TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:54 pm 

I'm soldering up a MegaSquirt to install in my 1990 normal aspirated 1.0L Pontiac Firefly. My plan is to borrow bits from both FireAndFuel's and Caaarlo's install. All of my questions could probably be directed at Caaarlo, but if I asked him in PM's then it wouldn't be accessible to anyone else considering something similar to what I'm doing.

FireAndFuel mounted the EDIS 36-1 wheel to his crank pulley, setup MS to think it's controlling a 6 cylinder engine, and then grounded one side of the coil tower - the definative wasted spark setup! I plan to do the same thing. Read more about it here: http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=103394

Caaarlo's webpage http://caaarlo.50megs.com documents how he managed to rework the MS hardware and firmware to use most of the Swifts stock sensors and ignition. Cool stuff, but I don't really understand most of it. :D It no doubt works great on 4 cylinder Swifts, but I'm a cylinder short so I need to use the EDIS solution and the released version of MS-II firmware. I'm unsure which sensors I can still use though or which board modification I'd need to make.

4.1 Bias Resistors - if I am running a MS-II with stock Suzuki IAT and CLT sensors, can I just recalibrate the thermistor tables using MegaTune or would I still need to change the bias resistors?

4.3 Drivers for Idle solenoid and Fuel Pump - Why would the fuel pump driver need changing? Are the two resistor changes mentioned for the V3 board both for the idle solenoid? Would making these board changes make the stock IAC functional without modifying the MS firmware?

IAT Sensor - Caaarlo, did you change that out for an open element (faster response time) sensor since you were turbocharging your engine? Hmm, sound like a worthwile $5 upgrade, turbo or not - what year of VW Golf GTi is that sensor from?

TIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:17 pm 

CanFire,

The V 3.0 board was developed to cure a whole lot of issues that Caarlo fixed with some very good rectification. Even to the point that the V3.0 board is good for low impedance injectors without worrying about the flyback circuitry.

Best you read up on the V 3.0, things may be simpler than you think.

I can't help on 3 cyl setups tho. Sorry...

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.HP is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how much you push the wall out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:55 am 

Well, I found an answer to my question about the bias resistors. Using MS-II, I do not need to change the bias resistors. I can take 3 resistance readings from the stock IAT and CLT at known temperature readings (ice cold, boiling hot, and somewhere in the middle like 40 degrees C) and then use those values to calibrate MS using Megatune. I guess electronics guys find it easier to just replace the bias resistors with ones that match their sensors? An open element AIT sensor like the one Caaarlo used probably wouldn't fair well being submerged in boiling water so maybe that's another reason why he changed the bias resistors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:00 pm 

Hi,
Regarding the bias resistors, it's not mandatory, not even for the MS1. THe same thing you mentioned for MS2, can be done for MS1. It's just a good practice to replace the bias resistors.
My custom code has been compiled using my tables, with 2.2K resistors. But anyone could compile the code with different tables, for 2.49K or 2.7K or any value you prefer.

Just remember that Megatune needs the correct .INC files (tables) in order to show accurate temperature readings. Otherwise, it will show temperatures thinking that you have GM sensors.

Fuel pump and idle solenoid drivers. The stock V3 drivers should be OK. It's just that with the 470 ohms base resistors, they will work cooler.

The IAT sensor, I don't remember what VW Golf is it for. It's for a GTI, but can't recall whether it was turbo or not. Any VW-Audi IAT sensor should work exactly the same, they are all 2.2K. Even the CLT sensors are a direct swap for our CLT, except for the square plug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:07 pm 

Ohhh... and I forgot to mention, that the 2.2K resistors DO NEED a new table. You're wrong thinking that nothing else needs to be modified when replacing bias resistors.

Along with my 2.2K bias resistors, I created new tables using easytherm. And the open element sensor does withstand boiling water and ice water. Just use distilled water when doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:24 pm 

Thanks Caaarlo! The v3 assembly instructions warn that "if you are using a PWM Idle valve, such as those used in some Ford products, the standard transistor is not sufficient to power the valve directly." It then goes on to outline a number of changes that need to be made. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/IAC.htm#fidle

Reading the Swift service manual left me with the impression that the Suzuki idle solenoid was in fact a PWM device. Are you suggesting following the megamanual as though I'm using a ford valve and then substitute the 470 ohm resistor or should I build the board as though I'm using a regular on/off fast idle solenoid but with your proposed 470 ohm upgrade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:59 pm 

I am using the stock Idle solenoid with PWM idle. The PWM frequency should be 20 Hz.

The stock driver is ok. Just use the 470ohm resistor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 pm 

The v3 megamanual makes it sound like the "stock idle valve" is on until conditions are met and then it's turned off, but you're saying there is also a software setting to cycle the solenoid? Geez, the megamanual focuses so much on the Ford PWM idle valve that they totally neglect to mention there is a software setting to PWM the stock idle valve too. No wonder I was getting confused!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:35 pm 

Please read the MS2-Extra forums, as there is a new Extra code with PWM idle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:00 pm 

Oh crap, I hope the PWM idle option isn't a feature that requires running the MS2-Extra firmware. Well, I'm off to do some more reading!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:06 pm 

What can I say? The MS2 base code is a very outdated crap. Even MS1-Extra is much better than MS2 base code.

For $18 you can buy a MS1 processor and run MS1-Extra.... or, you can update to MS2-Extra, but this one is still alpha.