TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:13 am 

Any older members please throw some light on it ... in terms of side gapped plugs harming ignition system or engine in any ways ???

I did it on my existing R8YC Champions and found my idling RPM more stabilised, engine much lighter now, more responsive and throttle friendly even with Air Conditioner full on.

I did it using a small hack saw and a small file.

Pic attached.

Thanks.

Attachments:
spark plug mod.jpg
spark plug mod.jpg [ 78.93 KIB | Viewed 3447 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:47 am 

I'm an "older member" as you put it but I don't have a clue. 8)

:huh: It works. I don't see it as harming the engine unless or until the electrode wears off. Give it 500-1000 miles and check the plugs. It looks similar in design concept to my Bosch Platinum +4's only 1/3 the price. Of course there's the new E3 http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/ Which look funky, eh.

Very clever and creative... :mrgreen:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:07 pm 

Here's a factory side gapped plug for ya. 5/8" hex, 3/4" reach, 14mm thread. Heat range? I don't know..... Cool design though.

NGK2288

Originally designed for a 2000 Porsche 911 3.4 litre. It would fit in a Suzuki engine.
Strangely, Champs, Bosch, Autolite, ETC, for the same application is a conventional plug. Only the NGK has this design.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:13 pm 

For quite a few days I wasn't happy with the acceleration of the car but side gapping my plugs has made a remarkable change and at the cost of repetition my idling rpm has now stabilised as if i have cleaned my IAC valve, whereas I haven't touched that since I installed an oil catch can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 pm 

Never heard of it. I assume the theory is just by removing the metal above the electrode theres nothing to get in front of the flame front?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm 

:huh: Bosch seems to have a similar design to the NGK... patents, eh. I love my Bosch +4s. I think you are right fitsandy, they do make a difference. Your butt Dyno seems well tuned. I am doing an oil catch can also.
3pontiacs, I think you are correct. :D I've heard the term "Squashing the Flame" as it applies to plugs. Seems to work well for us to remove the electrode from above, er... below the spark. Nothing between spark and fuel, more even burn pattern?

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:48 pm 

So reading up on this more, it sorta makes sense, but it goes back to the original question, is this harmful to the Ignition system or the engine?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:14 pm 

Ertman wrote:
So reading up on this more, it sorta makes sense, but it goes back to the original question, is this harmful to the Ignition system or the engine?

When you increase the travel space between the two points you increase the amount of voltage required to fire. So as long as you keep the gapping correct, it should be fine.

J. McBean: '98 Suzuki Swift 1.3L 16v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk5" Made in Canada
The Mini Rattler: '94 Suzuki Swift .993L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk3" Made in Canada *The Winter Beater*
B. Berry: '90 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint 1.0L 6v SOHC 5sp+ "Mk2" Made in Japan

I got 18MPG in a 3cyl with a 5 speed manual 4dr, '93 Metro! :yeahyeah

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:20 am 

I think the tip of the spark plug would corrode or carbon up faster or whatever you call it. Might be good for short-term, but how much of a difference could it possibly make really, outside of being a placebo.