TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:03 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:58 pm 

jswift wrote:
Hey Leegti try this. I used to work with a guy who was a hardcore mustang guy. Monthly dyno runs and a massive ford racing tab. Anyways he told me one day that they ice packed the area around his air filter, or his buddies watever. Apparently they measured the charge or sumthing from the colder air and it yields a better perfomring vehicle. But everyone seems to see that there vehicle performs better in colder weather. I know someone will be able to better explain the whole cold air thing but basically cold air is better. Short ram is good but i personally think cold air is better. Now im not saying race him with an ice pack but try sticking your filter somewhere else. Wheel well is okay but gets dirty and is a pain if its raining. Before i bought my new car i was thinking of cramming the filter infront of the header. You'd have to remove the heatsheild and reduce the pipe to squeeze between the block and the body but it sure would look sharp and give you tons of cold air. Or you could keep the short ram and go t3 style with a hood scoop.
good advice but i doubt i'll be going to the freezer for a bag of ice before i go out everytime, it would melt after a while but ya i'd like to move my air filter some where else, for example stage 3 air filter in the SuzukiRD.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm 

Haha yea i didnt mean run to the freezer but rather saying that colder air works. My new car has wheel well intake and it looks good and seems to work good but i really cant compare it to short ram because this car has a few other mods that i havent had before and i can count on both hands how many times ive driven the thing. But yea give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:56 pm 

black_striped_GT wrote:
run a short ram and a 1 3/4"-2" exhaust.

Steve
mite try the short ram but i don't understand the exhaust, what do you mean 1 3/4"-2"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:03 pm 

Thats the pipe diameter. The numbers relate to inches. Good advice for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:55 am 

what i mean by that is you want to run either 1 3/4" (low to mid power) pipe or 2" pipe for a higher topend screamer. Go with 1 3/4" with the stock cams

Turbo lag? huh? nah! just traction lag :censor: :furious:

psssshh! don't tell anyone :ez_evil:

BTW GTi = Great Tiny Import :P

Image, Image

Post subject: ya
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 am 

OK, I dont care what people think, short ram is always better, I have tested at the track, as have others here, go with whats proven to work better, and it really dosent matter if it rains or not, not sure wich ricer came up with that, I have ran my bronco 2, back in the day when it was v6 with a filter right on the trottle body, and no hood, no difference, except more power, Its really really hard to water lock a motor!!! so please until you actually try it and you realize that it dosent matter weather its raining or not, dont talk about it, you can run a pipe down from where the filter box is if your really interested, but then try it with just the filter on the maf, always more power, and it might just be that your exaust and trottle body are too large for the low end, what rpm's are you launching at/ shifting at? I would almost say that you should launch at 6k rpm with these mods, but the decision is up to you, find a road, practice your launch and your 1st to 2nd, and if you get it down right you should be fine... suprising though, maybe hes got something up his sleeve you dont know about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 am 
Moderator & FAQ King
Moderator & FAQ King

black_striped_GT wrote:
...The short ram improved my 1/4 time compared to the stock intake, your throtle response will also improve. Also the shortram is better then a full out cold air intake ( filter in the fender) again tested at the track. I find anything other then the shortram slows the air flow a bit. I know many ppl will have different opinions on the short ram setup with the warm air but... with what it frees up on air flow(with a cone filter)i think it still an awsome mod, there will be many that agree....

I'm running the stock intake pipe, but I did wall off the air filter with some coroplast to form an airbox. I've noticed it does stop a lot of the warm air from getting near the filter. The intake air will stay a lot colder if you insulate the intake manifold from the cylinder head. My manifold plenum is cool to the touch with the engine running at operating temperature.

maybe a picture Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:12 am 

^ Thats how mine was set up, but now I've gone back to a k&n element filter in the origional airbox for the winter. I recon it pulls better with the k&n direct replacement filter than it did my big foam pipercross :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:35 pm 

i usually shift at 7rpm, what do you mean launch as in take off, it would spin at 6 rpm.
Thats cool LITHAN but i say i mite try aliminuim.

