TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:11 pm 

I can suppy you with any custom driveline parts for the MK2/3 GTi. Even dog engagement gear sets. There's a guy in Portugal rallying with one of these boxes. But I discourage these for street use. It's easy to miss a gear when having the HH pattern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:07 pm 

djaggs wrote:
My gearbox has just started making noise and I think I have to replace or fix.

If all you have is noise with no shift problems, it's probably just the bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:32 pm 

man I have all kinds of problems.

Cant shift to 3rd at 6500 rpm or higher, the clutch travel keeps moving, sometimes it drops so low that it sticks and grates when shifting to 2nd, then sometimes its fine.

Now its started making a constant noise, I need to get another one so I can pull this one down and fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 pm 

That clutch travel issue is probably the cable binding - either lube it or, if it's frayed, replace it - the third gear problem sounds like a worn synchro, but that is quite unusual - it's usually second that goes. Constant noise is most likely the bearings.

There's a guy on eBay sells a rebuild kit with all the seals, bearings & synchros - the rebuild shouldn't take more than a couple of days if you have the stuff on hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 am 

Hey thanks for the info man, much appreciated.

:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:38 pm 

You're welcome - you can also give the guys at Simpson Motors over in Barbados a call - my experience is that they have stuff in stock, but can be quite pricey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:05 pm 

right, after much thought, ive decided to go the way of Carbs, twin 45 sidedraught carbs. easier to tune, cheaper to get.

I think i will make more power like that.

The cost to do EFI thing would be pretty high, I woulda love to do it but I have to scale back my cost (the wifey is pregnant, found out only recently :D ) anyway, i will still post progress with pics and Dyno charts.

Im pretty excited about this project, I love the sound of twin sidedraught carbs, fuel consumption is not much of an issue for me since the car isnt used for very long distances during the week.

Ive been searching the site but cant seem to find too many suppliers of intake manifolds for carbs, anyone knows of a good supplier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:20 pm 

Take a look at this post. I don't know if they're still available.

You may run into a problem with the location of the brake servo and those webers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:14 pm 

Im very happy to say, I got my carbs and intake manifold today.

I got a pair of Mikuni sidedraught carbs ( 44mm ) and an intake manifold for the GTI engine. The manifold is angled so that the brake master cylinder doesnt get in the way.

Will post some pics later. Im getting a pair of cams too but need to check the spec on it before I buy it, dont really want to go too hot on the cams although I can go much hotter with carbs than EFI. All the stuff Im getting came off a race car that had engine parts from the UK.

Post subject: hp
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:55 pm 

i would just like to add my two cents. im using suprfly's 210/340 grind cams in my swift. i was originally using these cams with a toms chip and put down just over 100 hp at the wheels. with proper dyno tuning the car is now making 115 hp at the wheels at around 9000 rpm. so thats around 130-5 crank hp. the car is very quick, i did the 1/4 mile in 14.84 @ 93.89 mph. this is with the stock fuel injection system in place. so your twin carb setup with the right tuning along with suprflys 210/340 grind will get you some pretty impressive results, i think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:35 pm 

Hey Alessandro,

Any mods done to your cam gears?

Thanks.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

Post subject: cam gears
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:40 am 

nope, no mods to the cam gears cams are installed straight up. tuner told me that there is most likely not much gain to be made and the possibility of cam gears slipping could destroy the motor.

Post subject: Re: cam gears
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:05 am 
A legend in his own mind

swifty92 wrote:
nope, no mods to the cam gears cams are installed straight up. tuner told me that there is most likely not much gain to be made and the possibility of cam gears slipping could destroy the motor.

holy shit, you're alive?

where have you been in the last little while?
what's keeping you so busy?

good to hear from ya...

:lol:

LNLC Founding Member

Certified to advise if this thread is GAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:24 am 

Caaarlo wrote:
I can suppy you with any custom driveline parts for the MK2/3 GTi. Even dog engagement gear sets. There's a guy in Portugal rallying with one of these boxes. But I discourage these for street use. It's easy to miss a gear when having the HH pattern.

Hey Caarlo,

Can you supply a 4.39 crownwheel and pinion for a 1993 GTI ???

I would be ineterested in knowing the cost. My gearbox is down right now and I need a new crownwheel and pinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:40 pm 

any updates?....... thanks