TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:26 pm 

I recently did a spark plug change to my car, and I was shocked pulling out those Bosch platinums and putting in standard fare copper ones (don't know namebrand, probably uh.. the usual ones.)

Anyway, got me thinking about why I'd wand platinum instead of copper. I'm looking at the numbers. Platinum is, in fact, isn't all that great of a conductor, and is on par with copper in heat transfering.

The melting point of copper is 1080 celcius compared to 1700 for platinum, so I don't imagine I have to worry about copper melting more than platinum. When would my copper tip ever get to 1080? I don't know if it'd get that hot if I just ran current solid through it. I don't know.

It's more resistant to stuff than copper, but who cares?

Let's talk about the price difference. Don't know if it's worth it. Just an imho. I changed em out and my car runs the same, or better, or not. Who knows really? Placebo effect you know.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:14 pm 

You have to change Plats less often. And spark heat (generated by the plug) should be MUCH hotter than what's in your combustion chamber.

I think it should be as hot as possible to cause complete combustion (without detonation).

But I think it's one of those things that don't matter in 100HP cars. :) New cars with Plats last 50K Miles? That's pretty insano to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:39 pm 

Yeah, I have changed a number of plugs in a number of different vehicles over the years, and Platinums really do seem (imo) to last a lot longer. After fighting to remove some "regular" NGK and AC-Delco plugs with only 50k on them, and seeing just how much more the tip wears, I'm convinced. So for most people, I say platinums all the way!

Now this doesnt really count if you're a wacko like me, and take them out every other oil change just to see how the different cylinders are running, and to look at the condition of them... :razz:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 pm 

Platinum plugs only have platinum at the tip.
The core is still likely copper, like copper plugs.

Plat plugs hold their gap much longer. This is one of the reasons manufacturers are getting away saying "no maintenance for 60K, or even 100K miles", but as some of you have found out, sometime the plug is now a PITA to get out.

'regular' plugs only go for 20-30K miles.
Plats are 60K+ miles.

- New bearings and 1st/2nd synchros at 440.5K miles.
- MPGuino
- Averaging ~ 51MPG these days