TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:43 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:43 pm 

i thought it would be a good question...

Who owns the best performing N/A 1.0?

G-G-G-Geo

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:01 pm 
A legend in his own mind

well...good question.

Here's my suggestion...

Go to the track, get a timeslip.

You now hold the world's fastest 1.0L N/A crown.

be prepared to give up the crown once someone can prove they're quicker.

It's that simple.

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:27 am 

I would have to say, right now according to this forum, it would have to be Suprf1y with his rally Metro.

I would like to think I am somewhere near the top with all the mods done to my car. But it still is not fast enough for me.

"M3 like the BMW?"
"No, like the Gillette razor."

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:00 am 
King of Pompous

TGstring wrote:
Go to the track, get a timeslip.

Timeslips don't mean shit in the real world.

Just because I love you Tommy ;).

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:53 pm 

I really think its presumptous to say that you have the fastest anything based only on a timeslip.
You would think that anybody with a real fast, well built Swift would be here, and we would know about their car, but there are so many that aren't its really surprising. I have sold cams, and more to about 2 dozen fairly built, and at least a few more really highly modified GT's just in North America. There is alot of stuff out there that we don't know about.
I wouldn't suggest that I have the fastest 3, but maybe next year :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:05 pm 

ITB's on a 3? Damn Mike. That thing will sound so awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:09 pm 
A legend in his own mind

suprf1y wrote:
I really think its presumptous to say that you have the fastest anything based only on a timeslip.
You would think that anybody with a real fast, well built Swift would be here, and we would know about their car, but there are so many that aren't its really surprising. I have sold cams, and more to about 2 dozen fairly built, and at least a few more really highly modified GT's just in North America. There is alot of stuff out there that we don't know about.
I wouldn't suggest that I have the fastest 3, but maybe next year :D

I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or a kick in the balls.
It can be construed either way.

Here's the problem, and those who are able to best understand what's at hand will also be best able to appreciate the "timeslip" merit.

There has to be a somewhat "acceptable" standard. Either you choose to follow it, or you don't.

There has to be an element of availability. 1/4 mile is 400m is 400m is a 1/4 mile anyway you cut it. Under established protocols, a timeslip is acceptable, for the most part, internationally.

Compared to any alternative, this is significantly LESS inadequate for establishing a standard of "fastest" vehicle.

Just becuase some guy spent few hundred bucks for some cams on his apparently 'race' setup swift does not mean that his setup is good enough to meet the standard I have pushed for the past few years. That's not to say his car is not capable of making plenty of power, just that it is not a measure of a vehicle's "worth" which is ultimately established where it belongs- on the ground.

Until someone can come up with a better alternative that can prove both fair and reliable, then I will continue to work with those who have accpted the "timeslip" standard to further putting swifts "on the map".

And, until someone can prove me wrong, I'm still North America's fastest all motor '89 SSGTi. Period. Anyone who has a problem with any apparent audacity should take the step and prove otherwise. Of course, that person would then be succeptible to others who would find their title inherently flawed..and instead of moving forward, the swift crowd would get stuck in a warp of bodykits, 17" rims and led washer nozzles.

You pick.

Tommy

LNLC Founding Member

Post subject: best?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:34 am 

Depends on what you consider "BEST". 1/4 mile times are quick, but to me, a poor measure of performance. It is a VERY GOOD measure of horsepower, but that is a very small part of what I call performance.

To some people, the 1/4 mile is only a very short part of a complete run. How fast can it go at the salt flats? 100 mph in the 1/4 may be fine, but if the car tops out at 120mph, is it a better performer compared to a car that does 80mph in the 1/4, but gets up to 140mph in a mile?

For me, straight line challenges are so limited. Can the car handle? Can the car stop well? Put it on a road race track and see how fast it covers a winding 2.5 mile track with a couple of straight aways. That is complete performace. The race to the first turn is awesome. A strictly 1/4 mile car may get the first, but he will be the last one to that corner on the next lap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 am 

I'm too afraid to take my Metro to the drag strip. I don't want to get laughed off the track.

"M3 like the BMW?"
"No, like the Gillette razor."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:26 am 

I will agree the time slip is the way to hold the crown on the strip.If you chose to run the salt flats build a car for the salt flats. You may be the fastest swift there. I say no to street racing lost too much playing with that crap. There's a guy that ran a ministock sprint at one of the local tracks took track champion that year. TGstring has the fastest swift I've ever seen, got my vote. But it still boils down to where you want to play!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:07 am 

Quote:
There's a guy that ran a ministock sprint at one of the local tracks took track champion that year

That was Rob Allerellie. I kicked his ass many times :D
Tommy, I don't see any way you could construe that as a compliment. It was not intended as a kick in the balls, though, either. All that I was trying to say was that there are so many fast Swifts out there that you (we) don't even know about, I just think its a little premature to suggest that you are king without knowing all the players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:18 pm 

checkmate :wink:

Post subject: Re: best?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:35 pm 
King of Pompous

kneescraper wrote:
For me, straight line challenges are so limited. Can the car handle? Can the car stop well? Put it on a road race track and see how fast it covers a winding 2.5 mile track with a couple of straight aways. That is complete performace. The race to the first turn is awesome. A strictly 1/4 mile car may get the first, but he will be the last one to that corner on the next lap.

