TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:09 pm 

How many of you guys build up your intake ports with ancored epoxy to slightly change the port's shape? I have a buddy that uses a product called liquid metal on his engines, but I'm wandering if anyone else has had success with other products.

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:00 am 

Liquid metal is good stuff.

Drag racers use it alot to get better flow (drag racing engines use a much different port shape to street motors).

It sets harder thant the parent metal in most cases.

The trick is to get it to bond, so you have to almost notch the ports, because the last thing you want is for it to some away from the port!!

You may get away with shotblasting the port for roughness but I dont fancy blasting a hole through one of the water jackets in any of my heads.

HTH. Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:19 pm 

Everyone is going to say "can't be done" but I've been running JB Weld (the version that claims to be gasoline resistant) on a street T3 cylinder head for 2 solid years of daily commuting with no failures. However, the head had been freshly hot tanked when I applied the JB Weld so the metal was absolutely clean. And I was using it to fill in the swirl tube divots in the short side radius so it had a rather deep and oddly shaped hole to cling to. I've heard of Devcon being used successfully as well.

The tier 1 engine builders like some expensive stuff called 770 or 777, I can't remember which. I know when I priced it out, it over $100 for minimum quantity available like a qt or a gallon. That's why I bailed for the cheap route.

I see Edelbrock is now relabeling somebody's two part epoxy for porting work under part # 9290 for $26. Can't go wrong there.
Cheers and happy porting.

F/S 89 Swift GTi body only
F/S 92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:04 pm 

I plan on filling the voids around the brass "swirl tubes" as well as the reliefs cast in to the head for the injectors. (TBIs obviously have no need for them.) Those "swirl tubes" as you called them, what is the official purpose behind them? I have my theories, but I haven't seen anything official in my books. The fact that the intake manifold connects all three and dose not link them with anything else leads me to suspect they serve to balance all three ports? They are however rather small for the job, if that is their purpose.
Either way, with the voids filled and some mild porting, I think that MK2 G10 head will perform rather well. (assuming proper port alignment, matching and gaskets fitting right) 
I may even use some in the intake manifold... Now there's an ignorant POS IMO. Not designed well at all...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:47 pm 

I can't seem to source liquid metal at the moment, so looks like JB weld is going to have to do. I bought the marine grade stuff seeing as how it has the same properties as the regular stuff, but it is more resistant to moisture and corrosive environments.
Though it may be a sin, im tamporing with one of mike's brand new 3-tec heads when i do this... Im going to have to take it all apart, re-port it, then re-clean it afterwords... Fun. I will post pics when I'm done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 pm 

I think I have some devcon aluminum filled epoxy. Want me to fill the spots in the head before I port it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 am 

If you want, that would be awsome!
I was going to fill the mpi reliefs and fill in around the little brass tubes to reduce turbulence in the port.
All i have to do is the work on the intake manifold then. It will be interesting to see how this motor compares to my other one HP wise. Either way, the NOS is going to help! Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:58 am 

The "swirl tubes" tie into the idle circuit btw. They are fed by the 4 oriphi in line with the throttle plate. They serve to direct air & fuel from the top of the throttle pate to the valve in a more direct path. This is obviously required at idle as the throttle plate is completely closed. If they weren't there, fuel would pool on top of the throttle plate during idle and potentialy cause a lean situation at idle, then flood the motor after bumping the motor as well...
Not a bad way to solve that issue...