TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Header Wraps
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:44 pm 

I was curious about these, google search and found a website that was against them and their reasoning.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/exhau ... g-138.html

Quote:
* Header wraps are designed to keep the heat in the header to improve scavenging of the cylinders. Keeping the heat in the header allows the exhaust speed to remain high. (the right idea)
* There are no header manufacturers that I know of that will warranty their headers if any header wraps are installed on their products.
* In most cases the header wrap damages the headers beyond repair. (I will explain below)
* If you run a lean mixture, you "may" see a slim performance gain using header wraps. A rich mixture may show slim to absolutely NO gain in performance.
* If you do not mind replacing your headers and header gaskets regularly, and you like that ugly look of a wrapped header, go ahead and use the heat wrap.

Quote:
If you want a true thermal barrier that will reduce thermal loss in the header, reduce under hood temperatures, and make a few horsepower in the process, have your headers thermal coated by one of the many companies available. Most all of the coating companies offer inside and outside, multi-layer coating as standard. DO NOT allow your headers to only be coated on the outside, this is not a complete or quality process.

my questions for the board would be: how much would it cost to get my 4cyl headers coated ? is getting the exhaust headers coated a good cost/performance modification ? would it be better just to wrap them ? do i even need to get a coating/wrap ?

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

Post subject: Re: Header Wraps
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:14 pm 
King of Pompous

Why don't you just google thermal coatings and find a company nearby that you can call for a quote?

FAKE FRIENDS: Never ask for food.
REAL FRIENDS: Is the reason you have no food.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:39 pm 
smart@ss

Yes.
No.
Maybe.

Any other questions?

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:44 pm 
banned and still posting

It cost about $120 to have mine coated, would have been less if I didn't want the shiny Ceramakrome coating.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:01 pm 

He's even within driving distance of the place I used to get my headers coated, and they did an excellent job.

Kool Coat Ceramic Coatings IIRC

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:55 am 

1995Firefly4dr wrote:
is getting the exhaust headers coated a good cost/performance modification ? would it be better just to wrap them ? do i even need to get a coating/wrap ?

I doubt there would be any noticeable performance gain, any difference will be quite subtle. If you're getting a header from SuzukiRD, I can see getting it coated for cosmetic/longevity purposes. Their chrome plating is awful and the header will look like shit in a month.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:03 am 
banned and still posting

^ That was my purpose. I wanted it to last and the rust was already taking hold on it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:27 pm 

i see, i guess this is not worth for me to get done, i'm not racing the car anyways.

2000 Firefly 1.3 SOHC 16VALVE AUTO. Goals: full restoration, achieve stock MPG and HP or higher, finished look should be 'stealthy' and unassuming. Engine will need to be rebuilt later on to restore compression levels.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:34 pm 

Woodie wrote:
1995Firefly4dr wrote:
is getting the exhaust headers coated a good cost/performance modification ? would it be better just to wrap them ? do i even need to get a coating/wrap ?

I doubt there would be any noticeable performance gain, any difference will be quite subtle. If you're getting a header from SuzukiRD, I can see getting it coated for cosmetic/longevity purposes. Their chrome plating is awful and the header will look like shit in a month.

LoL, still remember the guy saying, how some of the welds were amazing, and how some looked like shit, I told him the good welds was the work I had done to it. lol

One good thing about the shitty chrome was that it made sandblasting it off easy. :)

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah