TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:25 pm 

A couple of days ago I was talking to a machinist. He was looking at my gsxr1000 and was asking questions. He is used to hayabusas engines and was telling me a couple of things. Now, I'm not sure I understood it correctly but here it goes:
As I understand it, you can take out the sleeve out of the hayabusa block, get the block "treated" with some kind of coating. Therefore you can use some pretty big pistons in it. He also told there aren't a lot of companies in the state that can or are doing this.

Now, I'm just curious, if something similar can be done with the gti engine block, what's the biggest possible bore that can be achieved? 8)

I searched for some info on the hayabusa block and this is what I got. Don't know if it is treated with coating or not, but to jump from a 1.3 to 1.5 with just the bore changed is nice IMO.
If you look at the "wall" between pistons it very thin also.

http://www.muzzys.com/0007-00001/

On a side note, amazing how they can reach up to 1.7ltr from a 1.3ltr block.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 pm 
Suzuki Elder

manufacturers have been building dirt bike engine cylinders using the aluminum jugs without bore liners for years. they have a rig that vaporizes a chromium alloy wire inside the bore that deposits the hard material on the aluminum. that plating technique lets the rings seat to the chromium in the bore.

that works okay for a bike, you can unbolt the jugs and replace them pretty inexpensively. i wouldn't be game to try that on a standard engine block. once the rings wore the vaporized chromium out of the bores, you'd need a new engine block.

it's pretty straight forward to pull the cylinder liners out of a g family engine, bore the block to accept oversized liners, install those and finish bore them to go from 74mm to 75mm pistons. i'm not really sure how big you could go before the liners got too thin. i know that the water jackets on the suzuki g family blocks are the limiting factor.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:30 pm 

t3 ragtop wrote:
i know that the water jackets on the suzuki g family blocks are the limiting factor.

Ok, i didn't know this. I guess we can't get a lot bigger than. :(

Maybe 76mm is the limit after all.

Thank you.

1991-GTi: JE 75mm 11:1 pistons,Ported head, Single UD pulley (OCC),Sandros chip,Aluminium flywheel,3tech 222/365 cams, Cultus headers,Cultus IM,50mm tb,Crane cams adjustable cam gears,Apex suspension, 4.39fd GB.
1989-GTi: 3Tech 210/340 Cams,Cultus IM, B&G springs, TD04L turbo, Apexi SAFC, Suzukird UD pulley, Circuitse7en dual boost controller, AEM wideband, AEM water / meth injection kit, HKS bov.
2001-Altezza AS200: Stock.-sold
2003-EVO7 GT-A
Aruba "one happy island".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 pm 

The guys at SuzukiRD in FLA know the answer as they sell stupidly oversize pistons for resleeved blocks. I recall +4 mm being achievable at great expense. There are a couple machine shops that he has sold to that have sleeved to 78mm pistons by cutting down sleeves from other applications, but you gotta be dedicated to your racing class to go that far. The upside is cylinder head flow improves dramatically with the increased bore (with appropriate head mods) making it worth daydreaming about.

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 am 

Trouble is, you get port "shadowing" as the head was never designed to accommodate that large of a bore.
I was an apprenticing motorcycle mechanic for 3 years (then got out of it) and chrome cylinders don't last. It's easy to do on a bike because the cylinder bank is removable. (due to the fact that engine and trans are one) gti cylinder banks move enough as it is, let alone removing the sleeves... You would need to install seveal block girdles in stages to strengthen it up enough to take it. Plus, if the block ever gets too hot and the chrome cracks and peels, it'll grenade in a big way... I've seen rods break, cranks snap at the mains... Bad deal...

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:17 pm 

I don't know how the Swift engine could be done but the R1 motorcycle has nicasil plating on aluminum cylinders and it is a monoblock. My Rx1 snowmobile uses many of the same parts as the R1. The downside of this is that when one cyl needs attention the whole block needs to be stripped and replated(ask me how I know).. The cylinder oin the Rx1 are free floating and they can get up to 350hp without doing any block mods. There's race shops out there getting close to 600hp out of this same basic design.

Ken.....