TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:54 am 
A legend in his own mind

Odd query I have...

I was wondering if I got really bored, and wanted to clean out my Catalytic Converter ...for example, wash away any deposits, dirt, debris, buildup, etc... is there something that would do it? Would some kind of cleaning aerosol, spary, cleaner, degreaser...whatever, work if I had my CatCon out already and was interested in "rejuvenating" it?

Obviously, the CatCon would be in my hands, off the car.

I've never really thought of this before...and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

I'm all ears.

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:51 am 

I've thought about flushing one out with a pressure washer, but haven't tried it yet. Obviously you'd want to flush it "backwards." Maybe even try soaking it in degreaser or Seafoam first?

1991 Swift - Parts car (gone)
1990 Swift - Parts car
1997 Metro - Parts car (gone)
1993 Metro - Parts car
1989 Swift GTi - Parts car
1998 Metro - Parts car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:46 am 

Try "cilit bang", it cleans allmost anything i've heart :lol:

okey, now really, perhaps a bit off coke will get the deposts off...
The core of the kat is very weak, breaks easely so highpressure waterjets isn't a great idea. first try pressurized air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:18 am 
Teamswift Racer

just take a broomstick and smash all of the crap thats insided the cat.... it will break up and fall out. Then your cat will flow better than the day it came off the assembly line.

:D

2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - SuperMoto
2009 Cannondale Rize
I rarely visit TeamSwift anymore, so please email me if you have a question. On average I'm only checking my PM's here once a month. "roy (at) forcefed4 (dot) com"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:21 am 

I would try the soaking it in something strong. Do you have any Challenger cleaner handy? That stuff eats away all kinds of crap. Maybe best to go find a freebie cat and experiment on it first so you don't hurt your expensive cat by mistake. Of course Roy's method cures all future cleaning requirements :lol:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm 

heat it up with a torch and blow clean air through it :D

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:40 pm 

TGstring wrote:
Odd query I have...

I was wondering if I got really bored, and wanted to clean out my Catalytic Converter ...for example, wash away any deposits, dirt, debris, buildup, etc... is there something that would do it? Would some kind of cleaning aerosol, spary, cleaner, degreaser...whatever, work if I had my CatCon out already and was interested in "rejuvenating" it?

Obviously, the CatCon would be in my hands, off the car.

I've never really thought of this before...and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

I'm all ears.

TGstring

I've actually been quite impressed with how clean cat converters stay after many many miles.

I failed smog on my 1991 SE-R last year, removed the cat because I thought it may have melted (My SE-R's been feeling a bit gutless, 160K miles on the original cat.). The honeycomb was nice, clean and grey. No deposits on the engine side, the output wasn't dirty either.

I'd actually be afraid of cleaning it - you might pollute what little precious metal coating is in there resulting in a DEAD but clean converter!

Dave

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:38 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

brand new high flow units from ebay
i've got the 2.5" unit, but a 2" that's more then big enough for a non-turbo gti of any sort is only $28 and shipping was relatively cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33629
it's not really worth the effort of cleaning for that price.. they've also got new o2 sensors for $15
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=46097
talk about a steal, plugs right in, they even list it for the geo metro & suzuki swifts ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:12 am 

Tommy all I got to say man is you fit in perfectly with the majority of swift owners out there :D

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:14 pm 

FiveZigen wrote:
Tommy all I got to say man is you fit in perfectly with the majority of swift owners out there :D

Ryan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So damn true... :lol:

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:32 pm 
A legend in his own mind

I know what you guys mean in one way,
but from another perspective, you guys are WWAAAAAAYYYYYY off as to why I'm asking this question with the Cat.

Either way, I don't really care. :-P

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:17 pm 

Ah...so why are you asking? Answer=Karma points :rollin:

Mike 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:19 am 

Roy Dean wrote:
just take a broomstick and smash all of the crap thats insided the cat.... it will break up and fall out. Then your cat will flow better than the day it came off the assembly line.

:D

LISTEN to this man thats the way to go :D

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:44 pm 

Sadly, in Australia, this can net you a $10,000 on the spot fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:49 pm 
The mad quebecer
The mad quebecer

Also, I don't think a emptied cat will flow much better than a good, functionnal unit. Think about the turbulence for a second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:09 pm 

Yep Jess is right. Buy a Catco cat for the high flow and clean exhaust.

Mike

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:26 pm 

Or why not run a bigger cat off another higher capacity, higher hp car? Mine ran one off a 5.0 for a few years until it collapsed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:19 pm 

I cleaned mine with a hammer and a large screwdirver. Now they will never get clogged.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 pm 

Metropwr wrote:
I cleaned mine with a hammer and a large screwdirver. Now they will never get clogged.

How are you getting around California emissions/inspections?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:17 pm 

WE0H wrote:
Metropwr wrote:

How are you getting around California emissions/inspections?
Mike

Yeah, I'd like to know too. Do they dyno your car and sniff for oxides of nitrogen in your county?

