TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Propane boost...
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:50 pm 

So I am going out on a limb here with this concept. Would you be able to achieve boost by fabbing a propane injection system into a TBI engine? Or is propane less, potent i guess would be the word, than gasoline?

-Front lowered 2", euro taillights with LED light bar, clear corners, CAI, 31x10.50 Rear tire swap
1993 Dakota
- All stock, big ol v8 beast. Wanna buy it?

Post subject: Re: Propane boost...
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:33 pm 

Try reading this to find your answer....

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=24712&page=9

I didn't read it all, but it looks informative.

1988 Chevrolet Sprint (Forsa clone) 3Tech cam and underdrive pulley, MSD 8mm wireset, shaved head, Weber 32/36 carb, Honda short shifter, KYB Gr2 suspension, Summit tach and gauges, Pilot steering wheel, NEW! Summit Multi-spark CDI
Project Page
1993 Geo Metro Only mods so far are a Honda short shifter, Glowshift tach and a 3a Racing ricer muffler (freebie)
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:04 pm 

Propane is typically used with diesel engines, but the Viper guys use it a lot along with nitrous. I think it's more of a detonation reducer than a power adder. Propane can cool down the air charge, and it's higher octane than pump gas, but doesn't make as much power as gasoline.

I don't think you're going to see a power increase by injecting propane.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 am 
Bozo the crying clown

Propane is just plain stupid . ONLY idiots use it. There is NO power increase and it doesn't help with mileage. :roll:

After getting torn a new a-hole, from MANY (non-believers) on this board for even mentioning it, it's refreshing to see someone who's interested in it. (don't EVER mention anytioning about leaving a catalytic convertor on as you'll get a "bozo the crying clown" added to your sig. :mrgreen:

It works dude, but expect only a slight increase in HP. Maybe 5hp?...I like it because it makes up for the lost power from using the AC in the warm weather. It also increases the octane so you can bump your timing up a little more.

Also it's NOT street legal. The guy who I bought my setup from no longer sells them due to the legal issues.

Bozo (the crying clown) :alien:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 am 

Propane is only and I stress this ONLY under conditions where the normal fuel supply is incapable of keeping a proper mixture ratio.

Propane is a hydrocarbon just like Gas. It requires a proper AFR to burn properly, it is like alcohol, you need more of it to burn properly, but it will handle a higher compression ratio than gas.

Just bolting on a propane injection kit, is like jamming your injectors to run at 100% duty cycle, you don't gain power by flooding your engine. =)

rarson wrote:
Propane is typically used with diesel engines, but the Viper guys use it a lot along with nitrous. I think it's more of a detonation reducer than a power adder. Propane can cool down the air charge, and it's higher octane than pump gas, but doesn't make as much power as gasoline.

I don't think you're going to see a power increase by injecting propane.

The only way you'll see a power increase is if you advance your timing even further than is possible on gas. But you won't see much for a hp increase, or fuel econ boost. All that extra hardware does weigh something, and propane isn't light, ever pick up a BBQ canister?

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:11 pm 
Bozo the crying clown

Don't believe the naysayers....
It seems those who haven't tried something will bash it to no end. (no name dropping here) :(

My advice.........Don't go spending alot of money on a system to gain about 5hp. There's better ways to do it.
The one I have was about 100 bux and uses 1lb camping cylinders..(which can be refilled with a big 20lb tank) .The whole shootin' match weighs about 2 lbs. (with bottle of propane) So if that's too much weight for anyone to lug around, then maybe they should take a crap BEFORE getting in their car so that they will get better mileage, due to a lighter load. :lol:

It also has limited effect in winter as propane doesn't flow so well below 40 degrees until you get some heat under the hood and warm the bottle.

Be VERY careful if you want to try and fab one up at home as it's the size of the restrictor orifice in the system that is key. Too big an orifice and you'll encounter a rich scenario....too small and you'll see no benefit, whatsoever. I did some reverse engineering on the one I have and compared it to propane and mapp torches... The orifices are DIFFERENT.

WARNING....Do NOT hook up a gas grill regulator or use a propane torch for experimenting!!!
******************************************************************** The one I have can be manually "dialed in" to where you want it.

Your car's computer will lean out the mix a little with the propane on. (to compensate)
and it'll run NICE and smoothe, from idle to redline.

Good luck and maybe you can give ACTUAL first hand experience on whether it works or not. :-) (not just speculation)

Jimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:38 pm 

I never said it worked or it didn't. I simply stated what I know and the conclusion that I came to when considering whether or not I'd be willing to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:21 am 

I saw a video on the web yesterday that said by injecting butaine into a street bike it increase the mileage from 60's to high 90's. Actualy they were using rite gaurd deoderant cans.

Same story said that by putting mentos in Mt Dew at night and sealing the cap you get a glow in the dark reaction. I haven't tried either but if the mentos checks out It might be worth looking into. I thought Propane was for diesels mostly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:21 am 

Justintoxicated wrote:
I saw a video on the web yesterday that said by injecting butaine into a street bike it increase the mileage from 60's to high 90's. Actualy they were using rite gaurd deoderant cans.

And the cost per mile of the Rightguard was?