TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:48 am 

I've got 90 percent of the engine together but now i'm waiting on a timing belt. NAPA shipped me the wrong one, and now they can't find the right one.... this sucks...

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:39 pm 

got the motor assembled and installed, everything hooked up and....
IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!
sounds great with the 2.25" exhaust! nice and deep....

but....
putting it into gear is a whole other matter.... infact, it won't go into gear without starting it in gear... and now i know why...
the machine shop did not follow my requests at all when it came to lightening and resurfacing my flywheel. :evil:
i requested that they resurface the friction area of the flywheel, and remove a liberal amount of material off the back of the wheel. i also discussed in detail the fact that i wanted the inner and outer edges properly radiused to reduce stress, and to have a minimum wall thickness of about 10mm. what did they do? they carved a massive swath out of the front of the wheel... -and they completly neglected to inform me of the "dssagreeance of engineering" untill i picked up the block. now, the pressure plate spring comes in direct contact with the center clutch hub when depressed... what dose that mean? I HAVE NO F**KING CLUTCH!!!!
i stupidly put it on hoping it would work... now i have to fight them for a new flywheel....
FML.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:05 pm 

well, after a long fight (and another $75.00) I got my flywheel fixed and now the trans is back in the car... now all I have to do is throw in the cv's, bleed the brakes, throw on fenders, cut a hole in my hood and get the f**king thing inspected... yay!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:57 pm 

Hey, read through your posts, (I just joined this forum) alot of reading. Pretty interesting stuff, I love the stainless. Also I have always wanted to add some control over my fuel mix,
(for the opposite reason), I aways seem to run rich. Did you oversize your pistons? I remember that you are raising the compresion. I wonder how much power gain the little fellas would get from going as big as you can. Groovy Baby 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:23 pm 

3cylburner wrote:
I always seem to run rich.

There's been some discussion on the coolant temperature lately. Seems the coolant hoses on the Throttle Body tend to clog or become restricted and the ECM makes the mixture rich. Can also cause higher rpms. :dunno:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:34 pm 

well, the beast isn't on the road yet...
after all the flywheel issues and other problems, a siezed drivers side axle has created a whole other mess of issues. i couldn't get it out of the trans, and my attempts at prying it out wrecked the shaft seal. i finally got it out the other night with a 2 ton spreader i borrowed from work. the axle half piled on the diff bearing... i'm kinda stuck with this trans and axle until cash flow improves, so i polished out the piled up material and have a new seal on order... fuck this build is taking way too long!
my plans are to build a new trans for this car when i get a chance. a full bearing and syncro rebuild with the xfi final drive i have kicking around, and a t3 diff with a phantom gripper. i also want to try and see what i can do to brace up the trans a bit. i know i won't be making the same amount of power as a turbo, but redundant measures aren't a bad idea imo.
trouble is, i'm looking at about another grand to do what i want. i'm already into this car about $3300.00 and quite frankly i need to get it on the road soon... :roll:

i'll let you guys know how well this all goes down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:32 am 

Sorry to hear of the problems. :cry:
You'll overcome them.
Well, Happy New Year! :mrgreen:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:23 pm 

the driver side trans seal's in and holding. no leaks anywhere. just finnished rock guarding my fenders, the hood scoop intake assembly is finnished and the water injection selinoid and regulater valves are now plumbed and ready. just a little more to go...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 am 

the hole in the hood is now cut for the hood scoop! I installed the scoop and air-cleaner assembly and wow, it's definatly a geo with personality! it looks awsome! especialy when the car's ideling. that scoop realy hops around!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:09 pm 

that reminds me, what kind of base timing are people running with the 222/365 cam? it's timed according to stock specs at the moment. I know I could always advance it 'till it pings and then turn it back a hair, but I was just wonderin...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 pm 

Pictures? Better yet... video?

I'm running 9 deg. of timing. I understand some engines don't ping, I just never trusted my hearing so I don't use the ping/no ping method.

