TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:25 pm 

i currently have a 1ltr gls swift wih a 1.3ltr 8valve engine waiting to go in

what would be advisable to do to engine before i put it in my car either easy performance upgrades or safeguards like cambelt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 pm 

On my engine install I wish I had gone ahead and put a new 2 stage clutch in. Hindsight. Little did I know I'd want performance upgrades down the road. :vibe:

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:56 pm 

I don't know shit from shinola but if the 1L is fine, can't you just keep it until it dies?

Back to the topic, jam it in! For sure it'll be a learning experience, and what better way to learn than to completely fail? You'll never forget it!!!

Like the time one of my weights slid off my weight belt when scuba diving lol, NO FUN trying to dive down to get it back in 2 degree celcius water in a wetsuit!!!! KNOW WHERE THE BUCKLE IS AT ALL TIMES!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:15 pm 

head gasket, clutch and gearbox are fuked losing lots of water from gasket but no oil thank god water is free lol

i took this as i sign tht i need a new engine and the 1.3 SOHC came across my path so great lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 am 

I get the picture... :sunny:
Well, thinking of it, depends on the shape of the 1.3. It might be easier to rebuild it before installing but not so hard after. But if you know it's in good shape for compression and carbon go for it. :yeahyeah
It should be able to fit in the car. I've seen a YouTube video of a fellow who did it. I went with new intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, new vacuum, fuel and coolant hoses when I installed my new engines. Be sure to clean the exhaust passage to the EGR through the block. Check before hand to see that all the ECM's sensors will be able to be connected properly.
After an install you can rebuild the head and re-ring or replace pistons/head gasket etc. but the clutch would involve a removal.

'91 Metro, rescued from trip to junk yard. SuzukiRD Underpulley & Header. 3Tech 9mm plug wires & 218/350 cam +10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII, synthetic fluids. K&N, Optima, Catco, Jones glasspack, & KYB struts. Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm ground system, Ram Air. No TBI bridge. No A/C - roof scoop works.
'96 Metro - The Wife's car: SuzukiRD Underpulley, 3Tech econo cam +10 gear, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Syn. & grounded. No TBI bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 am 

i have replaced all gaskets and seals next question

will my driveshafts fit the gearbox does anybody know or will i need the driveshafts for tht engine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am 

lowza wrote:
i have replaced all gaskets and seals next question

will my driveshafts fit the gearbox does anybody know or will i need the driveshafts for tht engine

No and yes in that order - the four banger is offset to the right and uses different length drive shafts.

Now - how about you search - this swap has been done before, the questions asked and answered before and there are a number of other differences that you will run into along the way, engine mounts, shift linkages possibly the flywheel and clutch - and - you don't mention year so I can't tell but if it's fuel injected rather than carbureted then you're going to have even more fun with the wiring.

Don't get me wrong - it is certainly do-able - and all the details you need to know are right in these forums.