TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:30 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: G10 Full Length header
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:07 am 

I have a header of a gs 1100 four cylinder that I have been planning to cut one of the tubes off to make a full length header for my metro. I was going to start fabbing up the flange today, but then I got to thinking, instead of taking a bunch of time to make a new 3 into one collector; I started wondering if I just cut off one of the pipes on the 4 into one and beat it down flat with the other three and welded up the hole if it would still scavange, or will the flow be all screwed up.? I can make a new collector, I just didn't want to waste the time if I don't have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:55 pm 
Bozo the crying clown

Give these guys a try.
I have their race header and it is VERY nicely made...
Bolts right up and still looks great after 4 months :-)

http://suzukird1.com/catalog/index.php

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:04 pm 
Teamswift Racer

Unfortunately Suzukird is pretty much about the only place that has an off the shelf header for the 3 banger, the quality and fit is rather hit and miss, do some searching and you will find that some guys can bolt it straight up while others have to spend an hour with a die grinder port matching the flange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:01 am 

Dattman wrote:
Unfortunately Suzukird is pretty much about the only place that has an off the shelf header for the 3 banger, the quality and fit is rather hit and miss, do some searching and you will find that some guys can bolt it straight up while others have to spend an hour with a die grinder port matching the flange.

That and their is no warranty on any of their stuff, so if it don't fit/work, your SOL in their books. You can return for a 30% hit if it is in perfect shape.

Makes me leary.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:43 am 
Bozo the crying clown

Well, it beats having to make your own.
Unless you're an engineer and a welder. ;-)

I would buy from them again...

BTW...I've NEVER seen ANY type of warranty on racing parts for ANY car.
Even from the dealership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:04 am 

jimmyjr wrote:

In most cases warranty covers defects due to manufacture and material, however because of the very nature of racing, where equipment may be stressed beyond design specification in the heat of the moment, it becomes difficult if not impossible to determine if a failure was caused by defective manufacture, material or stress - so warranties are not usually offered.

Fit is a different issue - take it out of the box - and offer it up to the head, it either fits or it doesn't, there's no stress involved - if it doesn't fit, it's a clear case of defect due to manufacture.

I'm not an engineer or a welder and if/when I buy a header I'd expect the flanges to be flat & inline, and the holes to line up, no grinding required - which does not match the pictures I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:04 pm 

fordem wrote:
jimmyjr wrote:

In most cases warranty covers defects due to manufacture and material, however because of the very nature of racing, where equipment may be stressed beyond design specification in the heat of the moment, it becomes difficult if not impossible to determine if a failure was caused by defective manufacture, material or stress - so warranties are not usually offered.

Fit is a different issue - take it out of the box - and offer it up to the head, it either fits or it doesn't, there's no stress involved - if it doesn't fit, it's a clear case of defect due to manufacture.

I'm not an engineer or a welder and if/when I buy a header I'd expect the flanges to be flat & inline, and the holes to line up, no grinding required - which does not match the pictures I've seen.

Exactly, and I've read a few different pieces where alot of things from SRD don't fit, you either chew a restock fee or you break out a grinder.

It takes nothing to guarantee fitment for what you are advertising. :D

The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:57 am 

Have asked this question B4, but got no response. Does anyone know if I can still use oversize oil fltr(PH8A) w/this header? There's about .5" clearance to closet part of stock exhaust system using this fltr now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:51 pm 

as soon as i get my morrison test guage up and running i'll be in production of calculated 3-banger headers as well as full (no cat) ehaust systems. they will be bench tested, and guarenteed to work & fit. i'll try to bang 'em out for a reasonable price once i get everything in line...

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:15 am 

You've got at least one customer waiting over here 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:02 pm 

Make that two!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:07 am 

jimmyjr wrote:
Give these guys a try.
I have their race header and it is VERY nicely made...
Bolts right up and still looks great after 4 months :-)

http://suzukird1.com/catalog/index.php

Jimmy

did you noticed better throtle results???

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:30 am 
Bozo the crying clown

The headers work great. Great throttle response and wil breateh a HELL of alot netter than stock. You'll be able to rev sky high and still have power.

Drawback/s???? The headers block the egr port and make the check engine light stay on. You won't be able to pass emissions. :-(

If you don't ming that, then they are a hit! :-)

If you're interested, I have one for sale. ;-)

Jimmy

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 pm 

jimmyjr wrote:
The headers work great. Great throttle response and wil breateh a HELL of alot netter than stock. You'll be able to rev sky high and still have power.