Amen

Karma for you....

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:21 pm 
A legend in his own mind

It always annoys me when that which should go without saying always needs to be said.

Part of obtaining a timeslip is going to get one.

part of going to get one involves having a car that could get you there.

Part of that is a car that is streetable, for the most part, "legal" or otherwise not overly offensive.

This should all go without saying.

ALSO, for those who state that putting a car on some sort of roadcourse/curvy road/track is the ultimate performance test--Well...that's all fine and dandy, but just think about that for one second. That's EXTREMELY exclusionary for many and it does not take the ENTIRE -read INTERNATIONAL- swift community into consideration.
If I were Bill Gates, I could build one 'standard' roadcourse in every country in the world only for swifts and have everyone test their car on it for inclusion into the "World's best overall swift" list.
Just think about that for a second guys. It's not only unreasonable and impractical, it's basically impossible.

Mike, I know very well that there is the potential for there to be many swifts out there that may be capable of quicker 1/4 mile times. However, we can't "conclude" without having made a beginning. We can't find out who they are and if they exist if they don't take the first step to participate in the "process".
This however should not be any grounds to think that those who have endeavoured to take the leap are not worthy of that which they've accomplished- due to the possibility of there being someone otherwise unknown potentially capable of surpassing the present accomplishment.

I would like to think that my attempts to establish some sort of "structure" for the swift community - insofar as setting up "benchmarks" should be lauded and not grounds for spite.

In a perverse way, there are those who seek to further those benchmarks I establish and resort to your (and others') skills and products to get there.
I don't have any problem with that at all. Overall as a community I think it takes us one step further. Contrary to the opinion some may hold of my -whether premature, presumptiousness or for those who require psychiatric evaluation- hubristic tendencies, I'm not out to "toot my own horn", but instead to further the community as a whole. And, I'm not making ONE CENT doing it. A little competition is good for the mind, body and soul and anyone who thinks otherwise is entitled to their opinion nonetheless.

It's easy to stand back and watch, but it's more fun to get in there and participate. It's a lot easier and cleaner to sit back and criticize than to get in there and get dirty.

I'm expecting one word replies from those who have no clue what was just explained and those who are waiting for their "type r" stickers in the mail....and you know what you guys...whatever.

Tommy

LNLC Founding Member

Post subject: mmm
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:45 am 
Bargain basement

You talk to much Tommy :lol:

I think 1/4 mile timeslip is a very good judge of how good a cars engine performs.. nothing to do with handling of course.. if you want how a car goes handles etc etc of course you have to do some circuit work..

but 1/4 mile gives of course your time.. but the main thing that tells how much power you have is the mph.. you can get a shit time but a mid 90mph speed and you know your car is good for low 14's or whatever the case may be..

that's my opinion... dyno tells how much power you have sure handy to know, and best way to tune..

1/4 mile tells how good you can put that power to the track...

circuit in my opinion tells how good you can drive and how well your entire car is set up..

Post subject: Did the question change?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:10 am 

The question was "Who owns the best performing N/A 1.0?". I guess the best way to answer that is to ask Midway a question first.

What do you consider to be performing? Is a peaky engine that can really only pull from 6000rpm to 8000rpm and make 75 ft.lbs of tourqe with 100hp performance? Or is it an engine that can pull from 3000rpm to 6500rpm with a torgue curve that is nice and level at 80ft.lbs but only 85hp?

Going straight, it is easy to keep a peaky engine in its peak. Driving that same car along a coastal, or mountain road, would be an exercise is frustration and dissappointment.

I, personally, drive my car more than a 1/4 mile at a time and there are also some corners thrown in on my way to work, the grocery store, and the movies, etc..

I would not measure a "N/A 1.0" by a timeslip, but by a dyno sheet!!!!! Let me see the torque curve and numbers. There is NO driver skill involved, just real numbers. I don't care if your N/A 1.0 makes 150hp. If it has a severly spiked torque curve, I wouldn't want it.

But....... this is MIDWAY's question. So MIDWAY, What do you consider to be performing?

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:13 am 
TGstring wrote:
It always annoys me when that which should go without saying always needs to be said.

