TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:44 am 

I'm setting my Metro up for track use, and I'm wondering if going with carbs is going to hurt me too much. I'm using it for autox, and I'm not sure exactly what class I'll be running in. I would like to keep the stock block, G10. I want to run in the SM class because I could be more competitive, but I think the car is too light and has to go in SM2. I want to be able to tune the car, so I want carbs. But I know fuel injection is more powerful, but it's also expensive. I don't think I can afford to get an engine management system right now. I wouldn't mind setting up a log style manifold with a large throttle body and MPI, but I'm not sure I can get away with splicing the control wire on the one injector to run 3 very well. I'm pretty sure I can't actually. It would be just dumping fuel in constantly, but I guess that's what it does with the one anyway. I'm also going to get that 3tech head with as much cam and compression as superfly thinks the motor can handle. I know that'll make a difference in how I want to set up the fuel. What do you all think?

BTW, thanks for the great site. I love this place. I haven't done too much at all to my Metro, but I've been able to plan it all out and budget myself from the useful info on here. On cars I've worked on before, it was like a stabbing in the dark trying to find out what was good/bad. I've never had the confidence to go into a project like I am with this Metro before.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I may be using an external supercharger. I'll only do this if things work out. My dad said he has one from an old VW Beatle that will work, but it's in the garage someone. The garage is kind of messy, so I'm not sure if it's really there or if I can even find it. If I can't find it, I'll go NA and high compression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:49 pm 
abby normal

Quote:
I'm also going to get that 3tech head with as much cam and compression as superfly thinks the motor can handle.

Bolt the head to the engine and run the stock TBI injection, with a 2" exhaust.
A +10 cam gear will also help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 pm 

87t1 wrote:
Quote:
I'm also going to get that 3tech head with as much cam and compression as superfly thinks the motor can handle.

Bolt the head to the engine and run the stock TBI injection, with a 2" exhaust.
A +10 cam gear will also help. :)

You don't think it's worth it to go for individual carbs? I was planning on 2" strait pipe. As far as the cam gear, I'll go with the +10 if I can't get an adjustable one. This project is about toying around and playing with things as it is actually going fast. I love to fabricate and modify, and the Metro is my way of getting to do those things on the weekend when I don't have other things that need done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:42 pm 
abby normal

The +10 cam gear is a proven mod (after much testing by suprf1y) and is much cheaper than an adjustable gear.
By using the stock TBI system, you can run the car while you prepare another type of carb/injection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:53 am 

87t1 wrote:
The +10 cam gear is a proven mod (after much testing by suprf1y) and is much cheaper than an adjustable gear.
By using the stock TBI system, you can run the car while you prepare another type of carb/injection.

The car will be running on a the stock system while I build a second motor. I'm going to try to pick up a G10 from a junk yard and rebuild it putting the new stuff on it. Hopefully that will work out. I'll make a stand for it and set it up so that it can hopefully be ran outside of the car for testing. I think I'm just going to stick with the stock XFI transmission too. The car will probably only see as high as 3rd on the track anyway. If I find a nice G10 trans that's not from an XFI, I'll consider putting it in. Never hurts to have a spare.