TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GS lower end. GT head
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:13 pm 
will the GT head bolt [[STRAIGHT UP]] to the lower end of the sohc model without any mods??<br><br>i know i need the harness and ecu but i just want to know if it is a straight up fit.<br>i havent seen many GT's here in Florida so i cant really compare the two. let me know what else i am missing from the GT for the swap. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:26 pm 
Make love, not moderators

The answer is YES and NO. The blocks are identical so the head will bolt on perfectly the problem is that the pistons in the SOHC don't have the relief cuts made for the 16 valves. They only have the cuts for the 8 valves so you will have a problem with valve interferance unfortunatly. You can swap pistons too if you like but that means tearing down the entire engine. It'd be easier and cheaper just to get a used engine.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:59 pm 
thanx man. if i have to pull out the engine to switch pistons i might as well just change the whole engine. its less work too. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:17 pm 
Make love, not moderators

Yeah for sure.. The question is though can you find a GT motor in your area? Changing the pistons really isn't that bad since you'd be pulling the engine out anyway. You can buy oversized ones (need the rings too) from Suzuki and get your block bored out which doesn;t cost that much (Cost me $150 cdn) and a complete gasket set would be needed aswell.. Look at it this way you'd end up with a fresh engine and you can reuse your crank and rod bearings provided they are in good shape which they usually are. I have yet to see any bad ones unless the owner drove the car with no oil.. But if you can locate a motor any year will do since they are all the same except for pre '89.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>