Part of obtaining a timeslip is going to get one.

part of going to get one involves having a car that could get you there.

Part of that is a car that is streetable, for the most part, "legal" or otherwise not overly offensive.

This should all go without saying.

ALSO, for those who state that putting a car on some sort of roadcourse/curvy road/track is the ultimate performance test--Well...that's all fine and dandy, but just think about that for one second. That's EXTREMELY exclusionary for many and it does not take the ENTIRE -read INTERNATIONAL- swift community into consideration.
If I were Bill Gates, I could build one 'standard' roadcourse in every country in the world only for swifts and have everyone test their car on it for inclusion into the "World's best overall swift" list.
Just think about that for a second guys. It's not only unreasonable and impractical, it's basically impossible.

Mike, I know very well that there is the potential for there to be many swifts out there that may be capable of quicker 1/4 mile times. However, we can't "conclude" without having made a beginning. We can't find out who they are and if they exist if they don't take the first step to participate in the "process".
This however should not be any grounds to think that those who have endeavoured to take the leap are not worthy of that which they've accomplished- due to the possibility of there being someone otherwise unknown potentially capable of surpassing the present accomplishment.

I would like to think that my attempts to establish some sort of "structure" for the swift community - insofar as setting up "benchmarks" should be lauded and not grounds for spite.

In a perverse way, there are those who seek to further those benchmarks I establish and resort to your (and others') skills and products to get there.
I don't have any problem with that at all. Overall as a community I think it takes us one step further. Contrary to the opinion some may hold of my -whether premature, presumptiousness or for those who require psychiatric evaluation- hubristic tendencies, I'm not out to "toot my own horn", but instead to further the community as a whole. And, I'm not making ONE CENT doing it. A little competition is good for the mind, body and soul and anyone who thinks otherwise is entitled to their opinion nonetheless.

It's easy to stand back and watch, but it's more fun to get in there and participate. It's a lot easier and cleaner to sit back and criticize than to get in there and get dirty.

I'm expecting one word replies from those who have no clue what was just explained and those who are waiting for their "type r" stickers in the mail....and you know what you guys...whatever.

Tommy

I think i had the most heavly modified N/A swift at one point. Sold all that garbage and now i am building a turbo monster. I had every possible n/a mod done to my car with over 7k invested in the motor work. Sold the car cause it was too slow. But i am pretty sure i had the fastest n/a motor at one point. I never got around to getting a 1/4 mile time so can't say for sure. gtec'd under 15 seconds but that doesn't mean anything.

gypsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:00 pm 
Suzuki Elder

besides, i know in my heart that my hoopty is the performance king! :ez_lol: and once i get my new cold air intake wire tied on, it will gain 20 hp and will run 120mph (126 in the morning when the air is colder and still.) i might even get a performance chip for it, that way it'll be mad fast and the tightest of all hoopties. :-P

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:08 am 
Sad but True...

You also forgot Drag Radials on ALL 4 tires on 20" spinner rims :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:03 pm 
Suzuki Elder

http://peeweespinnaz.ytmnd.com/

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:33 pm 

next year i will take tommy's crown and give him something to work on ;) were getting lazy here :razz:

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:42 pm 

aRandy wrote:
next year i will take tommy's crown and give him something to work on ;) were getting lazy here :razz:

i have thought the same thing, but he has it pretty narrowed down and specific. :wink:

North America's (your out) fastest NA( turbo or nitrous motors are out) 89 ( i am out) ssgti ( metro, forsa, cultus,firefly,barina, or home built hybrid of any of the above, is out)

so to beat tommy you need to sell your 91 and buy a 89. then, simply move to north america ,and build your car up and get a slip.
:lol:

here is my sig. karma if you look

Dattman wrote:
If you want big wheels buy a tractor...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 pm 

i have an early 91 so it would be the same car as he got
Mine weighs 785kg on it's registration papers (factory weight)
And although i'm gonna run with a nitrous setup i'm also gonna do runs without nitrous to see what my N/A time would be ;)
Ok north amaerica is not gonna happen but a little competition is gonna do this community very good 8) and if i'm right there are more contentders next year :twisted:

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:52 pm 

Don't forget, you'll have to do it on old street tires too. Better look up the size, just to be sure. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:57 am 
A legend in his own mind

Haters :-P

Just to clarify; I will resort to technical loopholes tuffcarguy has brought to light once guys start giving me a run for my money :lol:

I will hand over the crown in north america to anyone who has an '89-'94 SSGTi who can pull off better times on stock tires- I'm not that particular :lol:

BTW, for anyone who cares to remember, they are Bridgestone Potenza RE92 175/60 14" :lol:

also, tuffcarguy...I like your sig. Who was it that said that again?

There should be quotations on that! ;)

TGstring

LNLC Founding Member