TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:56 pm 

I've been looking for a post like this for weeks! I've been researching as much I can about E85 including CNG, Diesel, Hydrogen, and Battery Electric Cars.

I've seen E85 rating for anywhere between 100-105 octane. During the summer it does get up to 83% Ethanol by volume but during the cooler months and during winter it's a minimum of 70% ethanol. When it comes down to all out power Methanol is the best fuel, with 118octane or so and 25% more "latent heat of evaporation" than even Ethanol. When the INDY switched over from Methanol there was a power loss and they made some changes to the engine rules to compensate. C16 is actually comparable to E85 summer blend on some builds. By that I mean people have run C16 and E85 with the power levels being very similar, some more some less. The range is the biggest complaint I hear from people, that and how corrosive it is, which is a Methanol problem. Then there are people disputing facts about it's efficiency, it's pollution, and growing practices.

Personally, I think while it's nice from a political point of view that ethanol is required in all gasoline. But it's disappointing that it's a forced when we could offer mixtures or pure gasoline next to E98(the max legal blend to avoid consumption tax) and choose to support it voluntary. Ethanol isn't "green" except that it can be grown and is cleaner in every way including GHG than Gasoline. It's "greener" than Gasoline but it's certainly not cheaper, I call it "Yellow." It's heavily industrialized and does pollute(besides GHG :alien:) like gasoline. It's more efficient from a state-of-the-art analysis And the DIY aspect is definitely interesting.

I'm trying to imagineer an Ethanol powered G10 with high compression and Turbo. I've been looking for anything that might raise the SCR to 12.5-13.5:1 level. Since it's possible to have 8:1 or 9:1 SCR with 20lbs of boost on pump gas, I believe it's possible to get a 12.5-13.5 SCR with 7-10lbs of boost. I'm doing this for the benefits of running Ethanol vs Gasoline. Since kw-kw Ethanol is more efficient if you boost the Static Compression.

I've seen production cars gain 7%-9% from a half point more SCR. And I know a point is only good for a few percent more efficient. But I'm crazy enough to try this. I'm just trying to see if it's possible before I have the money for all this.

My Plan is simple:
Step 1: Get Focus Shell and G10 Donor
Step 2: Install drivetrain, powerplant, and other stuff(use your imagination here)
Step 3: Build out motor, 12.5:1 low duration cam, huge injectors, tune.
Step 4: Umm... drive?
Step 5: Turbo if it's too slow.
yeah, I don't have a clue what to do... I'll probably blow it up a few times. Who cares right?

I'm just not sure if 20:1 DCR is too high for a G10. I'm planning on getting forged pistons from Suzukird and forged rods. I don't want to use a bigger engine, that's pretty much the point of this project. If I put a bigger engine even a G13, it'd be more HP and there'd be no excuse to go Turbo. Because I like to drive.