TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: crank scraper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:11 pm 

Anyone have a crank scraper installed in their swift? Was their any noticeable difference in power increase? just wondering because there was a group buy years ago and i've never heard any feedback since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:50 pm 

my engine builder has built my engine to the same specs as his previous motors.

Mine was showing few hp positive difference. He mentioned few things like length of the exhaust and crank scraper being "possible" responsible for the 3~5hp difference. (the rest was virtually the same spec down to the same headers, intake manifold, TB valves etc)

Is it worth it for the HP alone? There are other things you should worry about 1st.
Am I glad I have it? Yes it forms part of the structural girdle that supports the big ends. In other words its not hurting to have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:01 am 

i have one in my g13b as well. never did any dyno runs due to constant upgrading. but the overall feelng is good. i did reported lower oil temperatures after installing the crank scrapper (probably due to less oil splashing).

Post subject: Re: crank scraper
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:38 am 

swifty92 wrote:
Anyone have a crank scraper installed in their swift? Was their any noticeable difference in power increase? just wondering because there was a group buy years ago and i've never heard any feedback since.

Sorry for the long delay in responding to this. The scraper we make for the Swift gives back an average 3% in power. Four dyno pulls ranged from 2.5% to 3.5% and averaged to 3%. Yes, the dyno operater was surprised. That was the single scraper design. There is now a dual scraper design.

That was on a G10. While the car was still on the dyno stand I went underneath, drained and saved the oil, dropped the pan, removed the scraper, replaced the pan and put the original oil back in. Took about 30 minutes. Most dyno tests are not as accurate as that because people change many things, even without realizing it. The air pressure in your tires, the gas you are using, plug condition, how new the oil is, weather conditions and so on.

The power increase comes from power the engine is already making but loosing to internal friction/churning of the oil. This is why Lee's oil ran cooler. This is much better than running an oil cooler to achieve the same result. Why? Because the energy not heating the oil is thermodynamically shifted over to be available for greater acceleration (for example). Oil that is already hot and run through a cooler can never accomplish this -- that wasted energy is lost forever.

Does this make a difference? The 2006 SCCA National Champion in G Production was running one of our scrapers in his VW Rabbit engine. Second place was taken by a Swift that was not running one of our scrapers (as far as I know). The SCCA clearly consider the scrapers to be power adding devices and specifically restricts their use in certain classes (like Formula Ford Zetec engines for example).

The third place open class winner in the 2007 Pikes Peak hill climb was running one of our windage control systems in his 928 Porsche. That car has a top speed of 206 mph.

We came up with a number of oil control modifications for the Mazda Miata/MX-5. All those modifications were subsequently restricted by the SCCA in 2006 -- why? Because they actually worked. :lol: A top level Miata engine builder (Championship cars) told us our scrapers were worth 4hp in the NA 1.6. That is in an engine that already has a full windage tray just like the Swift. Oh, there were many Miata pseudo-experts that tried to pan the scrapers as some sort of "snake oil" when they first came out.

Porsche Cup racing does not allow our scrapers because they are an unfair advantage. Wow -- that was kind of a feel-good disappointment. :lol:

Top level big block Chrysler engine builders and racers have told us our scrapers all by themselves were worth .10 sec in the quarter mile.

You can see one of our Teflon scrapers being used on a 350/383 build up in the December 2007 issue of High Performance Pontiac.

Maybe if they made a big zooming noise they would be a sexier product. :razz:

A couple years back we achieved something that made us proud. Our little company (my wife, Samantha, and I) made more windage control devices for more engines from more different marques than any company in the world. Ever. There have been many more designs added since then.

Okay, enough preening. Back to work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:46 am 

Kevin, is there a new design crank scrapper for the DOHC engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:58 am 

leeye wrote:
Kevin, is there a new design crank scrapper for the DOHC engine?

Yes, I have been steadily adding dual and even triple designs where possible.

The new scraper mounts along the caps like the upstroke scraper but it is deep within the block. It shunts oil to the side of the pan. This general downstroke design was used in the OEM Dodge 2.0 Neon engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:26 pm 

i have a 95 bmw m3 and a 93 civic ex with the d16z6 engine. any chance you make scrapers for those cars. i assume you already make one for the sohc 1.3l metro. if you do make them can you PM some info and price to me?

The I'm new here sale!!! http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=257971#257971

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:27 pm 
Former TeamSwift Admin
Former TeamSwift Admin

you should check out their website, they make a ton of different scrapers now, including their teflon zero-clearance models

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:13 am 

Evans Performance wrote:
i have a 95 bmw m3 and a 93 civic ex with the d16z6 engine. any chance you make scrapers for those cars. i assume you already make one for the sohc 1.3l metro. if you do make them can you PM some info and price to me?

Yes, we have made both steel and Teflon scrapers for the S52B32 as well as extensive modifications to the factory windage tray system. If you have one of the dual pickup kits that would be interesting. Aside: Talked to a Chrysler engineer today who told me they had a similar system developed for the Viper but it was nixxed due to cost. A pity.

We also make scrapers and windage trays for the D16 engines. There are a lot of our BMW and Honda scrapers in use in racing at present.

The previous pic in the thread shows the current dual scraper for the G13 series (1.3L Metro). I have thrashed my current Metro G10 pretty soundly and it's about due for a rebuild -- we use it for a good bit of towing/hauling.

The Metro's last banzai run was down to Miami to pickup a Jag straight six (very heavy engine) and a much smaller Triumph four.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:25 am 

What's the site's address?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:29 am 

1987TurboSprint wrote:
What's the site's address?

I apologize -- I thought it was in my profile. I just put it in there. Crank-scrapers.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:05 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

here's a link to click on:

http://www.crank-scrapers.com

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:36 pm 

Update: Last year's SCCA G Production National Champion came in second this year running one of our scrapers.. The National Champ this year was also running one of our scrapers. As was the National Champ in F Production.

Andy Deatherage in the Suzuki Swift came in third in GP. I have tried to get ahold of him. Does anyone know his email address? I will give him a free dual Tef scraper for the Swift if he wants one.