TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:16 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:32 pm 

I'm working on yet another n/a G10 performance build, and figure i could supply some info and inspiration to others.
The car i'm working with is a model i haven't delt with before. it's a '94 geo metro with an EGR system, tb heater and all.
I'm probably going to try to bypass a few systems for the sake of power or simplicity, but i'm still going to try and keep the original ecu. I will also give you a run-down of the install of the ultimate cold air intake... a shaker hood scoop!
I'll make a few post's with pics later this week of a few simple manifold alterations and some short wright ups on how to's and what to look for.
All $0.02 welcome!

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

Last edited by _Scratch_ on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:40 pm 

I have to keep an eye on your hood scoop. I took a lot of guff for ram air I want to see what your scoop looks like. I was told the Colorado pic was shopped.
image_id: 14562
But it is possible.
My '91 has no EGR. :D I plugged the PCV and added a catch can which I like, removed the TB bridge. Some stuff is listed in my signature.
Best of luck with your new toy!

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

Last edited by BadBent on Mon May 25, 2009 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:45 pm 

Scratch...If you've got a Library Card, Go to one & Check out "Tuning the A-Series Engine" by David Vizard. It's actually for Small Displacement British Engines ( Sprites, Mini's, Morris, Etc ) but there is a whole bunch of stuff in there that Just Might be applicable to our engines. Read it with a open mind and then "Take Your Mind for a Walk......." Very best of luck on your Project.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 pm 

Thanks earthtoad.
You reminded me of a http://www.despair.com/viewall.html Demotivator, SANITY: Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

Last edited by BadBent on Mon May 25, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 pm 

ok, my camera f***ed up... i lost a few pics of me matching the intake ports and the throttle body alteration... sorry. but hear are some pics i up-loaded.

the hood scoop...

the intake assembly

the throttle body

more later! :D :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:40 pm 

hear's some more pics...

the stock intake manifold has 2 "bungs" that hang down into cylinders #1 and #2's runners, restricting flow. the bungs are simply there to seal off the mounting bolts from the throttle body. with this blind hole, the "blind" part is not required... so i hogged it out with the dremmel tool! took about 3 hours though...

cyl# 1

now that same runner after i attacked it...

the only way i could machine it out...

then i matched the ports... and hears where my camera screwed up, so i lost the prosses behind it...

then i ported the rest of the head...

more soon... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:27 pm 

in an attempt to see what i could do with some of the stock parts, i decided to make my own light weight drive pulley by machining the old unit down to minimums...

i'm still going to get it balanced when i get my flywheel lightened as awell.
more soon! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 pm 

well, i'm singing the slow machine shop blues... :roll:
quick question, how many of you guys run'n 11:1 compression ratios?
any one have any issues?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:21 pm 
Sad but True...

what kind of issues are you thinking about? youll have to probably pull the whole timing map back a little (turning the dist) if you are keeping the stock ecu, maybe you should fit a wideband o2 if keeping the stock fueling system too, and try to dial in a CTS mod if it needs more fuel. that is a bit of a jump in compression ratio... shouldnt hurt it though, especially with increased airflow to keep it running cooler.

what are you planning to do about your camshaft/gear on this build?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:57 pm 

Stay a little lower, and run more timing.
In my experience, you can get the same, or better power with less octane.
When I ran 11-1, 93 octane was the minimum, and the power did not warrant it.
How were you planning on getting 11-1?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 am 

custom set of pistons. i'm planning on running a turbo crank & rods. since the wrist pins are differant, and there isn't a set of 75mm turbo pistons to be had at 10.5:1, i figured i'd order a custom set of 11:1's through wiseco. simmilar to suzuki RD's n/a set. i am also intending to run a crude form of water/alcohol injection also to keep things cool & clean. (not to mention the ani-detonation properties... or the fact that i can run some home brew in the car! :lol: )
the pistons have not been ordered yet, so if you guys feel 11:1 is too high, i'm open to changing my mind.

oh, and the cam & gear:
222-365 with a 10 degree advanced sproket :twisted:

by the way, thanks supr1y :wink: they look great!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 pm 

Stay with the stock pistons, and machine the head for compression.
You can take as much mat'l as you want, but my experience indicated that .040" (10-1 to 10.5-1) was as good as .060", and easier to keep from detonating.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:31 pm 

hmmmm...
this makes me wonder... i may have to ponder this for a bit.. :huh:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:42 pm 

well, on a slightly differant tangent, some other i things i have been working on while i wait on the machine shop:

- 2.25" cat-less exhaust. all tig welded, all mandrel bends...
- hand made ss resonator "muffler" :twisted:
- 3 cyl. equal length header
- bush bar with 2000lb. winch and tractor "fog" lights
- dixie air horn install
- installing numerous guages
- fiberglass water injection resivour tank with level guage

pics posted once i get back to the farm.

