TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 am 

87t1 wrote:
autobahnen wrote:
Where does the check valve fit into here?

I can't find one in mine.

The oil check valve fits in a recess in the block deck surface, (marked with a yellow circle)
If yours has been lost, the suzuki/geo metro dealer can order you another one.

here are some pictures of the anti-drainback check valve. i found one today at u pullit where they had pulled the head and left the block and it was still in there and in great shape.

Attachments:
File comment: side view
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG [ 25.83 KIB | Viewed 1995 times ]
File comment: bottom showing no ball
IMG_5103.JPG
IMG_5103.JPG [ 23.86 KIB | Viewed 1993 times ]
File comment: bottom showing ball in check place (sorry its a little blurry)
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5104.JPG [ 27.06 KIB | Viewed 1997 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:34 pm 

update- I tried to place the check valve in the block in my car and no luck.... the hole is way smaller.
in fact both my blocks are the same. so i guess they are not designed to have it.
weird huh?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:04 pm 

I bought a 95 LSI---three banger. 160k miles. Burned exhaust valve number two hole. Pulled the head and put a new valve in it. Put the head back on. Smoked like a house on fire. Day three--pulled the head back off; new gaskett--enlarged the drainback hole and checked for the oil restrictor in the block. put the head back on.
Smoked like a house on fire. Day four--checked the compression.
140lbs all the way across. Pulled the valve cover& cam replaced the valve seals. Smoked like a house on fire. Still gettin oil in the combustion chambers from somewhere. The motor has virtually no blowby. I can pull the filler cap while it is running and the oil seems to be draining back properly. It's seven oclock and I'm all outta asprins :roll: .

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:24 pm 

Probably valve guides, even new seals can't seal worn guides once they get bad enough. Just swapped the head on my car for the same reason, the new(er) head still smokes but only every now and then (long idle time at certain inclines/ lights). I'm probably going to take the old head and have new guides put in it and swap it out later.

On the original topic I have seen 5 head gaskets for G-10s and only 1 had good drain back holes (it was a felpro), I ordered another felpro for just this reason and this one was like all the other flawed ones. On the up side I don't think those 2 holes matter at all because there are 4 other drain holes on the other side of the head and the engine tilts that way as well, so not much oil would ever get to the 2 holes we're all worried about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:46 pm 

Hello everyone I'm new here.

Just installed a new head gasket on my 87 Forsa Turbo last night. Torqued the head down and cleaned up. Found this post today and now I'm worried that I should check the gasket and open up the holes. I did notice some holes in the gasket didn't completely line up with holes on the head when installing but the oil check valve was clearly not covered by the gasket however I'm not sure about the oil drain holes though :? . Can I remove the head and use the gasket again, or should I buy a new one? I have not started the car yet so would the un-used but torqued gasket be ok?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 pm 
The Smuggler

I would never retorque a head gasket even if its never been run, go new is best bet.
so you do not have to tear down the engine again after running it.

Keep your eye on the boost guage!
And I love this one!
"Dale Jarrett's crew chief" "Drive it like ya STOLE IT!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:12 pm 

Thanks for the help!
Since its half apart anyway it wont be too bad to just undo and put in a new gasket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:40 am 

forsa, knuckles is right. new gasket is correct and the best step. but if in a real pinch like i was a few years ago i used a gasket ithat i had torqued but not run.

1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed 3-door hatchback "herbie"
1990 geo metro 1.0 5 speed convertible "sportie"