head pipe that matches the 97 to clear the front bar.

I sold this car to a friend at work. I now have a Saturn L which is an Opel Vectra B.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 pm 

me and my metro wrote:
I used 98 front struts, and no it does not widen the stance. The lower control arms are longer on the 95+ cars don't use them. Do use the sway bars at both ends, you will have to make mounts for the rear one. You will need to put a kick in your head pipe that matches the 97 to clear the front bar.

Gotcha. I already have the sways in place. Why not use the lower control arm on the 97?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:07 pm 

They are longer, so if you want minus camber for road racing maybe. Plus your axles will be too short, and the 97 axles would be too long. Is the 97 a stick? I really enjoyed my 1.3/5 in my Metro, more horsepower the better. If I had kept my car, maybe the next one, it was going to get Esteem power. Probably a 1.8 and the large frame cable shift 5 speed. I appear to be drifting into dreamland again, sorry. I may at some time buy back my car from the friend I sold it to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:03 pm 

me and my metro wrote:
They are longer, so if you want minus camber for road racing maybe. Plus your axles will be too short, and the 97 axles would be too long. Is the 97 a stick? I really enjoyed my 1.3/5 in my Metro, more horsepower the better. If I had kept my car, maybe the next one, it was going to get Esteem power. Probably a 1.8 and the large frame cable shift 5 speed. I appear to be drifting into dreamland again, sorry. I may at some time buy back my car from the friend I sold it to.

Just using as a daily driver, but I'm trying to get it to handle the best possible with out losing extream amounts of ride quality. The 97 is an auto. lol I know about that dreamland, stuff just gets so damn expensive these days, its not easy to do swaps unless you're a junkyard pro and can build everything yourself. I need to rebuild my 1.0 but the kits i hear are not universal and i would need to get a lot of other random parts from various places to make it work right..

Just to confirm something, i did the brake swap my car would basically just stop better? nothing else gained?