TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 am 

Is this a good idea? (In small quantities). Or should it always be sucked in through the intake?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:20 pm 
Suzuki Elder

spalling carbon in flakes or chunks off the piston crown always gives me the willies. personally, i always felt better about doing that with the engine running so at least the chunks get blown out the exhaust valves.

an old shade tree mechanic trick that i was shown 40 years ago is to fill a 16 oz. pepsi bottle with cold water from the spring house, get the engine up to temp, and drizzle that cold water down the throat of the carb (in this case, the throttle body) while holding the butterfly open with a thumb on the bell crank (where the throttle cable is attached) to keep the engine running.

that cold water hits the hot carbon on the piston and shatters it like glass. all the spalled carbon blows out the exhaust.

we called that a hillbilly tune up. :lol: you could also just run the piss out of the car on the highway. that used to clear the carbon on my old v8s. :twisted:

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:41 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
an old shade tree mechanic trick that i was shown 40 years ago is to fill a 16 oz. pepsi bottle with cold water from the spring house, get the engine up to temp, and drizzle that cold water down the throat of the carb (in this case, the throttle body) while holding the butterfly open with a thumb on the bell crank (where the throttle cable is attached) to keep the engine running.
that cold water hits the hot carbon on the piston and shatters it like glass. all the spalled carbon blows out the exhaust.

Yeah, we used to do that to 'steam clean' the combustion chambers on the old V-8s. Rev it a bit, and hold that carb wide open while you mix a stream of water from the hose (we didn't get as fancy as the East Coast with their Pepsi bottles), mixing water with a wide open throttle so that the engine wouldn't race, but did pass a lot of water through it.
Afterwards, you could go to the back of the car, and hear the difference. It cleaned out the combustion chambers a bit, but eventually you'd still have to swap in new rings. The secret was knowing WHEN to do it. Most of the time we tried it on engines which kept fouling plugs. Steam clean, new set of points, plugs and condenser...and my breath felt fresher for hours.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tell our fine member from Florida what the GC says Seafoam contains.

DIY Shocks: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45483
DIY Wheel Align: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42479
Once you get the cars dialed-in (compression, leaks, bearings, alignment, brakes) swap in new rubber and glass, you've got something which should last for years!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:47 pm 
Suzuki Elder

Phil N Ed wrote:
Tell our fine member from Florida what the GC says Seafoam contains.

...and the gas chomatograph says.....kerosine. :mrgreen:

in all fairness, there was a small spike for naptha, too.

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 pm 

Seafoam... didn't do much fer me. I let a (removed)piston soak for 3 days and the carbon was as hard as day one.

The redneck... or was it hillbilly? :wink: water thing is good n cheap but be carefull not to cause hydro lock. Back off on the water if the engine trys stalling. More rpms more water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am 
Suzuki Elder

i've always preferred marvel mystery oil over seafoam, especially as a top end additive.

a capful in the crankcase and another in the fuel tank keeps the rings from gumming up and seizing. it also keeps those hydraulic lifters from yappin'. :D

there aren't many "miracles in a can" that i really believe in. once rings are bound up in the piston grooves, they're done for. the only thing i trust is pulling the pistons, cleaning them up, and installing new rings in square, undamaged, and freshly honed bores.

fortunately, the engines are simple enough that you can do all that with the mill still in the engine bay. the engine design is robust enough that there is still one of lizzie's old mk4 swifts running around town with over 300,000 miles on it, half of that put on the clock after i did a junkyard replacement of the #4 piston assembly and the head after the engine sucked a valve. i didn't even hone the bore, either. i just shoved a junkyard piston in it! :lol:

My Turbo3 Project
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 pm 

Seafoam works for me.

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:29 pm 
@ssclown

I forgot all about that water trick an old wrench by the name of Bob Woodman showed my dad and i that 25 years ago.He worked for Ford for 30 plus years. i also recall him messing with the spark plug wires and getting it to back fire out the old Stromberg carb anyhow it back fired a few times he said "that should knock that shit right out of there" and it did the truck ran like a champ after that.Bob is in his late 80's now he may not remember the trick but i will let him know some old tricks are not for gotten he will get a kick out of hearing it.