TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:38 pm 

What about installing a small one gallon tank of the stuff in the engine compartment, hooking up it's own fuel system plumbed into your intake runners, and tuning it to run as a secondary system in conjuntion with the stock EFI system with an arming switch and a WOT switch, temporarily boosting performance?

Nitro can be had at hobby shops in the gallon size, and the fuel contains it's own oxygen molecules, so wouldn't it be almost like a different form of a nitrous system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:09 am 

Ok. I found this AFTER I typed up the post.
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=451&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It seems this is pretty much uncharted territory. I know there is great risk of damaging pistons. And it seems that RC car fuel is a mix of methanol and nitro. So, pure nitro might not be as easy to find as I first thought. Still, I think there might be merit to this idea.

I'm picking up an old sun exhaust gas analyzer later this week from craigslist. How would this machine register AFR, and contents, minus the absurd NOx levels, at a proper tune between petrol and nitro?

I'm assuming alot here, and I bet that not much is known about the way I'm thinking of doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:53 am 

R/C nitro fuel also has castor oil in it to lube the R/C engine, as their 2 strokes, castor oil is kinda nasty sticky stuff. Also nitromethane and methanol both have differnet stoichemetric air/fuel ratios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:24 pm 
Sad but True...

id probably suggest against this idea, but if you wanna play to learn go ahead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:18 pm 

Ahhh, a man with a need to wreck perfectly good parts. I also have a love of Nitromethane experiments. Your idea is not new, or impossible, but i expect you'll make a big pile of scrap before you figure out how to make it work...or make a strong enough engine to make it work.
My friend runs an A/fuel car (nitro without supercharger in Top/Alchohol class) and usually has fuel availible. Shipping fuel might be a bad idea, but you should be able to buy Nitro at any NHRA national event from the VP truck.
...good luck with your experiments, and start gathering spares now!

Darcy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:16 am 

Check the mini sprint tracks most of the guys that run in the top class have a 55 gallon drum of the stuff and you can usually by some from them. Thats how my dad gets his for model airplanes.