Blackstriped, i wouldn't have a clue what size my exhaust is. it's the full janspeed exhaust whatever that is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:50 pm 

i'm sure u slippin on the wet !! and BMW got better traction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:15 pm 

i say it's the wheels are too after all, because when i had the standard steel wheels on, she was mad. but I got 15's on now. 15" alloys are not big alloys, but for swift's they are. I notice with my swift. she is a fast light car but when there's any bit of weight, it can't take it as good. there's no great torque to pull. if I have four people in my swift it's like the car is pulling a trailer it is dead slow. I just need to get lighter alloys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:24 pm 

where can I get a short ram intake? that means i must buy a small breather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 pm 

You'l need to buy a maf adapter and an air filter to fit over it.

Post subject: uh hu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:03 am 

the wheels are definitly killing you, I would go with some 13's if you can get em, the short ram is just the filter on the end of the maf, so slam a adapter and filter on, then get some aluminum sheet metal, and make a wall, you might try making a "wall" around your intake manifold as well... and when you launch (take off) are you just dumping the clutch (letting off quickly) or are you slowly letting off of it? you really dont have any torque so you gotta launch high , but let your clutch out half way for a sec till you get going (I know people are going to hate on me over riding the clutch, but what do you do when theres no power?) then after you feel your tires grip and you start to move, let it out the rest of the way, then youll get going faster then just letting off of it quickly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 pm 

I don't 13's would fit a swift gti. 14's are the smallest I think. Ya I have an air filter and a adapter luk :shock: Image
But a short ram is what I'm missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:34 pm 
Suzuki Elder

LeeGTi wrote:
I don't 13's would fit a swift gti. 14's are the smallest I think.

13" stock steelies won't fit but chuckwagon runs 13" aftermarket rims with gt brakes. there's no room for stick on wheel weights and the inside of the rim just barely clears the caliper, but he runs 13" wheels none the less.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:18 am 

Ok, then get some 14's, you pretty much got a ram air, get some sheet metal, put it in between the motor and the filter, that will bring the temp down, and I would eliminate the hose from the valve cover, get a filter from an autozone or something, like 5 bucks, and then you could shorten the intake pipe from the maf to the trottle body it would look, I'm retarded help your trottle response a little, ( some people like to do this and some dont) you could also advance the timing, I think someone already said that, cams are pretty much going to be your only friend, and a new ecu, not positive, but dont the rally chips give you more low end and mid?, you built the motor to thrive in high rpm's so you have to race in high rpms, 4000-8500 would look, I'm retarded be your best power band to shoot for...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:08 am 

If I get cam's, do I have to get cam gear's then? I got 15's because I couldn't find a decent pair of 14's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:27 pm 
Sad but True...

1. Cultus IM .It is PROVEN to up your Power
The "Ice Box" when you put ice on your intake does help.I have never done it,but I do know people who do. People between runs set a Ice bag on their intake.It cools down the intake Temp for awhile.

If my Swift was as fast as Tg or m's car I'd be famous...
My car is a trailer queen 'cause it's too slow to merge safely into traffic

Post subject: no
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:06 am 

lol, no you dont need adjustable cam gears to run aftermarket cams, they just help you change the timing without removing the timing belt... just slap in the cams (maybe clean the lifters while your in there) and put the belt on, retime and your done... lol, put ice on your intake manfold, and put a shield between the intake manifold and the engine, that will help keep it cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:28 pm 

thanks lads your da best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:09 pm 
King of Pompous

Nitrous is the best bang for your buck :P

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:49 pm 

m wrote:
Nitrous is the best bang for your buck :P
I don't know, it could be a lot of pressure on the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:19 pm 
King of Pompous

I was being sarcastic to your situation but...

If you run a small 35 shot on the car it will make more power than the other mods combined and still be well into a safe area as far as the engine is concerned. I ran a 55 shot in mine and it was really fast. With the 75 shot it absolutely flew...before the clutch started to slip...

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:44 pm 

Is Nos difficult to install?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next