Dave

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:10 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

Metropwr wrote:

<rant>since it's a chore to subtract karma points for stupid posts, lets just say, i hope you get busted/fined :P no cat, even on a 3cyl = 10x more emissions then any of the big new v8 suv's, it's like bragging about littering </rant>
the gains are so negligable and the replacement costs so small, why not just throw a larger high-flow unit on ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:20 pm 

Catco cats are very low priced and flow Wahoo 8)

I paid 20 bucks for mine.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:45 am 

It's funny you say that because OBDII is supposed to sense when your smog equipment is up to 150% out of regulations and trips the check engine light. My check engine light never comes on even with the new cam.

I find it odd that you say it pollutes so much even when my second O2 sensors doesn't trip the check engine light. My car is also equipped with the DIS and fires on the exaust stroke to further lessen emissions.

In california on OBDII cars it is illegal to put on aftermarket cats. They have to be factory replacement from the factory. I am going to put an aftermarket cat on anyways when I get the header and new muffler.

You need to chill out Nitro at least I am not dirving around my 7.7L Cadillac anymore. And please don't tel me that my car with out cats pollute more than that beast. I am already doing my part by driving a pretty fuel efficient and relitively clean burning car when I can be driving around a smog exempt car that pumps out the crap like it was the thing to do.

By the way don't you work in a racing shop? Do those cars there run cats? If they don't, doesn't that mean that you are promoting air pollution also?

How much pollution does it take to make the fuel to feed those big V-8's? I wonder.

Oh, by the way my first cat is my exhaust manifold. I bet most of you guys don't have one of those.

If you fart in California with out your clothes on it is illegal. I am doing the best with what I got short of moving to another state.

n1tr0 wrote:
Metropwr wrote:

<rant>since it's a chore to subtract karma points for stupid posts, lets just say, i hope you get busted/fined :P no cat, even on a 3cyl = 10x more emissions then any of the big new v8 suv's, it's like bragging about littering </rant>
the gains are so negligable and the replacement costs so small, why not just throw a larger high-flow unit on ...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:23 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

The presence of a catalytic converter makes an enomous reduction in your vehicle's emissions output. How much? How about 99%?:
Quote:
Catalytic converters provide a huge emission reduction on most automobiles. Many Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) depend on catalysts to clean up 99% of exhaust emissions. That’s a much bigger contribution to clean air than any other single component. A good catalytic converter can reduce NOx emissions from 2000 PPM to 20 PPM. That’s a huge reduction!

There's no way a 1 L without a cat could ever produce fewer emissions than even a V-10 with intact emissions hardware.
This isn't the first time this has been mentioned:

n1tr0 wrote:
alright, since you can't take a hint, i'm going to rant...
ya, it can be nice not being OVER-regulated, but to turn your car into a gross polluter on purpose, for an absolutely minimal power gain. a 1.3L w/o a cat is still going to put out 10x the pollution of a hummer2 :P
seriously, victoria is an awesome place, but that shitty attitude isn't cool on this forum and it's really not cool in the real world where we all breathe the air.
Quote:
Catalytic Converters have been shown to reduce emissions of carbon monoxide by 80 percent under test conditions.
Catalytic Converters have been shown to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxide by 95 percent.
The Institute for European Environmental Policy has published a report showing that car drivers breathe in up to three times more toxic exhaust fumes than pedestrians or cyclists. Cars do not protect drivers from pollution, as motorists are driving in a "tunnel of pollution." Car drivers in the centre or outside lanes are subject to a huge buildup of toxic gases.

etc...
so really the jerk in front of you w/o his cat is submitting you to 5-20x more toxins then you'd have to deal w/ ..
so next time you're talking to someone and they tell you how they removed their cat, punch them in the head, it's like the jerks who sit there blowing their cigarette smoke in your face. i'd challenge you to show me how you're going to get any substantial gain from your engine w/o a cat vs. my $60cdn highflow cat.

Lihtan wrote:
My opinion on removing cats to gain power is to look elsewhere for power gains. To me it's just not worth it to unneccesarily pollute the air for minor power gains. In fact I even want to smack people upside the head that use PCV breath filters.:evil: Installation of a good quality highflow cat doesn't have to be a performance compromise. A high quality brand like Milltek can not only improve power, but also lead to cleaner emissions than stock equipment, because it was engineered to clean emissions from dirtier European fuels. I plan on installing their cats on all my vehicles.
Milltek wrote:
...The finished honeycomb is then coated with Aluminum Oxide, some rare earth metals and Platinum and Rhodium. The Platinum and Rhodium are applied at a rate of 25 grams per cubic foot, which compares with between 5 and 10 grams per cubic foot for typical US aftermarket items.

It is normal practice in Europe to use much higher quantities of precious metals on catalysts, because European gasoline has more impurities in it which gradually poison catalysts. If catalysts with such high levels of precious metals are used with US fuels, the post-catalyst emissions are extremely low and the durability of the catalysts is very good indeed.

When you own an automobile you take personal responsiblity for it's upkeep, maintenance and any damage you may cause during its use. That's why you get car insurance. It lets you make restitution to injured parties. As such you also have to take responsibilty for environmental damage your vehicle causes, whether its smashing a mailbox or polluting the atmosphere. Do you also dump your old engine fluids on your lawn or down the nearest storm sewer? I fucking hope not.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:37 am 

I have heard of several turbo 3's passing the emission tests without cats (hollowed out). Some motors run alot cleaner than others. I still have cats on my cars, but don't kid your self. Cats don't make power, they are pretty restrictive.