TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:55 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:17 am 

I used 50' of COOL IT Thermo Tec insulating wrap (<$40?)and had enough for my header and the left over that when I installed the wife's OEM Catalytic converter I wrapped the pipe from the header to the Cat. I used a pipe clamp to secure it and sprayed the black tape with 2000 deg. silver so I'd know I got coverage. The tape has no asbestos or carcinogens. Never itched like fiberglass will. But the fiberglass might save you a few dollars. Only would it melt?

My advantage was having years of wrapping bicycle handlebars with cloth tape which made header wrapping a breeze. :D

You are right about density and heat. Air/fluid expands when heated. More air between the molecules. Is that related to the wrapping? I did it to have hotter exhaust for the Cat. and keep the engine compartment cooler. As Advertised.
I stopped using Lucas or Seafoam additives and my +4's insulator became white with one tank full of 89 octane. :D
I'm happy for you! :D :D

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:04 pm 
Sad but True...

platinum 4's are junk. buy some 1-step hotter ngk coppers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:51 pm 

Nice job on the header! Have you thought about producing those for resale??? :D

Currently driving a 1996 Geo Metro 1.0L
Mods coming...............

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:53 pm 

i don't know if any of you at all recall, but i previously posted (some time ago) a topic on my reserch of calculated headers and the theory of pulse inversion. in that post, i mentioned that i do intend to develop calculated headers for production and sales. i however am not prepared at this time to produce any headers for sale. :| i am trying to get myslf set up to do so though. a big part of that is my current lack of a test bench and morrison test guage. it is comming though! :wink:

i do appreciate the interest though! :D

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:35 pm 

an other mod i wish to share with y'all helps get way more power to the ground. or at least the grounds that is... =)

suzuki certainly cheeped out when it came to wiring these cars... i'm sure everyone has noticed their dim headlights and slow heater fan at idle, one of the reasons we all have these issues (other than the really really light wiring :roll: ) is the fact that our aging cars have rusting grounds and only 2 ground connections from the battery. if one simply increases the number of grounds directly from the battery and distributes the connections to key areas, you can get more bang from the battery for your buck.
one of the large advantages i find there is to this mod is the fact that the coil is more directly grounded to the engine, allowing for a higher energy spark. this really heps cold starts, idle and low end torque. the other bonus, well... i've never seen wipers work that fast! :lol:

i cast a 6 post lead battery terminal for this exact purpose. i then used 4 guage 600volt copper welding ground wire as the leads. it turned out pretty good! the only hickup i had was the fact that i couldn't find 4 guage crimp ring terminals... :? so i made those too! -out of 3/8" copper tubing! :lol:

i'll post pics once i get back to the farm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:46 am 

"if one simply increases the number of grounds directly from the battery and distributes the connections to key areas, you can get more bang from the battery for your buck."
I remember that post. :D
Oh, absolutely agree. I went the easy way and bought one of the wire sets off eBay. I list it as 7mm ground system in my signature. It's close, about the same diameter as the plug wires. I recently added a short wire from the TB to the firewall bolt which has a 7mm ground going to the battery and coil ground.

I got the Voltage Stabilizer.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer If nothing else it add bling and a flashy red/green LED. :lol:

Great idea! _Scratch_ :sunny:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:17 pm 

the terminal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:30 am 

well, i've been thinking... once i get the engine back from the machine shop (which was delivered to their shop on june 12th and the f**king thing still aint done yet!) and get the car on the road & breoken in, i should make use of a few of the spare trans i got laying around and swap in a better trans... i have a few turbo trans, an xfi unit and one plain jane N/A sprint trans laying around. i figure if i mix them all up a bit, i can build a better trans than the one i'm working with... the standard sprint trans (which only had about 160k on it) would probably have the least wear all'round (fingers crossed) the xfi final drive would be nice to swap in as well, and (i know some may not like this...) perhaps one of the turbo diffs with a phantom grip installed.
the phantom grip would be a hell of alot better for winter, and the xfi final drive would be better for all the highway miles i put on, what do you guys figure? worth taking a crack at?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:00 am 

I went commercial on my ground wires...

However, having read your latest posts, _Scratch_ , I revisited my tower strut brace/air cleaner interference problem. Found two great Ram Air information sites and re-installed it.

Last night I was driving 30 miles to the next town to see a friend. Doing 105 Kph and it sounded great! It likes CAI Ram Air. There's a 200 meter elevation short climb with a passing lane and I was following a small car. I dropped to 4th at the bottom, and then 3rd to pass, still doing 105 (65 mph) at 6,000 rpm. I even took the 64 Kph (40 mph) sweeping turn, middle lane, at 105 and it stuck very well while passing the car. Thanks for your inspiration _Scratch_ . :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:01 pm 

Well, I finally did it, video of my Geo under load.
Thanks _Scratch_ . 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm 

You should send me your tb injector head to hogg out like mine. on my bone stock metro even with the stock air cleaner it made one hell of a differance! :twisted: not bad work though... one day, try increasing the inlet surface area of the air scoop. that will increase the potential of the scoop. my scoop is aprox. 4" x 6" for a total surface area of 24 square inches. the more air you can harness, the greater the pressure potential.

never seen a roof scoop on a metro before lol. looks sweet!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm 

Thank you _Scratch_.
I may take you up on your offer.
"try increasing the inlet surface area of the air scoop. that will increase the potential of the scoop. my scoop is aprox. 4" x 6" for a total surface area of 24 square inches. the more air you can harness, the greater the pressure potential."