Drawback/s???? The headers block the egr port and make the check engine light stay on. You won't be able to pass emissions. :-(

If you don't ming that, then they are a hit! :-)

If you're interested, I have one for sale. ;-)

Jimmy

may i ask the price??
i´m in europe so i assume shipping will be expensive
send me a pm

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:19 pm 

jimmyjr wrote:
The headers work great. Great throttle response and wil breateh a HELL of alot netter than stock. You'll be able to rev sky high and still have power
Jimmy

That's an interesting comment - it's predictive rather than a statement of fact, as if you're telling us what to expect rather than what you experienced.

- will breathe ... netter rather than breathes netter (what ever netter means ;) ) and you'll rather than you can.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:58 pm 

fordem wrote:
jimmyjr wrote:
The headers work great. Great throttle response and wil breateh a HELL of alot netter than stock. You'll be able to rev sky high and still have power
Jimmy

That's an interesting comment - it's predictive rather than a statement of fact, as if you're telling us what to expect rather than what you experienced.

- will breathe ... netter rather than breathes netter (what ever netter means ;) ) and you'll rather than you can.

Hope it's not like mine...

Well atleast he didn't get the unfinished lottery...

Mine looks like a sizeable upgrade from the factory manifold.

But... I still have to grind it, peel off the crappy chrome coating, finish welding, grind, cut open the collector, clean up some bad welds, weld in a spear/spike, then send it off for $200 in ceramic coating, and then finally get to install it. :blackeye:

But I did get the bolt together flange included for free... soo.. I suppose it could be worse... :roll:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:42 pm 

_Scratch_ wrote:
as soon as i get my morrison test guage up and running i'll be in production of calculated 3-banger headers as well as full (no cat) ehaust systems. they will be bench tested, and guarenteed to work & fit. i'll try to bang 'em out for a reasonable price once i get everything in line...

Bump... any info, or did that not pan out for ya....

'94 Suzuki Swift g10 3tech stuff:Port&Polish,225/355 cam,11:1 CR, SS valves,+10 Cam gear,underdrive; K&N intake; LTLSU's Custom racing springs with Monroe struts (2" lower front, 0.5" lower back); 185/55/R14 Kumho Ecsta SPT tires on Eagle 040 rims; Stripped out interior and removed AC system

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:47 pm 

image_id: 14451

This is the summary picture of a SuzukiRD header.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:04 am 

the best part of suzukird headers is the only one unfortunally and for the question about fits with a larger filter, yes, It's fits, I'm using the best headers for a 1.0 and a HP 3001 K&N oil filter

Attachments:
File comment: 1.0 suzukird headers with large oil filter
air filter 5.jpg [285.5 KIB]
Downloaded 2170 times

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:35 am 
Dumb as a post

Anyone know of a way to trick the computer by using a resistor somehow to turn off the check engine light. After getting rid of the egr.

Engine:
Mike's head and cam, +10 cam gear, 42mm tb, .30 over rebuilt block, under drive pulley, lightened flywheel, suzukird header, full 2in exhaust, MSD ignition. Much more

Suspension:
KYB Gr2's and H&R Sport springs

Future mods. Short shifter, safc, sway bars, front and rear strut braces, Underbody brace, Port tbi housing, Brake upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 pm 

supertres wrote:
the best part of suzukird headers is the only one unfortunally and for the question about fits with a larger filter, yes, It's fits, I'm using the best headers for a 1.0 and a HP 3001 K&N oil filter

where did you get that header from?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 pm 
Dumb as a post

http://www.suzukird.com

Engine:
Mike's head and cam, +10 cam gear, 42mm tb, .30 over rebuilt block, under drive pulley, lightened flywheel, suzukird header, full 2in exhaust, MSD ignition. Much more

Suspension:
KYB Gr2's and H&R Sport springs

Future mods. Short shifter, safc, sway bars, front and rear strut braces, Underbody brace, Port tbi housing, Brake upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:57 pm 

I installed the SuzukiRD header before my Spring vacation in SoCal. Yes, it was expensive (see "racing"). Their customer service guy, Andy, was very helpful. Yes, I needed an O2 sensor bung. Yes, I should get the flange attachment. Gasket plus shipping and having a shop weld it was like $450US. You can drill, weld on an eBay O2 bung and reinstall sensor to get the CE light to go out, if you have to.

I posted this before and most of you have your decisions made but I think it was worth every penny. Not for everyone. It is louder, lower and not approved in 50 states for smog, ie save the old one(?). No shop would touch the header, I had to bolt it on and drive it down to have the Catco Cat. and glasspack welded on. Added a chrome muffler tip to get some sound waves beyond the fender. I wrapped mine (less heat) and painted it silver (2000 deg.); Thermo Tec.

Priceless: 85 on the 405. Crusing by the Ferrari and BMW dealers in Newport Beach at 5K rpm, rap the throttle and watch heads turn. Oh, made some noise leaving a local car show also. :D

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.