TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:26 pm 
banned

ok, its me again<br>time for another one of my famous free mods<br>i have done this to several gtis and they all like it!<br><br>for those of you with cone filters, the goal is to get as much cool air to the filter without re-routing it or vents or whatever<br><br>ok, i got a thin sheet of metal, you can use anything feasable here, i bored a hole in one end, put ot on the stock air box mounting screw and connected it to the headlight screw, the goal was to get the filter as clost to the bonnet as possible and keeping it there, you can even use a cord or some wire to 'hoist' it up, <br>i have shortened my factory intake hose by cutting off the flexible rubber part that connects to the tb, but if you have it long you can still do this too...<br>ok, after getting the filter to sit comfortably this part is optional, to shield the bottom half of the filter from the engine heat i put some sticky sealant silver stuff on one side of the filter, i had an old filter to experiment with, you can put something on yours that you can remove easily, duct tape wrapped around and cut is also an option, or even a piece of thin cardboard held on with a couple tie straps will work<br><br>now i have half of my filter shielded i put it on, turning it slightly so the 'shield' is a little up on the engine side as the air over by the fender is cooler...<br><br>then, i turn the rubber mount thet the bonnet rests on up as much as feasable, if you dont mind your left side of your bonnet being up a bit more from your fender, i dont so i did it, it should be a little above the fender bit not so much as to have people stop you and tell you your bonet is open...<br><br>now, this setup will bring MUCH more cool air to the filter as its supposed to be 'flush' on the bonnet with cool air being passed abundantly over the headlight<br><br>foolishness you say? ok, test it, turn back down the rubber and let the bonnet sit down where its 'supposed' to..<br><br>i did this and noticed MEASURABLE gains, im not promising 50hp BUT, at high speeds ESPECIALLY the filter will LOOOVE that fresh cool air being blown it's way!<br><br>i have done this to my friends car and he loved it after!<br><br>i know people might...well WILL ridicule me on this one but if ONE fellow GTi person tries this and gets the desired results i will be a happier man...<br><br>jomo <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:56 pm 
banned

still waiting for insults......... <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:55 pm 
why?<br>we told you to do it months ago, but at the time, all YOU did was insult people.<br>That's why people don't respond to your post any longer.<br><br>Incidentally, the filter isn't fed from the gap you've created. It's fed from the air coming into the front of the car. Air passing over the gap creates a low pressure area, sucking air out, especially since the underbonnet is a high pressure area. It's called theBernouli effect.<br>So you'd be better to space any plate away from the filter. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:43 pm 
banned

i dont get you, the filter is now flush on the bonnet with air coming over the top of the headlight! it must get the breeze, right?<br>oh well. works fom me anyway... <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:40 pm 
banned

at least i tried! <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:04 pm 
Here's a question for ya. If you say getting air from above the headlight is better/cooler why do rally cars mount intercoolers <br>low. You would be better off making a scoop/airdam that takes air from under the front spoiler. Or get louvers put on the hood above the intake. I don't know if making alot of jerryriged mods is the best way to go? <br><br>PS: No insult of any kind intended or implied. <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:01 am 
banned

i know <br>BUT remember this is free! its not anything 'jerryriged' its just 'tuning' as i like to call it<br><br>for those like me who cant afford a cold air intake or vent or such kind this works!<br><br>and trust me you would be suprised to know how much cool air can pass over the headlight with the bonnet up as much as possible... <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Phantom Grip Options
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:01 pm 
Ah, right, I see what you've done now. I'd assumed you'd lifted the side or the rear of the bonnet. Not the front. Very silly to lift the front. It will give you slightly colder air, but, and it's a very big BUT, it will force a lot of Extra air into the engine bay, which is ENTIRELY THE WRONG THING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!<br><br>Are you listening all you people who want to put pissy little scoops on your bonnet "to aid cooling"?<br><br>The extra air has to exit, and it does so, under the car, increasing frontal lift. No1 in the list of VERY BAD THINGS. The car will feel faster 'cos the front goes lighter, earlier. Not good for steering or braking control.<br>The secret is not to get air in, BUT TO GET AIR OUT. <br>Lifting the rear of the bonnet, removing some of the reinforcement at the rear to create a gap, or putting holes in the top scuttle panel above the firewall, will all direct air out of the underbonnet, reducing the pressure, reducing front lift and reducing underbonnet temp. If you want to put in louvres, have them rear facing to let the Bernouli effect suck air out.<br><br>If you want to see an extreme version, go here:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.paterson5.freeserve.co.uk/Gti.html">www.paterson5.freeserve.co.uk/Gti.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Jomo, you are in a hot climate, make a bloody airbox for goodness sake! A damn biscuit tin with a couple of hoses directing air from the front of the car is all you need. You'll find it more effective than what you're doing now, especially if you want to retain some steering control.<br><br>Oh, and the reason 'coolers for Turbo cars are mounted lower down, is because the lower front of the bumper is a high pressure area. Increases throughput and therefore heat transfer <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:12 pm 
banned

