TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: cruise on T3?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:55 am 

Did they ever come w/ cruise control? - If so, does anyone have all the components to install factory cruise into my mk2? - I read that the cruise gets it's speed signal from the speedometer head, will my 91 'vert have the required hardware?

Cheers
Adam

97 Dodge Neon
2.4L turbo 13.165@107.41 8psi

Post subject: Re: cruise on T3?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:31 pm 

Well, first off, you are going to need an automatic transmission. ...That should be where project 'Cruise control' ends.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:27 pm 
a.k.a Bum head

Kinslayer\";p=\"78461 wrote:
Well, first off, you are going to need an automatic transmission. ...That should be where project 'Cruise control' ends.

Perhaps, but one of my buddy's had a 5-speed Toyota with cruise, it came stock. It disengaged with the brakes as well as the clutch. Worked well, from what I can remember.

As for a T3 with cruise... not that I know of. It'd be nice, but I don't think it happened as a stock option. I remember that you could get an aftermarket setup back in the 80s, but I think that option might be long gone because of the safety issues with less-knowlegable people installing them.

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42901&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:02 am 

Kinslayer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

That's complete bullshit.... dude...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:09 am 

Yes that is complete BS, my 240 has cruise and its a 5spd, so does my dads Taurus SHO, its 5spd with cruise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:11 pm 

You wanna know why? because i have seen in it on a swift convertible (don;t know how the model is called in US) with manual gearbox

So.... it will work on a swift GTi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:31 pm 

Huh. Alrighty then. I had never heard of cruise on a manual tranny before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:09 am 

Quote:

You should listen more carefully then.

In all seriousness, I picked up an 89 Sprint Turbo on the weekend and it has cruise, but does not look OEM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:57 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

It would have to be electronic cruise. Vacuum assist goes out the window with turbo ;). But I'm sure they're available as a universal kit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:01 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

Kinslayer wrote:

oh yes..... Please be a little more nice when rattling off answers you have no idea about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:14 am 

...I was nice.

First off: Automatics are for the elderly. Second off, Cruise Control is for the lazy, and the people who have nothing better to put in their cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:15 am 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Kinslayer wrote:
...I was nice.

First off: Automatics are for the elderly. Second off, Cruise Control is for the lazy, and the people who have nothing better to put in their cars.

Kinslayer wrote:

Kinslayer wrote:

ah the levels of stupidity and ignorance, not a hint of being nice.
plenty of manual equipped cars came factory with cruise, even my old sporty 626 had cruise and a 5 speed AND i used it whenever i was stuck travelling on the interstate between vancouver and seattle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:20 pm 
Mama Said Knock You Out!
Mama Said Knock You Out!

Kinslayer wrote:
...I was nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:04 pm 

I had cruise on my 88 T3 Mk1 5spd . It is electronic . The problem with it is that it does not work vary good on anything faster then 60 mph , which is a problem since that or higher is a speed you want to use on the freeway . The speed when set at 75 would oscillate wildly . It would not apply enough trottle to keep steady speed , and when speed drops off too much it would do WOT to catch up . Vary annoying . Never used it and sold the car with it . It could be that something was wrong with it but I think it was just lousy design for double nickel speed limits of the era .Definitely not worth the effort to find and install ( it was vary easy to install) Since it was an option there is only one plug that connects it to power supply , everything else is bolt on .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:30 pm 

My sprint came with a aftermarket cruise set up. Its all wired into the dash and works great! the controll looks like a 80 gm truck stalk and its taped to the turn signal stalk. Works smooth even at 130 kph. You will than god you have cruise if you take a 6hr road trip like I did.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:12 am 

I put a universal cruise control on my MANUAL 3 cyl convertible. I got the kit from Kragen Auto for around $95. It is literally a pain in the neck to install because I had to spend some time upside down under the dash finding the proper speed signal wire. And my arms don't bend the proper way to get the pull cable and bead chain to adapt to the gas pedal cable. And it was rainy and cold.. Buhwaaaahhhh!

There was a stability adjustment in the controller that worked well. But going up a hill I could feel the gas pedal backing off due to loss of vacuum. So I installed a vacuum reservoir made out of a spray paint can and a vacuum check valve from an emissions vacuum hose. It works very well. I put the cruise control switch by my left knee where the push out plastic plugs are. It has the standard set, resume, and speed increase/decrease buttons, easy to use.

Somebody was making fun of automatics, A/C, and cruise control. This person did not have to spend 7 1/2 hours each way from San Francisco area to Los Angeles and back.....and do it 23 times in 6 months. Highway 5 gets blistering hot and at a legal 70mph the air alone can fry your brain. Traffic does 80+ mph all the time. I had to stop in K-Mart in Bakersfield and buy a 2 gallon garden sprayer and and fog it in my face to make it home once. I put in the A/C system myself, then put a liner of thin foam (used under Pergo floors) on the underside of the convertible top to keep the radiant heat from seeping through.

This combo of A/C and cruise control made my life a lot easier for 2/3 of the trips. The car will easily make it the 375 miles on a tank of gas so there was no need to stop. With the cruise on, I could move around and not get numb. The brake light also disconnects the cruise when necessary. There is a massive mountain called the Grapevine which has to be crossed mostly in 4th gear. I could drop from 5th to 4th with cruise on and it soldiers on up the mountain. Kinda cool, cruise works in all gears. I also have pics of doing 90 mph with the cruise and A/C on and the little bugger had more left in her. I run Mobile1 synthetic with the longer PH3900 filter. The car has 130K miles on now and does not show signs of oil consumption or engine wear!

I put this system on 5 years ago and it still works. If anyone wants pictures or help, please let me know. ...Kim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 pm 

There are mechanical actuators out there just like the one that came in the Sprints. Honda made one and it was a four-wire hook-up. So you don;t have to worry about vacuum. Pic on request.

Suzukird front coilovers on
14" Pirelli's, vented discs.
Car Chemistry exhaust

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:31 pm 

There are mechanical actuators out there just like the one that came in the Sprints. Honda made one and it was a four-wire hook-up. So you don;t have to worry about vacuum. Pic on request.

Suzukird front coilovers on
14" Pirelli's, vented discs.
Car Chemistry exhaust

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:19 am 
abby normal

Here is a pic of a factory cruise control on a MK1 T3 :)
The electric actuator is marked, and the wiring / troubleshooting is coverd in the
MK1 turbo supliment

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 pm 

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Cruise-Controls/600000566.jcw

stay away from the audiovox i have one in my mitsubishi pickup and any thing above 60 or 65 mph it starts to flake out..

i had a ADS kit in my toyota pickup and it worked like oem, cant seam to find it online thow.. i had purchsed it from autozone some 10 years ago

sam