Last edited by _Scratch_ on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:53 pm 

"pics posted once i get back to the farm."

Teasing is not fair.... =)
:lol:

Thanks so much for the updates and inspiration.... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 am 

some more pics.

installing an oil temp sensor

trans temp sensor

building my muffler/resonator/ exhaust tip

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:41 am 

my guages

my bush bar complete with 2000lb winch and tractor flood lights

that's it for the moment, stay tuned! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:34 pm 

a few more developments...

the guages all lit up

my home made exhaust flange
all ports have been perfectly matched

the header and full 2 1/4 inch system along with my home made muffler and 2 glass packs

the system installed

more once i get my engine back from the machine shop... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:59 pm 
Sad but True...

if you are planning on injecting water, why not consider methyl hydrate instead? can run way more compression

are you going strictly performance? looks like alot of this would help economy if you could keep your foot out of it. that cam will eat lots of fuel though

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:26 pm 

i'm looking for the best of both. i commute 200km each day snow or shine just to get back and forth to work. i'm looking for decent fuel milage (as compared to the chev cavalier we're using right now) and i need to have some balls for passing on the 2 lane highway. i will be running a water/meth mix that only kicks in between 6hg" and 0 for increaced compression lower flame deck temps and all the other benafits associated with water and meth.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:01 pm 
Sad but True...

if you are using a mix atleast use the supertech walmart stuff. it says -40 and is green. its what im using anyways. closest to 50/50 mix you can get, and its super cheap (2.69 for 4 liters here)

but now that ive down converted to 87 octane, im considering using straight meth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:46 pm 

That looks sooo good!

IMHO You'll be accomplishing two things between the cam and the exhaust. With my 215/350 I have 'power to pass' and you're going to have even more with the 222/365 and 10 deg. cam gear. :yeahyeah The header and flow through exhaust will free up the engine a lot (less constipated), obviously. I went from 87 octane to 89 and gained 1 km/liter (2.5 mpg). I'm running 92 and have 2 weeks before I have to fill up for an mpg check. :mrgreen:

Still on 87/89 octane at 100 kph with the 215/350 and +10, I averaged 22.1 km/liter (52 mpg) on this years 2400 Km (1500 mile) vacation. Most of the trip was above 760 meters (2500 ft.). Higher than Holden, eh.

I hope the hood scoop is doing well. :D :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:58 am 

i will fine tune the mixture, but i plan to start off running 50% methanol, 5% isopropyl alcohol, 45% distiled water.
it should go off with quite the pop while still quenching the flame deck...

i'm still unsure of what kind of base timing i should go with, but the 'ol rule of thumb of "keep go'n 'till she knocks then turn 'er back a hair" will still ring true.

i wish i had a knock sensor............

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:01 am 

with reguards to the scoop/forced cold air intake, i don't know why anyone would give you "guff" over the idea there BADBRENT. suzuki's S.R.A.D. (suzuki ram air direct) air intake system has seen great success on the track and street ever since they threw it on the GSXR's. something i thought was well known, and frankly common sence... the amount of unheated ambient air scooped up by such a system (of course taking into account the air streem profile of the vehicle) is massive. the fact that at 100+ km/h the engine's consumption of said air is far less than that of wich is being "scooped", meaning there is natually a pressure increace ahead of the throttle body in she scoop and already past the filter, will easily translate into increaced performance. increaced air pressure along with the relitivly cool/dence charge = a mild form of forced induction. a week, natural turbo charger. i will report my relitive air pressure, speed, RPM figures once the car is on the road. i am surprised this topic hasn't seen more exploraton already...
the moment you stomp on the throttle at 100km/h, the manifold has no real choise but to be above atmospheric pressure (aka boost) from the simple volume and surface area of the scoop. i would think to most this would be a no-brainer... in my case, stomping on it will also trigger the water injection system for an additional boost in my compression ratio, cooling of the charge, and sight theoretical increase of octain.

win win i figure...

but i'm no engineer :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 pm 

new development, i found some boch platinum 4's to run! :twisted:
oh, and some header heat wrap as well...

this brings me to an interesing thought...
the hotter the exhaust, the lower the dencity right? the lower the dencity, the less fluid resistance to flow correct? now, header tape is rather expensive, (about 50 bucks a 50' roll. not including clips or silicone spray) which brings me to the question "what is it comprised of?". simple, flat braid fiber glass. the insulating properties of glass are well known throughout the world and it is common to use fiberglass insulation around extreem sources of heat. the only trouble is, the fluffy stuff dosen't make good header wrap. so what i'm proposing is to use fiber glass mat in conjunction with high heat rtv silicone (more as a glue and sealent really) as an exhaust system wrap. it's cheep, and would be effective... -and weighs a hell of la lot less than double walled pipe.

any thoughts?