TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: fuel management
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:15 pm 
is there a way to increas fuel flow in the gl without having to mess around with the computer? like a pump or something? <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Fuel
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm 

Is your GL a carby car? The GL's are carb'd here... <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: fuel management
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:58 am 

The most widely known trick is to replace the coolant temp sensor with a resistor or potentiometer leading the ECU to inject more fuel. With a potentiometer you can cheat the ECU to read cold (richens out the mixture) or hot(nominal mixture).<br>Have fun,<br>Sebastian. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:54 am 
Ozmid..my gl is a TBI. <br>Caaarlo, if i replace the tempsensor how is my fan gunna kick in at the right temperature? wont it over heat?<br>or does the fan itself have a sensor for the motor to kick in?<br><br><br>let me know <br>megabanton1@aol.com <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Coolant temp sensor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:02 am 

There is a temp sensor that connects to the ECU and there is a temp switch that turns on the fan. They work separately.<br>So, the one I'm talking about is the sensor, not the switch. The switch is only closed or open. The sensor is a thermistor... With some basic knowledge in electricity/electronics, you can plug a potentiometer in series or paralell (you can figure this out with an ohmeter at cold start and hotn when the coolant temp is nominal). I think you should connect the potentiometer in series with the sensor... but I'm not sure.<br><br><br>@-----[S]-----@ Stock sensor<br><br>@---(P)---[S]---@ Modified sensor with potentiometer.<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub83.ezboard.com/ucaaarlo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Caaarlo</A> at: 9/26/02 10:16:45 am<br></i>

Post subject: Fuel
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:52 pm 

In series. <br> <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:51 am 
ok. will the manual tell me what circuit is the sensor? not the owners manual but the repair manual <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Sensor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:30 pm 

Yes, it should. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:58 am 
so if i use a rotory type potentiometer does that mean that i can manually control my fuel flow? After all a potentiometer is a adjustable type resistor. And doesnt the potentiometer require a 12volt power source?<br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:40 pm 

Don't want to offend, but for the kind of question you are asking, I would suggest you to give the task to a technician or mechanic.<br>Now, to answer your question, this mod does not need any kind of power supply, just the potentiometer. What value of resistance ? well... that's something you will have to figure out with an ohmeter because I don't know the resistance values of the sensor. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub83.ezboard.com/ucaaarlo.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Caaarlo</A> at: 9/29/02 2:45:24 pm<br></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:05 pm 

What about gti??<br>Maybe if I disconnect vacuum hose from fuel pressure regulator, it should raise pressure 2,5 bar below atmospheric, not below intake pressure (lower). Will it work??? <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:02 pm 
no offense taken caaarlo but i am a mechanic (diesel).<br>i just have a little trouble with the electrical side but i can handle it. I see what you are saying though, i dont wanna add too much resistance because i could cause some damage. Thanx i will try it next week and tell you how it works. <br><br>pray for me please!!! <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: |_|_|_|_|
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:10 pm 

Damaging the electronics with a passive component is something quite unlikely. I forgot to tell you about the power of the pot. I'd go for a 2.5 Watt to be sure. Those have a coil with nichrome wire and can be a bit more expensive than most common carbon type, but can withstand more current.<br>Good luck,<br>Sebastian. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:33 pm 
before i do this i wanna know, instead of using the potentiometer that requires a power source couldnt i just use a normal resistor if i know the resistance?<br><br>or does the pot work better? <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:45 pm 

The potentiometer DOES NOT require any power source... just use it as an adjustable resistor in series with the temp sensor. <p></p><i></i>