good points, i see you<br><br>i have removed the rubber and spaced the hinges a bit to let some air out but i guess its not enough, the car does feel faster but now you mention it it goes all over the place!<br>i guess too much air is going in after all!!<br><br>i was thinking about the air box thing ill give it a try this weekend...<br><br>this means that all those guys with vent and louvers are...wasting there time?<br><br>well, at least i was right about the speed and difference in power!<br><br>let me ask you a question then, would it be wise to put a vent to blow air over the intake manifold, like the vents on a WRX?<br><br>thanks madzukie you teached me something new today! <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Air
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:59 pm 
No, it would have the same effect as lifting the front of the bonnet, unless it's rear facing.<br>You don't need to blow anything over the manifold, you have no way of cooling the air sufficiently to make any difference.<br>An airbox is a must, no matter how much you try to isolate a freestanding filter, it's always going to end up drawing in some engine heated air. Hot air is less dense so gives less power. It doesn't have to be complicated, as i say, biscuit or sandwich tins and some tubing, work just as well as purpose made carbon boxes. It won't necessarily give much more power, but it usually gives a couple of hp.<br>Make sure the tubes point upwards towards the box, and put a little dip somewhere with a small hole drilled at the bottom of the dip, just to let any water that gets in drain away. Water doesn't compress, makes a good job of bending rods though. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Air
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:35 pm 
banned

thanks!<br>you helped me alot man, i was going to put some stupid vents on like the other ricers down here<br><br>i was fooling around with the idea of letting the air out of the fenders, with vents on the out side of them(that would look cool, and different) and some holes on the inside<br>they would be towards the back, you know what i mean?<br><br>i closed back my bonnet and the car feels more steady ,at high speeds especially<br>think you might have saved my life there son!<br><br>and where is the best place to put a small vent? at the rear of the bonnet?<br><br>what about some not so big holes like i see on the racing swifts down here, just over the intake manifold?<br><br>sorry for all the questios...<br><br>oh yeah, i thought our engines were waterproof!<br><br>my friend drowned his engine in some deeep water the other day, AFM, filter, throttle body, even plugs were soaked and all i did was get some carb cleaner and spray in the tb and it started fine!!!! <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Cold air
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:59 pm 
I've taken out the big black sheet that stops air/debris from hitting the exhaust/engine, and installed expanded sheet ( the pretty chrome diamond-holed stuff that Honda owners stick out front to replace their grilles) at all entrances to engine bay ( black honeycomb grille, space in front bumper at bottom (chin?) and cut out the four big panels in the center of the hood(open your hood and look at the base of the windshield - the four above that). My engine is extemely happy to sit and idle forever in stopped traffic, and cooling at speed is great - the temp gauge does not go up and down constantly, but is more consistent at a lower temp. Got all the foam for the fancy vent - gonna start tonight.<br><br>Am going to try jomo2002's trick on way home - mod is done. Am considering making up kit to mount tb closer, all bolt - on. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Cold air
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:02 pm 

Remove the back side of the hood rubber gasket to allow heated air via the windshield. However, in cold climate you get a fogging effect on the windshield (lower portion).<br><br>I have shortened the intake to a hot temp coated 4-inch tube. Then routed dual carbon-fiber tubes (one going towards the air intake, in the front lower portion of the bumper. This works work when riding above 30-40MPH. The air is collect and passed to the air intake beside the fender air hole. <br><br>RIding on a hot day a normal engine bay is very hot and so is the air intake tube, TB, and hoses. BUt when I sue this method, I touch the tube and it was still cold while the engine normally hot to touch. <br><br>I have a 280Z hood vents, along with the smaller Honda Civic verion ready to install as soon as I can fix the tranny. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Cold air
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:25 pm 
banned

cool, but why does every gti owner have tranny problems but me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Tranny?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:23 am 

Came about by using the Mobile 1 synthetic oil. Never again.... <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Mobil 1
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:46 pm 

How did using mobil 1 cause your tranny to break? I use mobil 1 5w-30, and have never had problems with the oil. what oil do you reccomend using? <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: need photos
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:08 pm 
please need photos of yours air intakes.<br><br>i don´t understand english well... soo i need pictures to orientate.<br><br><br>thanks lisandro <p></p><i></i>