I'm considering an MSD 6a... :huh:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm 

I hope to get it properly timed tonight and everything ready for the insurance inspection. i do finaly have my camera back, so i will try to take a few pics and possibly a video as i go. i certainly need to throw some new fuel in it though. the gas that's in it is over a year old and one good look at the fuel filter tells me it either hasn't been changed, or at least not in the last few years! (the guy i bought it from was smart like fence post =) )

i can probably post pics on saturday

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:38 am 

i know i promised pics of the car, but the internet at the farm is down and i'm not allowed to upload anything at work... i am still working on getting some posted for you guys though...
i've got it on the road now! i've put the first 250kms on it (a short run around town, then back home and to work again) and everything feels great! i cant wait to see what it can actualy do! lol.
by the way, for all that didn't believe... the hoodscoop buries my vacuum guage (after the throttle body) at 100kph with the throttle 1/2 to 3/4 cracked and actualy seems to develop some boost. i'll try to rig up a guage to measure the pressure differance ahead of the throttle body to provide a quantative result for everybody.
at the moment though, i'm just happy to have it on the road! lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:07 pm 

:yeahyeah Wahoooooooo!! :cheers: :clap:
So don't waste time with us... go for a drive! :wink: :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 pm 

well, she's running great, but it seems I have run into a little issue... right now the tep outside is around -20 C and the car handles it just fine, but the coolent line that supplies "hot" coolant to the heater core comes straight off the bottom of the intake manifold. the hood scoop dumps all that ambiant cold air into the intake manifold making it and the coolant supplied to the heater rather cold. inturn, the heater turned all the way up on high harly puts out any heat at all. I think I may have to replumb the heater lines if I don't wish to freeze....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:34 pm 

Consider installing a Katz coolant heater? I love mine which is mounted on the strut tower next to the battery. It pulls from a "T" in the heater core "in" line and dumps coolant back into the "in" line to TB maybe 5 cm from the TB.

But wait, if I read this correctly, my heater core has the intake coming directly off the black pipe that is connected to the water pump. Small 1 cm tube, braised to the black tube. It's a straight line between the pipe and right heater core tube. The left heater core tube curves into the TB. :huh: Yours sounds backwards?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 am 

i was thinking the same thing at first also.. the trouble is, that is the suction side of the water pump. all coolant that flows down that pipe is being sucked in by the water pump impeller to feed the block, there fore it cannot "back flow" to pressure. the coolant that feeds the intake manifold & heater core comes off the thermostat housing and is theoreticly pressurized in relation to the main suction line, causing flow between the inlet & discharge lines of the heater core.
the sloution to my heater problem is actualy rather simple and requires 2 tees and a small amount of coolant line. one tee must go directly off the thermostat housing to supply coolant to both the intake manifold (although that defeats the purpose of cold air intake) and heater core. the other tee would go between the heater core discharge line and the waterpump suction line. this way both systems will run in paralell insted of being in a circut.

"oh what fun this winter stuff can be eh?"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm 

Yes, indeed!
Oh, HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY! :cheers: :sunny:
This reminds me to add a "T" to my catch can and include the now capped off PCV valve in the vacuum process. It's been suggested to do this to get the same vacuum that was originally deigned for the valve cover. Can't hurt, eh. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 am 

scratch, I read you were to use a T3 diff with a 3 cylinder ring and pinion. when you do so, make sure your pinion makes full contact with the ringgear. look for my pics in the tranny carnage post, I suspect the ring gear height is different when using the bigger diff carrier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 am 

i am familliar with the possible diff ring gear enguagement issues, thank you though. i have read through that section many times, and i know that stern warning is well founded.

well, a bit of an update with the car:

i swaped out the stock 155/80/R12 rims and rubber for the wheels off my other project car (89' swift DOHC gti) with 185/80/R14's and wow, what a differance! the issues of too much torque and involentary burn outs are gone! it's amazing what happens when you hook up eh?

the motor is finaly broken in, so i've been out for a few small runs to stretch it's legs a little, and it's turning out to be a rather fun little car to drive! how ever, i do think i may end up switching to a +6 degree timing sproket. i kinda want to move the power band up a little.

i also have some results from a little run i made on the way to work this morning. i didn't really push it, but still, it's a ball park figure. i have a Beltronics Vector FX1 performance computer that i've been fooling around with as i tune the motor. all i can give you rightnow is time figures untill i get an accurate weight of the car.

1/4 mile: 20.77sec @ 65.1mph
1/8 mile: 13.33sec @ 52.3mph
0-60mph : 16.70sec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:17 pm 

finaly, a few pics!

the motor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 pm 

Wahoo!!! :cheers: :sunny: :worship:

Very nice piece of engineering. :!:

Thanks for the new desktop pictures. Very, very happy for you. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:33 pm 

i really need to paint it though... :?
i'm thinking cuz my wife dubed it the redneck wagon, i'm 'a paint it "Mossy Oak" camo. =)
the best part is i'm serious! lol

by the way, is there any good way rais the ride height of a mk2? like, several inches?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:59 pm 

Grab some front springs out of a 93 era ford ranger pickup, the V8 version has stiff springs that should raise it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:13 pm 

Except for the fact that there were no V8 ford rangers...where do these people come from?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next