TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:13 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 pm 

I just completed a valve job, new pistons/rings & rod bearings, new timing belt w/tensioner and water pump on my stock 89' Geo Metro G10 5-spd XFi. Runs great, good compression, no leaks or oil burn.

In addition to a K&N air filter and platinum spark plugs, I got a MSD Blaster 5900 ignition to improve gas milage. The 5900 has been a dud - it didn't work (wouldn't start), and the setup instructions that MSD tech support provided (points type setup) via the MSD forum did not work. I think the 5900 is either bad or not compatible with 3-cyl engine. None of MSD's setup diagrams match the Geo Metro ignition.

I've read that many of you are using MSD 6A ignitions on both G10 and G13 engines, but I haven't found a simple diagram or setup instruction on how to install a MSD ignition on a stock 89' Geo Metro (no tach, TBFI, stock distributor, stock coil).

Since this is my daily driver, and not modified for performance, is it worth the cost/effort to upgrade the stock ignition? I'm looking to improve mileage, and a hotter spark can help do that. Would a better coil be worth the cost? Any suggestions on a better coil? Any suggections on a CDI (that's compatible), and how to connect it up?

Thanks!

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:25 pm 

I think the stock coil is fine, the 6al works by using power from your battery to boost the coil to pushing out more voltage, they advertise 400 and something volts to the coil, I used to use one on an old truck I had... but I think the suzuki coil does better then the msd blaster2... to install a msd 6al you take the pos and neg wires that would go to the coil and put them on the "in" end of the 6al and put the "out" wires were the origonal pos and neg would go, thats it, and you put the positive and negative wires that power the 6al on the battery... if you want you can also install a kill switch on the positive line to the battery, like run it under the dash or something, that way nobody can steal your car, cuz theres no power to the ignition. but once you get a 6al you will see how it works theres only 6 wires, 2 6al power wires 2 "in" wires and "2 out" wires...

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 pm 

Thanks metrojunction, that setup seems simple enough for the MSD 6AL. I'll look for a 6AL. Would it be the same setup for a 6A? I don't think I'll need the rev limiter included with the 6AL.

I wish the 5900 setup was that simple, or at least worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:59 pm 

yes, it does work the same on the 6a, actually I had a 6a in my truck, but afterwards I sonld it to a friend, he wanted to get the rev limiter and said that the 6a and the 6al bolt up the same, im pretty sure theres a writeup on here for installing a 6a or a 6al on a swift, but even if there isnt, its fairly simple....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:58 am 

The TBI G10 is not a points type distributor. Although the MK2 models operate similarly to a points type, they have a pickup coil that feeds into a module inside the dist, creating a square wave (on/off signal).

The MK3 and newer ones just had the pickup coil feeding into the wiring harness, creating a sine wave (~~~~~~~) where the transition from up to down on the wave form tells the ECM to fire the coil.

Electricity can be confusing....