TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:14 pm 

So... I've been having Reeeeeeeelly low oil pressure readings from my oil pr. guage. So I dropped the pan to pull the oil pump and replace it, and found aluminum shavings... scrolls more like. About 2millimeters across and3-4 mills long.... large enuff to get stopped by the strainer... I DON'T think these are from main or rod bearings, because it seems like they're too big. Motor was making ZERO noise. But maybe the turbo? I dunno... man I don't wanna have to pull this thing back down again! Any ideas?

Attachments:
1319170092863.jpg
1319170092863.jpg [ 7.91 KIB | Viewed 1930 times ]
1319170333144.jpg
1319170333144.jpg [ 6.77 KIB | Viewed 1929 times ]

AHM NOT AN AHSOE!!! DO I LOOK LIKE AN AHSOE!?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:55 pm 

What is the compression of the motor like?
What motor is it?

First thoughts from me would be possibly a cracked/failing/scarred crank taking out your thrust bearings... That is, if the mains and rod bearings are ok as you say. Or it could be shavings off a piston that cracked a ring... Cranked the boost on cheap gas lately? Heard any pinging? How well dose it run now? Either way, large shavings in the pan are an inication something is going horribly wrong...low oil pressure only confirms that..
I hate to say, but i would suspect that it is serious...

May not always be pretty, but Rednecks Git'R'Done Good!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 pm 

Ok the entire story is like this. I've been having low oil pressure readings lately, so I changed my oil and put Mobil 1 in. The fresh oil helped, and imI seeing 50psi as iI cruise at 65the mph, but that day I put my foot in the throttle and pushed a head gasket out. So I pulled the head, cleaned the surfaces, and pulled the pan to to get rid of any crud the roloc disk might've knocked down into the oil galleys. This is a g13b twin cam gt engine ;cams; lo-comp pistons; turbo'd at 18 psi... yada yada.... so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to do a comp check yet. BUT, The cylinder walls look perfect from top and bottom, and there's no slop anywhere. I run 93 octane 85% of the time, and 92 octane the rest of the time when 93 isn't available. But ALWAYS PREMIUM.
I appreciate your prompt reply _scratch_, and I agree with you; I DO think it is the thrust bearing(s)... but I just don't see the forged steel crank cracking or breaking without breaking or melting a piston 1st!!! Well know tomorrow, I'm gonna pull it out and see where im at with it.... I just don't know why it would chew the thrust bearings up like that :huh:

AHM NOT AN AHSOE!!! DO I LOOK LIKE AN AHSOE!?!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:47 pm 

even if you think they are ok, check the bearings while you have them on hand, you should plastiguage it, anything more lose than 0.0015 inch makes big difference in oil pressure....

good luck

td05h-16g @ 18 psi
SRP forged civic piston
suprf1y's 200-335i 210-240e camshaft
1.6 gearbox with swift sport 2007 gear ratios
cusco 1way LSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:51 am 

What ^^^ said. I believe the factory tolerance limit (difference between std. and minimum) is just around 0.002" so 0.0015" is a good assumption of tolerance limit.

2010 Suzuki Jimny - The DD Workhorse!