Well, I went WAI for a month and that was a bad thing. Hooked up the Ram Air and it sings. It loves the cooler air. :mrgreen: Yesterday I bought a Shop Vac floor accessory. It is 14" x 2.5" with a 2.5" hose. 35 square inches. A little is good, more is better. :lol:

I'm going to have to relocate my unused fog light and cut out some more of the bumper 'guppy mouth' for it's new home, plus I'm getting a Shop Vac hose for gentler curves.

For passers-by, That's a Subaru WRC roof scoop with an aluminum 'motor home' two way vent in it. Open forward and my dog, Gracie, gets a lot of air in the back. Open rear facing and you get a blast of air on your ankles. Close the car windows/vents and the scoop keeps dust and skunk odors out of the car! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:51 am 

well, with the motor stii at a stand still @ the machine shop I have to admit, i'm getting rather frustrated. this is total bullsh!t...
I want my motor!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 am 

It's sad, I'm sorry for you. :(
Have they said anything? (Like, in progress).
A promise date? Do you call them weekly? (if nothing else just hello to the receptionist- 'Hi Mary, how are you, I'm bored off my ass because I don't have my engine, how are the kids?)
Normal turn around time? (if they are beyond normal you do have a complaint).
Are they the only shop in town? Do you HAVE to be patient? (Pull your engine and give it to someone else).

They have you over a barrel, so to speak, and aren't giving your G engine any respect?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:13 am 

my understanding is they are waiting on wiseco. the custom pistons I ordered are taking way longer than expected..that, and they didn't even look at my motor for 2 months after I dropped it off.... they claim they have just been busy... I will never use these guys again...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:19 pm 

If you have not given them any money then get your motor back and go with someone else.
That's the risk of doing business, tell them good luck with those pistons.
We know we can't get good service in this little town. Oh, yes, can you call wiseco and make sure you are not getting hosed?
Otherwise, sorry. Break something you can do without. Go ahead and take it personally. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:14 pm 

if anyone has a spare intake (including the throttle body) and would like to try out my tb & manifold alterations please let me know. i'm interested in seeing what other people think of them, and how well they perform in other (less modified) cars.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:19 pm 

well,still waiting to get my motor...
but on a lighter note, I have finnished wraping and painting my header and the rest of the exhaust. it looks great! (pics later)
and the dixie air horn is now installed... and it's loud!

more on topic, after some research, I think i'm going to do the air and coolent temp sensor mod as well. I like the idea of being able to "tune" my injected car on the fly. plus, if my ram air truly works, i'm certainly going to need more fuel to keep it from going lean.
needless to say, i'll never get bored tuning and tweeking this setup...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:20 pm 

a little somewhat unrelated news...

I have now found a semi local resource for stainless mandrel u bends and stainless plate. what dose this mean? well, this means not only can I build stainless headers, but that I can also begin building stainless equal length intake manifolds as well! -units that will bolt right on and will be compatible with all other stock components! (excluding egr systems... I rather dislike egrs...)
I will begin work on these once my car is on the road. for time's sake of course!
i'll keep y'all updated!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:02 am 

GIDDY UP!!!!

Currently driving a 1996 Geo Metro 1.0L
Mods coming...............

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:43 pm 

a word of warning about the stainless manifolds though, it looks like they won't be cheep... some of the prices i'm getting quoted are rather veg and kinda expensive for raw materials.... not to mention the inharent dificulty tooling and machining stainless.... i'll see what kinds of quotes I can give you guys. ( keeping in mind I have to keep both you guys and my wife happy! lol )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm 

Huston, WE HAVE ENGINE BLOCK!!!!
-and all it took was 4 1/2 months and $2300.00... :roll:
i guess all i have to do now is... re-assembel the whole car? lol

as a side note, i have completed the coolent and air temp sensor mod. i spliced two separate leads directly into the main wiring harness (into the signal wires for both sensors) at the ecu, and run both leads to 2 5k linnier trim pots which are installed right beside the dimmer switch. this way i can tune on the fly. :wink: It was tricky tracing the wires back to the ecu (only because my ohm meter has short leads :? ) and then splicing them in, but it was worth the effort as there wont be any extra resistance due to length.
i'll post pics once i find the cable for my camera.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:39 am 

Wahoo!! :yeahyeah
IMO, don't wast time reading my (our) post, get back to work!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:20 am 

well everything is at a standstill right now... I got the bottom end all together, and I was about to assemble the top end, when my wife called and had to be driven to the hospital. now, it turns out we both have H1N1 and we have both been ordered not to leave the house for at least a week... the car and motor are 100 KM away...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:20 am 

Bummer.
Take care of yourself and your wife.
Get well soon, will pray for your healing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next