TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:08 pm 

So I've noticed there isn't much support to help the poor little engine/trans mounts deal with extra torsion loads added by upgrades such as Mike's Complete Head Package, NOS, a Turbo Kit, etc... So I've decided I would enjoy making one. Some transverse mounted FWD cars have a 'Dog Bone' that attaches with a bracket from the upper cyl head area to the radiator core support, so that's what I'll do... but I'm going to use a coil over shock I've acquired to do the trick instead of a rigid steel piece with rubber bushings. I remember the last time I had Mike send me the nastiest cam that would work in my stock head, the engine mounts didn't seem to be enjoying their life very much anymore, I figured I'd address this right away when my new head gets in. I drove that old car around the shop with the hood off and was impressed with how much extra movement the engine/trans got with the added torque.

So, that's the problem. My solution involves a 720 pounds per inch rate spring wrapped around a small compression dampened shock absorber (this particular one does not have rebound dampening, so it 'springs' back quickly.) I don't see this as a problem since the engine torques toward the core support under load in a forward gear. This is where the dampener will do its thing. I'm hoping it will help soften the jolt to the mounts from wheel hop and such that I'm sure I'll have running stock 13" tires and stock suspension (for now) with extra power.

My father-in-law is going to fab up the brackets out of aluminum for me and I'll get some pics on here when it's in.

This may very well not be the coil over I end up staying with; we'll see how it performs. I'll be sure to include any lessons learned, however, so anyone else interested can cut to the chase ;)

If anyone has this already fab'd up on their ride for drag racing or other reasons and has info to share on their experiences: I'm all ears!

Thanks!

'90 MKII Hatch: 'The Geod' A.K.A. 'Car Fire!'
3Tech Performance Head/Cam/ Package, 3Tech +7Deg Cam Cog., Accel Super Stock Coil,
Remote Oil Filter and oil cooler/Temp. Gauge, other stuff...

Last edited by maddmaxx on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:43 pm 

Some aftermarket upper strut bars for these cars have an attatchment point for a similar bar. Some also tie in to the firewall. You would be better tying in to the firewall IMHO.... the radiator core support is about one of the flimsy-est areas on these cars. You can easily bend the radiator core support by hand- firewall, not so much.

Have you filled your current engine mounts with windshield urethane yet? I have about 140 whp with mine filled and rarely if ever have wheel hop. So far this mod alone has lasted almost 30k boosted miles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:34 pm 

You are my hero! I was trying to figure out where to get a high density urethane that I could mold and twist to my own evil plans :twisted:

I was thinking that myself (flimsy core support) and was prepared to brace it when the time came..... but since I'm having my father in law fab up my strut brace as well....... I could probably tie it into that. Problem is the particular shock I have only has valving for compression, not for rebound, so I can't pull it, I have to squeeze it. The bracket can be built to accomidate this, it's just gonna be more aluminum. I'm very tempted to just use a solid piece; but I'm still going to street drive it and I have this crazy dilusion that this way will somehow feel smoother at the wheel than a solid dog bone would... and I already have this part just waiting to be used for something it wasn't designed for!

Thanks a TON for the extra info! My father in law is actually a professional glazer and can get me that crap for free, bonus! I'm such a tard for not thinking of that myself!!

Peace!

3Tech Performance Head/Cam/ Package, 3Tech +7Deg Cam Cog., Accel Super Stock Coil,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:42 pm 

Dude, serously??? Woodburn?!?! That's f*ng sweet ;) I'm up in P-Town (actually a bit out of it in Forest Grove.) When I get some crap done, it would be pretty sweet to meet up and see one of your rigs. I'm always up to meeting other gearheads. I see you ride as well, maybe a bike ride next season would be in order ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:01 pm 

I agree with the front bar being way to flimsy to brace too, but thought it might cause too much cabin noise if the brace went to the firewall, so i was going to make a nice strut brace out of aircraft wing-strut tube, and make a top engine brace to the wing strut tube.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:18 pm 

That seems to be the best option now. I never even thought of (or cared for that matter) extra noise transmitted through the fire wall by it. But, why design something poorly because you have a lack of knowledge or give-a-$h1t when you can just as easily design it right and skip all the extra side effects?
Good idea!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:26 pm 

Just for the record: When I searched the site, I tarded up so damn bad I didn't even find the topics on the windshield urethane in the motormount trick that I can find now that I know what I'm looking for :lol: Meh, whatev. I hope this topic helps others in their quest for the same end goal ;) :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:03 pm 

maddmaxx wrote:
I'm very tempted to just use a solid piece; but I'm still going to street drive it and I have this crazy dilusion that this way will somehow feel smoother at the wheel than a solid dog bone would... Peace!

Dont forget you could just make a dogbone with a void in it, and fill the void with the same ureathane. That would cut down a bunch on NVH vs. a solid bar too....

I'm willing to bet just filling the mounts would do it... I have been pretty hard on my car with the mounts filled and turbo torque and drag launches, and it is holding up fine w/ no wheel hop.