TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 am 

Alright, I have a 1994 Geo Metro 1.0 3 cyl with a 5 speed. My ultimate goal is to have a quick ass geo, bottom end accentuated more so than the top end. My plans at this point are:
Rebuilt head
Performance Cam
Timing Advance
Overbore
Turbo someday....
CAI
Oversized throttlebody
Planning on getting a general rebuild kit with new pistons for the overbore and new gaskets bearings etc
new ignition/coil

Now here is where you guys come in...

For what i have told you, what is my best bet on cam and timing advance? (Going with a 3tech cam)

Is the 52mm throttlebody overkill or will that work nicely?

what is a good ignition setup?

Is there any other advice/insights you can offer? Thanks much!

The cylinder overbore leaves me curious as to how much can be safely taken out? .60 would be prime for the displacement increase, raising my 1.0 to a 1.3, however will that leave too little wall, especially considering hopes of turboing someday? .20 seems almost negligable, would .40 be alright if .60 is too great? And i know i saw someone on here who said why bore it if it isnt necessary, well I am boring in pursuit of hp gain by displacement. Leave me be lol

Greg

-Front lowered 2", euro taillights with LED light bar, clear corners, CAI, 31x10.50 Rear tire swap
1993 Dakota
- All stock, big ol v8 beast. Wanna buy it?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:20 am 

Superf1y at 3Tech can tell you what cam and cam timing would be best, he's the expert on the three cylinders. I think 52mm would be too much, the XFI which was tuned for bottom end power used a smaller than stock throttle body. The stock ignition is perfectly fine until you get up to crazy power levels, if there's any money left in your wallet you don't need ignition upgrades.

You've got something horribly wrong with your math, most likely the missing 0 in your planned .60 overbore, that's more than half an inch! That should be .060 I think, and will increase your 1.0 to 1.03, not 1.3 liters. These numbers are approximations but the point is: any overbore you can do to the stock sleeves is just to square things up and will not gain you any significant displacement increase.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:59 am 
Sad but True...

or just dont bother with half that shit and strap a turbo kit on it and buy a fuel pump. seriously, NA mods on a 3cyl are a waste of time

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm 

yeah my bad .060 and 1.03, whoops. So what is your throttle body recommendation then? 47 mm perhaps?

and thanks so far!

-Front lowered 2", euro taillights with LED light bar, clear corners, CAI, 31x10.50 Rear tire swap
1993 Dakota
- All stock, big ol v8 beast. Wanna buy it?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:32 pm 
Sad but True...

well if you are going to grab my turbo shit, you (ideally) will want to track down an intake manifold/ecu/harness from the turbo cars and drill the knock sensor aswell as the oil lines, BUT. there are a bunch of people using pressure hats and keeping the stock tbi with a turbo setup and gaining power just like that. They didnt spend too much but they got a gain. if you are looking to spend money, get your turbo stuff setup and go from there. stock intake manifold/tb could be had for really cheap (when you find it) and im using it even on my higher powered car. Id probably recommend you spend the money you are planning on spending on getting this turbo stuff setup properly and maybe send mike a pm for a cam. youll gain alot more power than trying to bore it out and wasting money that way (assuming engine is in moderate condition atleast still)

all in all though, turbos will make the power

and hey, if you are really serious about getting this stuff together, I could raid a yard around here for some of the stuff you are looking for and send you one big package since I wouldnt be sending out this turbo stuff asap anyways... I hit up the yards occasionally. You have to let me know how serious you are with this, I dont waste time

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 pm 

If you stay NA, grab a trans from a convertable, A.K.A. "Vert", when you wreck yours from power shifting, reverse doughnuts, whatever. The vert trans has the highest ratio numerically, a 4.39:1, swaps right in, and gives you more grunt down low and takes away from your top speed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:31 pm 

swift13b wrote:
or just dont bother with half that shit and strap a turbo kit on it and buy a fuel pump. seriously, NA mods on a 3cyl are a waste of time

Make it a GTi, swap in the 1.3L twin cam and then start thinking about mods.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2105148